Dark Arts Defence Basics for Beginners - Harry Potter

nurmengart

Sr Member
Hey everyone!

It has been a long while since I last shared a completely new project on the board.

And I think it is about due time to change that!

I have recently completed a replica of the Dark Arts Defence Basics for Beginners book from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and I would really like to show you all my favorite parts of it.

The textbook was given to the students by Dolores Umbridge when she became the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts in yet another attempt by the Ministry of Magic to take over the school.

In all, what they were really hoping for was to prevent the pupils from using magic and practicing actual spells.

However, unlike the mortifying classes they had to go through, the book they used is a real gem!!!

One of the things that I really like about it is that the whole visual concept idea was to diminish Harry and his classmates (which were in their fifth year at the time) to an elementary level of learning.

To convey that idea to the audience the graphic designers really filled it out with illustrations referencing the art style of vintage children’s books with the ever so charming wizarding twist.

Sadly, only the cover of the book got a real neat close up on screen in the movie.

But now you can see some of the best that was hidden within right here!

I hope you enjoy!! ^^

-nurmengart

D6XYhxx.jpg

NGDL1pS.jpg

vRPlqdX.jpg

gHSo4CS.jpg

6ppgMLa.jpg

f2xSgrd.jpg

SzWY4Yp.jpg

oEcY6HI.jpg

Merlin's beard! What a fantastic piece you've created. Where did you get the contents? Did you create/draw all the pages yourself? Tell us more about how you created it, please. You've got my curiosity peaked, that's for sure.
Fantastic!

Thank you both very much for the interest!

Well, the book is made to be an exact replica of the ones that were created for filming, so all the content inside is taken from the original.

I did not want any made up pages in my replica. All the text and illustrations are as they were inside the actual movie prop.

So, like other books created for the Harry Potter films they designed a section that was repeated when necessary and bound together to give the thickness they wanted it to have.

I guess that as with many wizarding props the hardest part is the research. I was aware that there were several pages created for this from the Artbox prop cards years and years back, so the desire to have it had already been holding inside for a while.

Luckily, there were many copies of the book made for the movie scene and many were used in exhibitions and displays around the world.

Still, it was very hard to get to it, as there seems to exist a sense of protection from the production to prevent that these make their way to public access.

But after many years into prop replica, I feel like I can say that “hard to get”’ is what really drives me, seeing the details that are hidden away from the world. I believe that is why I am always gravitating towards the newspapers and books. There is so much within that is not seen.

Anyway… After that was done it was a matter of tracking the sources that were used as in fonts, illustrations, clipart, books.

Every page was created from scratch but (as I am sure you must be familiar with) designs made for the Potter films often feature actual found illustrations that are changed up.

Months later in researching and making I had the necessary assets I needed.

Put in a hat, draw in a beard, get in a wand and you get that magic feel that is required. ^^

The final step was the physical realization of it, I had never done a book before, so I was a bit concerned that the finish would not be as polished as I wanted.

However, these were manually bound for the movie prop and printed on special paper, so I did not want that cover-swapped-internet-printed-textured-background sort of thing.

It was huge a challenge to adjust colors to print correctly (so many test prints, so many), the cloth spine not to leak through, smooth edge cutting, figure out the binding style they had used for the original and signature organization/page repetitions, I had done a few tests before, and I could not get it to open like the movie prop at the beginning as it should not just fall flat.

Took me a few tries, but fourth time is the charm it seems!

Well, I guess that is it! I am not sure I left something out, but if there is anything I missed please ask away! (-:

51a7Vlx.jpg

3jFBaQj.jpg

pkigb4E.jpg

UYmzbif.jpg

Reminds me of trying to gather all of the pages for the Monster Book of Monsters! They did the same repeated pages in that book as well.
Thank you for showing us the work!

Nurmengart, you certainly are diligent and tenacious, that's for sure. It's a truly splendid piece and any Harry Potter collector would just LOVE to add something so beautifully done to their collection. You are a real artist! Thanks so much for sharing some of your hard work. It inspires a lot of us.

Very flattering words thank you all once again!!

Yes! It's actually the same amount of pages they did for The Monster Book of Monsters aswell!
(in different pages designs that is)
That monster one was made as a much thicker boy though!
I can only imagine the weight!! hehe ˆˆ

Thank you very much! (-:

Also for those that might wonder... Yes, you can actually spot some of the pages that were shown in the first post in the film.
It really is just the case that they didnt get a full on close up, but if you move through the scenes frame by frame and zoom in at just the right spot...

There they are! ˆˆ

rziW3Gq.png

fEcEGrh.png

yB0llNc.png

ZPxQhhz.png

JJXmJmp.png

94LmTUE.png

vysJw7a.png

d6cBXMG.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back