Dan Wheldon killed in IRL race

Sad. There was a lot of opinions expressed of fear of this happening with such high speeds and only 12 or 13 laps in. I swear I think 1 car flew 100+ yards.

One of the worst wrecks I've ever seen in that series. The odd thing is they were talking to him on the pace lap and he was saying how it would be a great way to go out and ending the season with this race. My first thought was wouldn't it be strange if he got killed. Wouldn't be a great way to go out. Don't know why that came to mind but it creeped me out. Terrible news. I'm glad they cancelled the race.

Wow, man. I finally caught the footage on tonight's news - ludicrously spectacular crash, more resembling something from a film than from reality. I hope the injured make full recoveries...

I actually talked to him 45 minutes before he got in the car, and all day saturday I was around him at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. He was a generous, kind and just plain awesome person. I am saddened that the world has lost such a charismatic person. He will be missed!

Just a bad place and timing to rolling to the wall, nothing with the current designs could have prevented such a blunt impact injury.

Terribly sad to see the loss of potential with someone in their life's prime cut short by such an accident. I feel for all those who are touched by such an accident.

I didn't realize he hit with the top of the car. He probably died right then. It'll be interesting to see if the "bumper" behind the wheel on the new cars will prevent these flying cars.

These cars are inverted airfoils, once they flip, up they go. No stopping it at over 200 MPH.

That's why NASCAR has restrictor plates for over 200 MPH. Makes the racing kind of weird, but has probably saved lives.

A real tragedy. A great driver.

No, he died later in hospital from 'unsurvivable injuries'. Has very young kids too. I can absolutely picture their incomprehension. So sad.

Really sad to see this on Sunday, a great driver, as a manic Motor racing fan, its ALWAYS sad to hear of this kind of tragedy, or see any form of accident on track.

lee

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back