Done / Completed Daredevil (Netflix) Billy clubs METAL!

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, I might as well jump in the mix.

I confess, I'm really enjoying the new show. I'm curious if the interest is there for an all metal set of clubs as seen on the show. I've noticed others offering these in rubber and resin so if that satisfies the market, I'll step aside. However, if you're like me and you prefer a real-world feel and studio quality build to your props, this may be a nice option. You tell me...

This is a no-brainer for me since I've already been to this dance over a decade ago with a more complex (movie version) set of clubs. I still have my engineering notes for those pieces and I can could easily tweak a few things and produce these in metal. Hell, I'm even dialed in on the couplers which were clearly inspired by the aforementioned movie pieces. I love jobs like this that require zero engineering effort since it's already been done!

I do; however, have a time issue. I'm committed to other projects and my plate is full. I simply can't take on any additional commitments at this time.

However, if the interest is there and I can get my new shop guy to agree to run the parts, it may be possible to look at these in a few months. I'll speak with him this weekend and see what can be done. Again, I'm committed to other projects so this would depend 100% on another shop (I've been working with on the side) agreeing to run my parts while allowing me to sheppard the job.

My narrow window of opportunity may actually be a good thing here. While I'm pretty dialed in on what's happening with these newer clubs, reference is indeed limited. Given a little time, new reference could present itself allowing last minute changes, etc.

Simply put. No reason to rush this. Let's do it right, if at all. :thumbsup

Price for a metal set of clubs (estimate) would be a very reasonable 399.00 finished. I may consider an unfinished option which would simply leave the painting up to you. Remember, these would be metal and beautifully machined.

No promises on moving forward yet. Just spit balling... Let's hear your thoughts and we'll see if the planets line up.

-Rylo

Here's a look at some of my previous movie clubs (NO, never making these again!) which really were much more complex. I'm simply showing them here as an example of prior work related to this particular prop.

attachment.php

And an exploded view:

attachment.php

And the working grapples video:

Last edited by a moderator:
The movie clubs appear to be the same diameter as the TV clubs. The length looks about the same (two feet) when connected. This would make one club 12" and the other 11" due to the extra section on the coupler. (twist connect)

That is unless they went 12 and 12 and added the extra inch on one club (my scaling) making it 25"

Thoughts on that? I'm leaning towards 12 and 11" on the batons for an even 24" when joined. Any longer and the holster would look nuts running down his leg. Like I said, the twist connect was clearly by the movie clubs...I'm guessing the went with the same length, too.

-Rylo

The movie clubs appear to be the same diameter as the TV clubs. The length looks about the same (two feet) when connected. This would make one club 12" and the other 11" due to the extra section on the coupler. (twist connect)

That is unless they went 12 and 12 and added the extra inch on one club (my scaling) making it 25"

Thoughts on that? I'm leaning towards 12 and 11" on the batons for an even 24" when joined. Any longer and the holster would look nuts running down his leg. Like I said, the twist connect was clearly by the movie clubs...I'm guessing the went with the same length, too.

-Rylo

I am actually really glad you asked for feedback on this, as I am also trying to determine the approximate length for our own pair. One of the clubs is definitely longer than the other by more than an inch, because it's the one that gets to "have" the extra steel section and those sections seem to individually be longer than an inch when compared to the size of his fists holding them. It definitely looks like more than an inch of difference in these shots, given that Cox is like 5'11" in the suit:

11144609_10206313308542065_1554322248_o.jpg
11153412_10206313387784046_1384650079_o.jpg
11144755_10206313434865223_1245052507_o.jpg
11144893_10206313439345335_496178515_o.jpg
11141483_10206313306302009_1614115475_o.jpg

I'm thinking it may be more like one is 10-11" and the other is 12-13". Thoughts, Rylo?

If there's anything I've learned over the years, it's you can ask 10 different people to scale the same prop and they'll all give a different answer.

Tricky business, scaling...those sections do look longer than an inch there. Agreed!

Thanks for the input.

I am actually really glad you asked for feedback on this, as I am also trying to determine the approximate length for our own pair. One of the clubs is definitely longer than the other by more than an inch, because it's the one that gets to "have" the extra steel section and those sections seem to individually be longer than an inch when compared to the size of his fists holding them. It definitely looks like more than an inch of difference in these shots, given that Cox is like 5'11" in the suit:

View attachment 466033
View attachment 466034
View attachment 466035
View attachment 466036
View attachment 466037

I'm thinking it may be more like one is 10-11" and the other is 12-13". Thoughts, Rylo?

Last edited:
If there's anything I've learned over the years, it's you can ask 10 different people to scale the same prop and they'll all give a different answer.

Tricky business, scaling...those sections do look longer than an inch there. Agreed!

Thanks for the input.

Here is something my GF threw together passed off the best "standing" shot of Murdock she could find where the batons are positioned without serious foreshortening. Even Cox is 5'10" as listed on Wikipedia, then he's like 5'11" in boots/cowl, which is what she based her calculations off of.

11100319_1121760217841020_1056670745_n.jpg

Her math came out to around 37cm or 14.5". That actually seems like it might be a tad on the long side to me. Maybe it's 26" long total, with one stick being 14" and the other being 12"? That would put each red handle right around 10" and each individual silver section at about 2" per? (or maybe 1.5" per?)

Please let me know what you think, as this one has been racking my brain for the past week!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back