Daft Punk helmet build

master257

So I've had this in the works for a while now and am not sure if this is the right forum to post it in, but I did purchase a helmet (fairly finished from someone over at TDC).

I'm looking for advice on what I can do to improve it because to be honest it didn't quite turn out the way I'd hoped it would!

Here are some pictures:

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

What are you looking to fix?

The paint looks bad....but that can be sanded off and repainted easily. But the helmet itself looks fine.

My opinion? Sand off the paint, give it a look over for any holes that can be filled or smoothed out, Prime it, look for more imperfections, give it a few more coats of primer, base coat of glossy black, let dry, and paint with your choice of paint.

Yeah I was mostly concerned about the visor (I can't vacuum form a new one) but I'm thinking if I can find the right paints to re-do the paint job. Also I've been having problems fitting LEDs inside this helmet... I'll post pictures of the casings/my LED array.

Here are some pics of my LED stuff:

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:
I'm going to resurrect this post because I am going to embark on actually attempting to fix it up!

Heres what I need help with:
- making a new visor (mine has little cracks/holes in it) im not sure how ill go about making a new one for this with nothing to form it (possibly try to make a mold?)
- what sandpaper should I be using to sand the paint off?
- what paint would you recommend for a chrome like finish? (brands etc)

Good luck making your updated :)

No idea what you should do with the visor, but as new one i'd say.

What kind of tint did you use?

Sandpaper, use wet dry sand paper start low like 400 and work your way upto something like 1200 and make it niiiice and smooth. I do everything by wet sanding it now it's amazing. Incase you don't know wet sanding is exactly what it sounds like, sanding it, while wet.

As for paint, i'm in the next few weeks going to be trying out Alclad II chrome paints. Might need to get a new airbrush first though.

For thomas i'm going to do chrome, and for Guy do chrome and then a candy yellow gold clear over the chrome. I'll post pics when i get round too it.

Good luck sir.

thanks for the advice :] because the helmet was purchased I couldnt say what was used - all I did was the electronics for the helmet and the guy who made the helmet wont respond to any of my questions, so ive had to come out and ask everyone else

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back