Dan's AT-AT (WIP)

Well… blush! Thanks everyone - I appreciate the nice comments on it. Wouldn’t have been possible without the great kit from Merlin Models and then all the great tips and tricks I’ve learned over the few years of hanging out here and being inspired by all the great modelers here…

Dan

Well… blush! Thanks everyone - I appreciate the nice comments on it. Wouldn’t have been possible without the great kit from Merlin Models and then all the great tips and tricks I’ve learned over the few years of hanging out here and being inspired by all the great modelers here…

Dan
One of the pictures was a featured one on the main page, so going back over this thread and how awesome it turned out, as wondering, after 6 to 7 months, how is the snow you added looking. Any yellowing or still doing good?

I was also thinking, while it all looked so incredible in ESB, it never was actually snowing at all once the Empire arrived, so really, the only snow on the walkers would be just where it stomped into the ground, flew up and landed back on the feet and part of the legs (if it would even stick then)....but also why they only put VERY little snow on the upper part of the body and mostly on the feet of the models. Just a funny thought.

Also noticed this is my 5000th post here, which is perfect as the AT-AT is one of my most favorite vehicles.

Still looking as white as pure driven snow! :)

Yeah, it's remarkable how little snow there was on the stop motion models (practically none when you really look at them). I think we 'feel/remember' that we saw snow because Hoth is such a white snowy place, but the models really had very little. So I kept it toned way back while still trying to capture the feel of the close-up/hero shots of the feet that showed snow.

And thanks for spending post 5000 here!

Dan

Last edited:
Still looking as white as pure driven snow! :)

Yeah, it's remarkable how little snow there was on the stop motion models (practically none when you really look at them). I think we 'feel/remember' that we saw snow because Hoth is such a white snowy place, but the models really had very little. So I kept it toned way back while still trying to capture the feel of the close-up/hero shots of the feet that showed snow.

And thanks for spending post 5000 here!

Dan
Since I live in Canada; the steel and the lower temps have a tendency to make the snow stick more on those parts. I think you did a fantastic job re-creating the whole feel/look:cool::cool:

It *had* snowed, but it wasn't snowING. ;)
Living in Florida for so many years, never really knew much about snow, now living in Idaho, it occurred to me, once its totally stops snowing and you go stomping around in it, a bit might fly up a little, but mainly only your feet and legs will have snow on them. Seeing as how the Empire arrived after the snow was done coming down and with how tall the walkers are, they really wouldn't have any snow probably above the knee area at most. ILM added a tiny amount in little areas more to give it the snowy effect. But yeah, they didn't over do it at all. I've seen people make models where they really completely over did the snow.

Now while the battle is nice and blue sky, just looking, there is this shot when you first see them in the distance....with clouds overhead....so maybe it was lightly snowing in that area. Can't really tell, and I know its just silly nitpicking, as either way, the whole sequence was done in such an amazing job, and for 1980.
walkers.jpg

It *had* snowed, but it wasn't snowING. ;)
Same thing;)...and wind is a factor + type of snow: fluffy, sticky, hard and crispy, greasy, heavy and wet...While Inuktitut language have approximately a dozen words to describe the type of snow, our U.K. friends have the same amount of words to describe...rain:p

Last edited:
Did I miss a meeting? I thought snow on AT-ATs was like melted cheese on top of a bad burrito - the more the better! There's a reason they call any universal fix-it "the White-Out of _________" So I'm going to apply as liberally or conservatively as needed, according to my model building skill set and specifically, to how well this model comes out. I do like the idea of more on the bottom and less on top, like German tanks on the Eastern Front.

Snow is, quite literally, "white out." Ethan Brackin at Merlin Models uses glass beads used for industrial sand-blasting, because it 'sparkles' under light, like real snow, and it's quite a good effect.

Meanwhile, nuther question: does anyone know if the Merlin Models AT-AT is "actually" 1/48 scale? The Revell big version is 1/53 scale, and I'm just curious if anyone here knows how close/identical in measurements these two models are.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back