Dark Knight - Sticky Bomb Gun [FIRST TRY]

Doc Chop

Hey there,

I just wanted to share my experience with my first self-made movie prop. I choosed the Sticky Bomb Gun from "The Dark Knight" because it didn´t got as much screen time as it deserved.

(If you don´t remember the scenes: 1. Batman shoots little sticky bombs with timer with this gun on the windows of an opposite tower in Hong Kong. 2. Batman uses it in the finale with the Joker´s men in the skyscraper construction site, shooting the same bombs on pillars.)

First you will possibly think the same as I did: "Well, it´s a gun, isn´t it?" But it´s so much more than that. If watch the Hong Kong scene, you´ll notice that the gun is separated in two parts. The rear part can be rotated to make it longer and the "control section" can be sledded. Also there is a 3 digit LED display, with which you can set the timer of the bombs. The front part can be sledded apart and a grip can be expanded. Also both parts must be connected to work. You see, it´s quite an interesting piece of technology.

dksbg2.jpg

So first I was searching for pictures of it on the internet, but there were no high quality photographs available. Even no pictures of the original one could be found. So I had to rely on pictures of it from a 1/6 model of Batman from Hot Toys which included a working model of the gun in the same scale. Because the model was about 10 centimeters long I set the length of the original one to nearly 60 centimeters.

The next step was to draw some first sketches by those pictures. This went really well and so I used these sketches as a model for the rest of the measures.

imag02792.jpg

After I got them I bought some medium-density fibreboard (MDF) with a thickness of 22 millimeters. The I cut out the first parts of the "control section" and glued them.

But soon I got another pictured and saw that it needed to be thicker than thought. Also the cuts where realy rough, because I had to use a jigsaw. So I decided to start all over again and used a scroll saw, which allows me to make thinner cuts out of the MDF. And I made three layers of 18 millimeters MDF to get the right thickness.

Because of technical problems with the scroll saw I had to make a break but hopefully today I´ll be able to continue working on the gun.

(More information and full size pictures in my blog)

Hey, thanks for the contributions. I just found a picture of the first try with two layers, as said it´s to thin (and way too rough). But for your interest
p13106772.jpg

But I think you can see how it´s intended to look like, when it´s ready. I will make new photos of the current status this evening.

But right now I´m thinking about how to make the three digit LED Display. It would be best if I could just turn the wheel an set the time, but I don´t have any experience about electronics. Does anybody know where I can get a schematic for that?

this is one of my future projects I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.. good work so far loooks awesome! well done keep us posted

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back