1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Interest Dan Laws ATAT Driver and TIE Fighter Pilot helmet and armor

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by Studio Stasis, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As most of you already know, Dan Laws has been a well respected member of the prop community, fabricating and sculpting the cleanest and most impressive Star Wars costume pieces to date. Dan has been overwhelmed with demand for a very long time and has decided to pass along this project to us, while tackling the last of his pending orders personally. This thread is not about his preexisting orders, as those do not fall under the jurisdiction of Dan's agreement with us.

We will be offering very short, limited runs of his previous pieces, in kit form with an assembled helmet and chest box. This means all of the helmet and armor components, accessories, and decals will be included, and helmets will come assembled, but not completed. Greeblies will be resin (not machined aluminum).

The first of those limited runs is for the ATAT Driver helmet and armor, and TIE Pilot helmet and armor.

AT-AT Driver kit: $850 (plus shipping)

TIE Pilot kit: $750 (plus shipping)

Send a PM if you would like to be added to the list for this limited run. Kits will be limited to a run of 10 each and no further orders will be taken until those orders have been received. Please allow 4-10 weeks for delivery once payments have been received after the commencement of the run.

LawsATATfront_zpshku3fehn.jpg

new%20082_zpsa4zidiln.jpg

ATAT_zpswbymzho8.jpg

TIE1_zpshrlqbsym.jpg

TIE2_zpsdrcs9zav.jpg

LawsATATfront_zpshku3fehn.jpg

new%20082_zpsa4zidiln.jpg

ATAT_zpswbymzho8.jpg

TIE1_zpshrlqbsym.jpg

TIE2_zpsdrcs9zav.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. cboath

cboath Master Member

Amy chance of just the armor or the helmet? Or is it whole package only?

3. Studio Stasis

Typically this is for the whole package, but I can work with you. If you want a helmet only, or armor only, that can be accommodated.

4. steveparkes

steveparkes Active Member

I have a Dan Laws AT AT kit, it's awesome, however the two circular bits that connect the hoses to the chest box need replacing, would I be able to get two from you as I've tried to match it myself with various other stuff but it never looks right.

Cheers,

Steve

5. Studio Stasis

Parts like that can definitely be furnished. PM me directly and I'll discuss it with you.

steveparkes likes this.
  6. steveparkes

steveparkes Active Member

Awesome, I tried to get some from Dan directly in the past but he was always too busy and confused as to which bit I wanted. I'll shoot you a PM

7. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Same here. Thought I worked out a partial trade with him for some tie armor for my greeblie molds but it has been years now.

8. Studio Stasis

Dan probably got overwhelmed or forgot about that particular trade. I know that he is currently finishing up his pending orders. You might contact him if you wanted to ask him about a previous deal. Maybe he would still be up for it?

9. jimjimmyjones85

jimjimmyjones85 Active Member

Is there a payment schedule or is it all paid upfront ?

10. Yorkie Fett

Yorkie Fett Well-Known Member

PM sent regarding TIE set.

Knokkel likes this.
  11. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Just got my Dan Laws AtAt fully finished set. I am currently working on mounting my metal Elvis trooper parts. The Tie is coming soon and the Snowtrooper came some time ago but sadly had to be sold.

First,..Totally worth the very long wait. This thing is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt Anvos will make them screen accurate because they are huge. I may be wrong and it would be cool if they did. Mega huge. (Tie and AtAt helmet) I always thought they just hired small actors for the Tie and AtAt pilots. Nope. Normal people, huge helmets. Make Vader look like a pin head.

These things are awesome. Can't say enough good things.

Totally worth the wait.

I will do a full review and post lots of pics ASAP.

Also if Dan has forgotten anything get in touch with him and he will take care of it. Facebook is the best way to reach him.

12. Studio Stasis

jimjimmyjones85 - The payments will be in a lump sum for this run, but probably wont be required until the end of this month when the list is hopefully full for this run.
    The reason that the payments will be in a lump sum (up front) is because each of these orders is going toward the purchase of Dans molds. Once Dan receives payment, he will be shipping the molds to us and we will begin fulfillment for this run of helmets and armor.

Tom1971 - Thanks for the awesome post. The wait will be significantly reduced for this run, as Dan will not be stuck overwhelmed and buried in orders. These will be fulfilled by us while Dan completes his pending orders. I don't foresee this run taking more than 10 weeks to complete to fulfillment.

13. Vince

Vince Active Member

Do you offer the option of complete, finished sets? (i.e. fully painted and built)?

14. thorssoli

thorssoli Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any chance you can suggest a source for the AT&T driver soft parts?

15. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Moncal was it but he is buried doing Anovos stuff. Anovos will be offering parts which is where I will get my soft parts. At least whatever they offer.

