Dann's Blaster Projects - (Latest) FM ANH Hero Project from Nov 2022

WAIT

Dan you're a genius. how much of that paint existed underneath the wrinkle finish? how'd you remove it? i have one of these and just wrote it off

Pretty much ALL of the paint that you see was under the wrinkle.

I just went slow with paper towels and acetone, removing the layers of wrinkle. Took a couple hours, I guess.

I did spray a layer of black over it, to even things out some. But then removed a little of that with acetone, as well.

The white was still in the letters, but I used the tip from a wiggler (a tool with various interchangeable "probes" for setting up a mill, finding edges of workpieces, etc.) to scrape the white and some black away, so I could start over with fresh, deep stamping. I then re-applied the white in the letters and numbers, and sealed it.

I also chucked-up the brass front lens insert in the lathe (the lenses aren't setup the way they were originally, I'm guessing this was used as a spotting scope after the war, and the user would look through it backwards. The front foot was re-tapped 1/4-20 by whoever owned it, for a tripod, I suppose), and I turned the larger diameter, straight-knurled section down, then shortened the entire insert so it'd fit in the small front lens section.

Then I made the two mounting screws. I turned down a brass 1/4-20 hex bolt and cut a slot in it, and did the same with a steel 10-32 socket head cap screw for the rear foot. I'll get a pic of those in a few.

I totally don't care that it's an M47. Aside from the "M47" stamp, it's basically exactly the same as an M38. Sure, the lens setup is SLIGHTLY different (I'm guessing due to the post-war modifications), but its outward appearance is perfect!

I feel like I saw this exact same scope on eBay a couple years ago (or one just like it), but didn't grab it at the time. I'm so glad I did, this time!

I grabbed it, I have it here!

sorry for asking so many questions - what did you use to re-fill the white letters and/or stamp them? You're inspiring me to do this to mine

So, my wrinkle coat was much finer, and there was very little original finish underneath or it had fused to the wrinkle coat. Acetone was doing very little (it was a well dome wrinkle coat lol)

I ended up vinegar wet sanding it down to dark gray and using BBQ black and satin - my next step is sanding off the foot square and detailing it
20200310_155751.jpg
20200310_155834.jpg

Apparently it was an M38 this one.. my M47 is on my blaster! Theyre almost idential

Looking for the right wax to put in the letters, yours came out so well, im reading that you re stamped them?

No, I didn't re stamp it, just cleaned the stamping so I could start with fresh, bare brass in that little area.

And I just used a white crayon to fill it in.

Oh, I forgot about the screw pics. This is the best I could do without taking the scope back off. You get the idea, and it's really nothing all that special.

0309202112.jpg
0309202112b.jpg

Also, finally got around to printing those $6 Bryar pistol files. I don't have any resin, at the moment, but I may print a few of the parts again, when I do get some. This puppy is gonna take a lot more work, and I've spoiled myself with the Photon!

I separated the barrel from the handguard before printing, and removed the cylindrical details at the front top sides of the handguard, because I plan to use some brass or aluminum rod, there. Unfortunately, the little spacers between them were too fragile and a few snapped off. I'll think of something to use as a replacement.

And I think I should've done a few more alterations, like make a nice, solid way of attaching the barrel to the frame. Oh well, we'll see how this goes. Still in the early stages with this one. Haven't even done a first round of putty, yet. Just sanding, and a small bit of assembly/hole tapping.

0305202258.jpg
0309202119.jpg
0309202120.jpg
0309202121.jpg
0309202122.jpg
0309202122a.jpg

I chucked the barrel tip back up in the lathe and made the "fins" a little thinner.

I think it looks better, but I'm gonna make another one. I think it should be a little longer, with a touch more space between the fins, and I think I'll scale the whole thing up just a bit.

I also cut the barrel and outer barrel sleeve shorter. I think it's finally starting to look like it should in that area.

I've added a couple pics of real-deal barrel tips at the bottom, for comparison.
c00e04b358c1cea6eb5ab617d7a20763.jpg
2a68a14478aaa94344b6a0ab5663d699.jpg
95bce41eb37809a6f54d46912764fa5d.jpg
fffcb01d5b9d88c9897aa1a08bc6a7ee.jpg
10bf5f4415c9e5acea2a246cf7270e36.jpg
2ae20f1fc012649615c88b1d50bac663.jpg
c3ddbeca54aed3337bc25fcfc3f4a375.jpg
4f14ba1e9453732e556b878f2392fea6.jpg
43cba1a6b7e196ccd3400cb90a86c456.jpg
98d03d89ccd1fdbbe099982280f1b71f.jpg
8b18c73b0525a0986be79401cbeaae8f.jpg

a77ec5f5028df6587d9b2cc124dd092a.jpg
have you considered it may be a screw thread on the barrel , it really looks like it in the ref pics ?

have you considered it may be a screw thread on the barrel , it really looks like it in the ref pics ?
The flash hider (barrel tip/nozzle) on the Relby K-23 is NOT a screw thread, They are concentric rings, without a doubt.

Here are a couple grabs of my latest model of it.
k23fh01.JPG
k23fh02.JPG

Last edited:
LOL So, after taking those screen grabs, it bothered me that I hadn't added the little natural fillets that are in the corners, at the core, where the fins are. So, I've updated the model HOPEFULLY one last time!
k23fhFINAL.JPG

Yeah, I'm sorry, Martini Racing. I've looked at tons of reference of this blaster, and it's just simply not a worm gear, or threads.

Some pics of some of the deteriorated castings do make it look a little like that, so I understand why you think it, but, it's just not the case.

They're grooves, perpendicular or ninety degrees in relation to the barrel axis.

Yeah, I'm sorry, Martini Racing. I've looked at tons of reference of this blaster, and it's just simply not a worm gear, or threads.

Some pics of some of the deteriorated castings do make it look a little like that, so I understand why you think it, but, it's just not the case.

They're grooves, perpendicular or ninety degrees in relation to the barrel axis.
the other pic looks like a totally different end to the other ref. pic, its fair enough, they probs just used what was about the place, peace , and excellent work BTW.

And here's a couple shots from the conversion.
0319202150.jpg
0319202151_HDR.jpg

I did manage to fit a new lens in the front, and I printed a little retainer ring to pressure fit it in place. Though, the tolerances were tight enough that it wasn't really needed, to be honest.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back