Dan Laws Tie Pilot Helmet Build

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As I'm sure most guys on these boards, we have our icons we look up to, I know I do! Dan Laws is one of my top 3. I've drooled over his Tie Pilot and AT AT Driver helmets and busts for years. A few weeks ago Dan posted a picture of 3 Tie Pilot helmets on his Facebook page with the caption "The Final Three" I freaked out that I had missed the opportunity to own one of his Tie Pilot Helmets. I immediately sent him a message and after some fun discussion about why he came to this decision, he agreed to make one up in white for me and explained that he loved the look of a painted helmet as they looked "richer" to him than the pulled material right off the vac former, which I completely agree! So without further aadoo, here's my white Tie Pilot right out of the box who will be broken down, primed in black primer, satin black, then gloss clear, and finally the metallic details! I'm more excited than when I got my first 3 1/2" Kenner Star Wars figure! It's a true work of art in every way, Friday evening I will begin!

IMG_0926_zpsbgquvxbd.jpg

IMG_0927_zps5rchiyuj.jpg

IMG_0928_zpskqbh60fy.jpg

IMG_0929_zpsdc79hcbu.jpg

Pill box, machined Imperial Discs, and mohawk greeblies

IMG_0930_zpsc1vsofdd.jpg

Breather hoses

IMG_0931_zpsb0hvd9au.jpg

Dan is a real class act and very talented, I hope I can paint the Tie to honor his work well!

Bit of a revelation tonight, this helmet is one piece! The eye come out. I'm a bit nervous about the paint job now. So after a can of Dupli Color black primer from Cameron, here's what it looks like. There's a few runs from trying to prime the peek a boos in the open areas, but they'll sand out easily. I'll wait a few days....

IMG_1034_zpst4w7a1lf.jpg

IMG_1035_zpsfi75nxq8.jpg

I gotta say, I love lacquer! You could never shoot a whole can of enamel on a helmet without a complete disaster!

Bit of a revelation tonight, this helmet is one piece! The eye come out. I'm a bit nervous about the paint job now. So after a can of Dupli Color black primer from Cameron, here's what it looks like. There's a few runs from trying to prime the peek a boos in the open areas, but they'll sand out easily. I'll wait a few days....

View attachment 1062939

View attachment 1062940

I gotta say, I love lacquer! You could never shoot a whole can of enamel on a helmet without a complete disaster!

When you say helmet is one piece, are you referring to it being separate pieces but permanently joined?
I have one of DL’s recent helmets and that’s how mine is put together- you ain’t gonna separate the pieces without permanent damage.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back