Dann's Blaster Projects - (Latest) FM ANH Hero Project from Nov 2022

Just wanted to make sure I had these updated photos of DL-18 #6 in my blaster thread.

IMG_5331.jpeg
IMG_5332.jpeg
IMG_5333.jpeg
IMG_5334.jpeg

Once again, I’ve made some tweaks to my DL-18 front sight housing and “not-a-marker-cap” models.

Gonna do some test prints soon.
IMG_5346.jpeg
IMG_5347.jpeg
IMG_5348.jpeg
IMG_5349.jpeg
IMG_5350.jpeg

So I have what I think is a very close match for the original "marker cap" piece.

Around the time DK Books released the Star Wars Visual dictionary, I was skip diving for parts and greeblies and found an old upright vacuum cleaner, one with a heavy duty fabric dust bag that hung from a clip on the side. The body was white plastic if I recall. It had an interesting looking light grey connector on the power cable which I thought had a good likeness to the DL18 piece. I cant remember if it had a thread to attach it to the machine or whether it was push/clip fit but off it came and went home with several other bits for blasters.

Now my RO72 was missing the front sight so I had to fabricate one from pipe, styrene and milliput.

The "marker cap" piece on my DL18 is now filled with putty and firmly attached to the scratch built parts. But I remember having to chop and modify the part of this connector to the vacuum to fit my replicated RO72 sight part.

It's been away in storage for several years but dug it out recently and have these pics for you. I'll get some more pics once I'm back at work after Xmas.

Attachments

• 20231219_143249.jpg
    20231219_143249.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20231222_200534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222_200534_Gallery.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 68
Looks to me like you may have found it!

I was actually searching for cord strain-relief type parts just recently!

If we find the correct vacuum, the tubing could possibly be a match for the Vibro Axe!

Last edited:
Yeah, I found it. Or RE-found it, rather. A half hour or so after Shingouki's post.

I just want folks to please be patient and not lose their minds. There are many sources, but I really would rather we not have a repeat of the situation of so many past discoveries.

Last edited:
that would be pretty amazing to have found it!
and, you are good! I just spent an hour looking and haven't found anything close. damnit! I would really love to source one.

Looks to me like you may have found it!

I was actually searching for cord strain-relief type parts just recently!

If we find the correct vacuum, the tubing could possibly be a match for the Vibro Axe!
Except the axe was built in the US while the DL-18s were made in the UK.
Two different departments.

Last edited:
Man, I completely forgot to share this project with the forum!

Last November (2022), one of my best buddies asked me to build him a Han ANH Hero blaster using a FM base Mauser and an original DEC steel kit.

I’m having trouble finding the progress pics, but I’ve got pics from towards the end of finishing the blaster, and a few comparing it to my MGC Hero.

Can’t believe I forgot to post these, but I suppose I haven’t been around as much as I used to.

This build was to be a more general and idealized version of the blaster and not so much an attempt to replicate every scratch and ding and weathering nuance. I also opted to not paint the lower, since my buddy liked the way the blue turned out so much.

Anyway, on to a massive wall of pics!
IMG_2691.jpeg
IMG_2692.jpeg
IMG_2693.jpeg

IMG_2685.jpeg
IMG_2686.jpeg
IMG_2687.jpeg
IMG_2688.jpeg
IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2694.jpeg
IMG_2696.jpeg
IMG_2697.jpeg
IMG_2698.jpeg
IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_2700.jpeg
IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2702.jpeg
IMG_2703.jpeg

And the pics comparing it to my MGC Hero.
IMG_2714.jpeg
IMG_2715.jpeg
IMG_2716.jpeg
IMG_2717.jpeg
IMG_2718.jpeg
IMG_2719.jpeg
IMG_2720.jpeg
IMG_2712.jpeg
IMG_2713.jpeg
IMG_2721.jpeg
IMG_2722.jpeg
IMG_2723.jpeg
IMG_2725.jpeg

I think I made a few modifications to my MGC Hero while I was building this kit. I can recall changing the shape of the cutout on the scope bracket cradle, and later I swapped out the grips. Those original steel DEC parts sure were nice. I think I also had to make custom screws for the scope, though. The originals that came with the kit were missing. I feel like I also changed the finish on his flash hider to better match mine, before finally giving him the finished blaster. Anyway, glad I finally remembered to add this project to my thread!

Last edited:
You know what? I can’t believe I didn’t notice this until now.

That newer FM steel flash hider must’ve been off-axis when the rear indexed milled “bullet” cuts were made. I remember thinking they looked extra deep, but I didn’t realize until looking at the pics now that the cuts are much deeper on one side than the other.

I’ll have to contact Chris and my buddy and see if he can get a replacement flash hider.

Edit: here’s some cropped pics showing what I’m talking about.
IMG_5436.jpeg
IMG_5435.jpeg

Last edited:
Great news! Not that I would’ve thought any different, but FM is sending a replacement.

Best customer service you could ask for, over a YEAR later.

These things are simply what can happen when making hundreds and thousands of parts. Things can slip through the cracks. I’ve worked in machine shops before, so I am certainly familiar with the occasional work-holding misalignment, etc.

Thanks so much for your help, Chris!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back