Dark Knight Returns Batsuit

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by The BrickKeeper, Jun 15, 2015.

  1. The BrickKeeper

    The BrickKeeper New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    Hey y'all! So, with Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice coming out next year, as well as preparing to start college, I realized that the time was now to begin my batsuit. So, I decided to go with something along these lines:
    dark-knight-returns-comic-01_1200_801_81_s.jpg
    Now, I'm 6'3", 240 lbs., so, a larger Batman was quite appealing. In accordance with creating the suit, however, I am bulking up a bit, because it is very hard to look good in spandex. I have, and will be using leather for the cowl, gauntlets, boot covers, shorts, and the symbol, and a stretchy, gray material for the suit itself. Since I have the cowl and cape more or less done, I'll go ahead and talk about how I did them.

    For my leather, I just chose a black upholstery leather from Jo-Ann's, that matched a pair of boots I already owned (I'll post pictures when I reach the boot covers.) decently well. My first attempt at a cowl was interesting, to say the least. I used the Jim Lee pepakura file:
    Screenshot 2015-06-15 10.51.42.png
    I did something different from the standard procedure: I sewed the pattern. Using 2mm foam, I used a butterfly stitch and sewed the parts, to decent success. However, I had made a couple of mistakes in the scaling, and didn't realize this till I was almost done attaching the leather to the foam. So, I started all over again, with a file that was fitted to my head. This time, I didn't add the foam, but simply made the cowl using leather. The cape was a simple matter, just cutting out the pattern on the leather, then sewing it together. I don't have any pictures of the cape as of right now, but when I get to the suit itself, then I'll post some. Anyway, here are some pics of the cowl, both in the process, and with the finished product, that I used for a Batman: Zero Year quick costume. Enjoy!
    FB_IMG_1433645176446.jpg

    This was the first attempt, with just the foam.
    1559431_1453255958324406_8139710419933283628_o.jpg
    After I started to apply the leather. The head was scaled correctly, but the shoulder section was not.
    IMG_1675.JPG
    Here the first cowl is almost done. However, it just wasn't quite right. After re-doing it, I came up with this:
    IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    Here's the second cowl, made solely of leather.

    I'll be posting more pics and info as I build the suit. But, if you'd like to check out some other pics of the suit, and of anything else I come up with, be sure to check out my Facebook page Cloud 9!
     

Share This Page