Daniel Craig is "done" as Bond

I suppose that's true, but $100 million is a pretty tidy chunk of change for just 2 movies. If I were him, I would have asked for more, something like $175 or $200 million just to see how desperate they were to have me; I'd see it as a win, win situation with no way to really lose. If they refuse and tell me to take a flying leap, no loss there since I didn't want to do the movie anyway, if they agree then I have the satisfaction of knowing just how desperate the studio is and I managed to take advantage of that desperation and score myself a big pay day.

Actually, I suppose if I wasn't just bloody sick of playing the character and being the public face of the franchise, I'd probably say "I'll do it for $125M, and creative control with respect to how my character is written and acted." If his issue is that he's been giving weak material, I'd say demand the ability to make the material better.

You should check out the original novels by Fleming. Good stuff there. I found that Craig was one of the best at conveying the literary version of Bond, which is generally my favorite version. Connery's earliest films did that, too. Once you got to the Guy Hamilton formula, though, "movie Bond" was a separate beast entirely. And the Moore era just went nuts with that (which was then repeated in the Brosnan era to varying degrees).

Honestly...yeah, I can. My guess is that he doesn't find it fun anymore, and doesn't really believe in the work. I respect the decision. I mean, it's not like he's gonna die poor, you know? He's just a regular bloke who's the son of an artist and the landlord of a local pub.

Also, towards the end, Brosnan had kind of a similar disdain for the Bond franchise. (Which, given the trainwreck that Die Another Day was, I can't say I blame him.)

I have read some of the Fleming books, but my main gateway into the Bond world was the films.

See to me, Bond has to be to a certain degree a bit over the top. Not Roger Moore over the top, but we're talking about a world of beautiful women, exotic locations, international intrigue, extreme luxury and incredible gadgets.

You play that straight, it's no different than the countless of other spy movie franchises out there: Bourne, Jack Ryan, Mission Impossible, etc. etc. etc.

Bond is part fantasy... he's the man that can kick your ass, screw your woman, save the world, and look good in his $10,000 Rolex while he's doing it.

To me, the Craig era films represented another attempt by Hollywood to make everything more "gritty" because "gritty" is more "real"...

Superman can't be Superman... he needs to be more gritty and dark.... because no one would buy an extraterrestrial alien with out worldly powers as a symbol of hope otherwise...

To me, the last good "Bond" film I've seen was Kingsman, The Secret Service

Maybe they should reboot Bond and do it as a period piece. To me, Bond works better in the 60s, maybe early 70s.

Ya know, im in agreement with this one. I actually like Craig as Bond. He said he is done and I respect that, he carried the torch well.

I will disagree with casting a person who goes against the novels. Keep a canon tradition alive.

I dunno, I think they could go with a popular fan theory about James Bond.

"James Bond" is merely a code name adapted by certain agents over the years. This would actually explain why Bond looks different after a certain point. It would also allow for Bond to be of non Caucasian descent without it being an overtly pandering move. It's just another agent rising to the task after the previous one retired.

Sorry but no. James Bond is not a code name, never has been, never should be. He's a British Caucasian male with dark hair and a mix of flegm and coldbloodedness. Craig was borderline fitting the description with his blond hair, but he was making it up with the attitude and back to serious (and true Fleming) Bond. Not sticking to that formula could work for some people, but would alienate a good deal of the fan base too. Including me. What is it with shows and movies trying to take liberties where they shouldn't lately ?

Because films are just another interpretation of the source material? With an artistic license? It gives you the freedom to create more than just the source material, see Sherlock for example.

I like different interpretations all the time. The world would be a boring place if everything was kept to ever last word of source material. But that's merely my opinion ;)

He will do one film as long as he has a stunt double doing the action scenes. His wife ( Rachel weisz) didn't want him doing anymore due to him getting hurt. He wanted to do 1 more film about a month go. The studio will come back with an offer and possible a new writer team. Add a few more dollars, stunt man and possible rachel as a Bond girl. Bingo bango he will be back.

Aahh but you know Fatima Blush gave you your most raptourous viewing experiance EVAH!

Now write that down a thousand times and post it everywhere for all to see! :lol

And when he said that all we got was a mediocre remake of Thunderball

I dunno, I think they could go with a popular fan theory about James Bond.

"James Bond" is merely a code name adapted by certain agents over the years. This would actually explain why Bond looks different after a certain point. It would also allow for Bond to be of non Caucasian descent without it being an overtly pandering move. It's just another agent rising to the task after the previous one retired.

I like it!!!

I will champion this till the day I die: Fassbender. Is. Bond.

#Fassy4Bond

This ∆∆∆∆∆∆ ! That scene in the X men in the bar in Argentina. I was thinking Bond the whole time. As for Craig, good riddance ! He ruined Bond for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XY2eW2cXcNg

Last edited:
I guess I'm the odd man out. Not only was I incredibly pleased with Craig as Bond, I thought Spectre treated the character beautifully and concluded the series perfectly.
There is no need for another Bond film. Let it rest.

I loved Craig as Bond. I like all the Bond actors. It's a good exit for him actually. The next one is all set up now for a new actor.

Daniel Craig probably fears getting too typecast as Bond. I suspect he wants a future acting career more than money at this point.

If James Bond is an interchangeable agent name then the bad guys would have figured it out decades ago. And if Bond constantly uses an alias for the whole movie then it doesn't feel as much like a Bond flick.

The Man from UNCLE's weak box office doesn't tell us much. The original version of that show was too far back for most people to remember it. Without that recognition it's just a goofy title that probably did the remake more harm than good. Besides, anything in the realm of a 1960s spy movie + comedy = Austin Powers ripoff. Accurate or not, this is how the public will think at a glance.

a shame, i think Craig was good as James Bond.

Spectre was a bit out of his comfort zone. at least thats how i feel it.

Craig had some in fighting and disagreements all throughout Spectre from early pre production, on set and pick ups possibly even through editing. There was a publicized incident about refusing a great deal of money from product placement. I assume he felt Bond was going off in the wrong direction and its safe to say he was correct. If memory serves he has two more films on his contract but any mass of stipulations could cancel that as he has taken up lots of charity work and even UN work. Perhaps a different story synopsis would have him accepting that payday for another Bond.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back