16. Studio Stasis

Dan Laws took a look on the Anovos website and realized that the prototypes for ATAT Driver, TIE Pilot, and Snowtrooper armor were his own work, but Anovos said it's fine because they will ultimately be scanning originals in the archives, rather than using the prototypes that were built to get them through their licensing phase. Regardless of the reasoning, I'm told that this is the reason for Dan's retirement. He was livid. Bummer.

Moncal was the prototype supplier for Anovos, so I imagine things between Dan and Cal might be tense at this point. For soft parts, I really don't have any leads, but I would be happy to pass along leads as I discover them. Anovos will probably supply the best, and most affordable soft parts that we can find.

Vince - A completed kit is doable, but would have to be pushed to the end of the delivery list to avoid causing a longer wait time for anyone that is on the list for a standard unfinished kit. The hope is that these kits will not exceed a delivery time of more than 10 weeks for the entire run. That should be plenty of time to get everyone their orders. If you're okay with a little bit of extra wait time and a higher cost point, feel free to contact me directly about a finished set.

17. jkno

jkno Master Member

This is very interesting

18. Studio Stasis

Take it for what it's worth. It's all second hand information, but I did have a first hand discussion with the Anovos guys at Celebration and they assured me that they will be scanning these items in the archives to produce their final pieces. I'm excited about the items that Anovos is offering. I've already purchased 3 complete costumes and 1 helmet from them to show my support.

19. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

The latest, greatest Dan Laws At AT Driver. Just about one week old.

I will be doing a full thread on this shortly but thought I would throw some pics here. Note there are no aluminum parts on it yet other than the armor straps, I.E. no tusks, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jkno

jkno Master Member

Very nice, DL's AT-AT armor and helmet are the best! For the most accurate tusks out there, made from Michel darts try Zombiekiller. I'd replace the hoses too.

21. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I have the Elvis trooper metal set and love it.

The tusks are in the process of being painted.

For me and others interested in this what's wrong with my hoses??????

22. jkno

jkno Master Member

The tusks from ZK being made from Michel darts are very accurate. They also have a cut margin on one of the disks and compared to the screen used they are the closest to the screen used - Elvis tusks are a tad smaller. The tusks were compared by the owner of the only screen used AT-AT Driver helmet.

As for the hoses, DL ones are ok, but not looking so nice compared to screen used. MCare better. Look here at the screen used and you can see the differences:
    AT-AT Driver 02.jpg

23. Studio Stasis

Has anyone found hoses like these anywhere for sale?

24. eifion

eifion Well-Known Member

Will your pulls be as sharp as DL's? I know you're using his molds but will you be using the same gauge plastic? I may be interested in a couple of things.

25. ECOLI

ECOLI Active Member

Out of curiosity who took over for his Snowtrooper Commander?

26. jkno

jkno Master Member

They are vintage dryer hoses and you need to get 2 pairs and then paint them gray. Better go with MC hoses.

27. syllander

syllander Member

Have you checked in with Wampa Wear? Believe they have the grey jumpsuit without the extra shin pockets.

28. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

Is this run closed?

29. Padawan311

Padawan311 Active Member

I had the same question. Has this been closed? I am interested in the AT-AT Driver kit.

30. eifion

eifion Well-Known Member

I was interested in some pieces and asked a simple question over a month ago without reply :rolleyes

31. Prometheus

Ok, i'll consider it dead for now. Lets see if Armored Calvary has any leads.

32. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Too many unknowns. The orders are just to fund the purchasing of Dan's bucks.

33. Prometheus

Anyone know of any alternate source for the ATAT kits?

34. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I don't know if Dan is even doing anymore but mine took 3 1/2 years. Worth it but long wait.

Anovos is doing one but I do not know, nor does anyone else know, how accurate they will be. People do not realize how HUGE!!!!!!!! the AT AT and Tie helmets are. The Tie pilots in ANH when Vader says "Come with me" are not tiny guys like I thought. They are normal guys with Huge helmets. So I do not know if the Anvos version will be true to that or not.

Moncal made a great version, but not quite as good as Dan's and Moncal is way!!! behind do to all his work for Anovos I think.

Probably the Anovos version would be the way to go. Either it's huge and accurate, or more normal size and probably looks more reasonable.

Tom

35. Prometheus

Thanks Tom.

I had the Dan Laws kit a few years ago, but ended up selling it to someone here, as i did not have the time to put it together.
    Wish i didn't part with it :(

36. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Same for me and the Dan Laws Snowtrooper kit. After 2 1/2 years of waiting I got it and quickly had to sell it along with most of my collection.

Tom

37. tomm1999

tomm1999 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These are amazing! Any word on if run is closed?

38. collector74

collector74 Active Member

So the price is just for a kit or is it finished?

39. medic2410p

medic2410p Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He said he is still waiting to get this going last I heard

40. mancuniancomman

mancuniancomman New Member

Hi Is anybody making the Flame Trooper kit?.if so how much plus shipping to UK thanks.

41. geordietrooper

geordietrooper Well-Known Member

have you tried KB PROPS ?