Dan's AT-AT (WIP)

Looking great Dan!. It will really looks the part with the snow accents in just the right spots.

I thought of another possible method for the snow. Dabbing PVA white glue where you want the snow to sit & then sprinkle the baking soda over it. The glue dries clear & the baking soda would be well secured. The glue wouldn't affect the model surface & could also be peeled off when dry if not likeable.

Stu

Thanks Stu! Yes, dtssyst pointed out over on the Merlin Models Discord forum for this model that baking soda will yellow over time. The key there is to mix in a bit of white paint he adds. And that matches up with another technique I saw on the web that called for a mix of PVA glue, white paint, and baking soda - very similar to your suggestion. I think now that I've practiced my technique with the shaving foam/baking soda mix I'll move to a more permanent solution as you suggest. I just wanted to be sure I didn't botch it up with a permanent technique right off.

Dan

Chris Hart on the AT-AT Modelers group on Facebook made a fantastic diorama using interior wall filler mixed with water. It was the most realistic snow I’ve seen.

Here are some photos he had posted:

Attachments

• B0CBB28B-A15E-4DCF-8392-F4A8DB34FB1E.jpeg
    B0CBB28B-A15E-4DCF-8392-F4A8DB34FB1E.jpeg
    933.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 87011FB1-6A62-44C0-9DEF-0F257075463C.jpeg
    87011FB1-6A62-44C0-9DEF-0F257075463C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 269
Oh, holy cow - that does look great! I'm not on Facebook - would you mind/be able to post some grabs of any text he may have provided there describing some of the 'how to' associated with these pics?

Off to Google "interior wall filler"...

Thanks!

Dan

(ETA - I found a 'contact the artist' link when Googling for this diorama...)

Last edited:
Oh, holy cow - that does look great! I'm not on Facebook - would you mind/be able to post some grabs of any text he may there describing some of the 'how to' associated with these pics?

Off to Google "interior wall filler"...

Thanks!

Dan

(ETA - I found a 'contact the artist' link when Googling for this diorama...)
He said that he simply mixed with water and applied it with a brush. He said that if you want it to look smoother once it has dried, dip your finger in water and rub it along the surface. I haven’t used it myself, so you may want to do a test to see just how permanent a solution this is.

Very good - thanks! I'll ask his permission to post anything he may reply with to my private inquiry and share here...

Dan

Hey Dan..great model.....here's my quick shot at snow.....i just covered it with talcum powder and used a plastic bottle with a small hole in the end and just puffed the powder off until i got what i liked.....mind you you cant really touch it after but why would you....easy to blow or brush off if you don't like it and try again.

Attachments

• DSC_3357.jpg
    DSC_3357.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 181
Hey Dan..great model.....here's my quick shot at snow.....i just covered it with talcum powder and used a plastic bottle with a small hole in the end and just puffed the powder off until i got what i liked.....mind you you cant really touch it after but why would you....easy to blow or brush off if you don't like it and try again.

With the advantage of falling/sticking where actual snow would really go - thanks!

Yep, the snow doesn't accumulates/sticks to movable parts...unless the atmosphere is very cold. I can see it more on the body than on the legs somehow;) Apart from that; great build/paint job:cool::cool:(y)(y)

MM has posted a second painting video which focuses on weathering of the body, especially on the underside. There are also some interesting pictures of the ATAT walker from the Japanese Star Wars Chronicles Vehicles book. My guess is that MM will do the snow painting and detailing after the completion of the weathering.

Here is a link to the video starting at the ATAT Chronicles pictures.

Great painting videos from Merlin Models - thanks for posting those here.

Slow progress on my end the last week, but getting some snow back on the feet, using this screenshot image as a style guide:

IMG_6469_small.jpg

IMG_6534_small.jpg

I did decide to ditch the shaving foam/baking soda mix in favor of Chris's lightweight wall filler, white paint, and water. More web research indicates that it's not so much the baking soda itself that is yellowing, but acid-containing PVA glue. If you choose acid-free or 'kid safe' PVA you're probably okay with yellowing. But, that said, some people report other problems with baking soda itself having to do with corrosion of the underlying paints and plastics, leaving yucky residues with time. I figured let's just avoid it altogether no matter what the potential problems.

The lightweight wall filler, mixed with a bit of white paint for good measure, and then thinned appropriately with water paints on like thick paint and hardens to a hard foam-like consistency. I then add a bit more white paint dabbling to blend and add lighter snow and that snow dusting look matching the screenshot style guide. I'm working the non-hero, 'back' side for practice, before moving over to the hero display side. I'm happy with this so far and am moving on around the feet and then up to the body...

Dan

Great painting videos from Merlin Models - thanks for posting those here.

Slow progress on my end the last week, but getting some snow back on the feet, using this screenshot image as a style guide:

View attachment 1596966
View attachment 1596967

I did decide to ditch the shaving foam/baking soda mix in favor of Chris's lightweight wall filler, white paint, and water. More web research indicates that it's not so much the baking soda itself that is yellowing, but acid-containing PVA glue. If you choose acid-free or 'kid safe' PVA you're probably okay with yellowing. But, that said, some people report other problems with baking soda itself having to do with corrosion of the underlying paints and plastics, leaving yucky residues with time. I figured let's just avoid it altogether no matter what the potential problems.

The lightweight wall filler, mixed with a bit of white paint for good measure, and then thinned appropriately with water paints on like thick paint and hardens to a hard foam-like consistency. I then add a bit more white paint dabbling to blend and add lighter snow and that snow dusting look matching the screenshot style guide. I'm working the non-hero, 'back' side for practice, before moving over to the hero display side. I'm happy with this so far and am moving on around the feet and then up to the body...

Dan
Having seen how Merlin Models is painting theirs, and seeing your technique, I’m probably going to follow your technique. I think yours has turned out amazing. Is there any risk of the pencil weathering wearing off or fading over time?

Very nicely done!

I’ve found that once the pencil line is drawn down and blended by the q-tip it becomes very durable to casual touch. I guess if you were to really work on it with your finger it might smear more but I’m handling this all over during the snow work with no problems. I suppose you could surface matte coat when all done if you were worried it might need some protection.

Dan

Okay, pretty much done I believe (standard disclaimer that that means I stare at it for several days and make tweaks to mistakes and things I missed :) )...

5D3_1509_small.jpg

5D3_1502_small.jpg

5D3_1507_small.jpg

5D3_1503_small.jpg

5D3_1506_small.jpg

It's been an incredibly fun build and again, hats off to all the folks at Merlin Models for producing such a great kit! Thanks to all here for their advice and tips.

Dan

Really turned out awesome and the snow really looks to be in scale with the model now. Your work space is nice; I'm envious!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back