Daft Punk have broken up

Man this sucks... I still remember the first time i saw Around The World on MTV. Their first US "concert" was here in Wisconsin at Eagle Cave when they were just teenagers. Their music made me who I was in highschool.

From the video they put out, it at least seems that they were friendly enough to make that together so I dont think its over for good.

Read that they were retiring, so it will be interesting to see if that is complete retirement from music or from Daft Punk project.

It's interesting that in the video only Thomas explodes... and Guy-Manuel continues on... maybe he'll do solo records?

This is sad. Around the world, Robot Rock etc. Always been a Thrashmetal Guy, but artists like daft punk made me look outside of my Box. Part of the Sound of my youth. Grateful to grew up with it.

I’m remembering now most of that video is from their Electroma film, so not something they shot for this, but the song at the end and the title rd with the dates is new.

And yes, Thomas did Stardust.

Last edited:
Yep, it’s from that (very weird) film they made. My speculation would be that the symbolism has to do with blowing up the costumes, the personas, but the end of the clip could also be seen as a sort of “riding off into the sunset.”

I did read an article from GQ with this
They believed that lives in pop music were meant to be short, they said, and they had other things to do anyway: raise children, smoke cigarettes, and maintain the privacy and tranquility they’d seen many of their friends lose to success and notoriety. "The thing we can ask ourselves at some point is like: We’re making music for twenty years,” Bangalter told me. “How many bands and acts do you have that are still making good music after twenty years?”

I would assume we will find out more about what this all means at some point, even though they’re pretty private. I guess we’ll either see new music of some sort from one/both of them, or we won’t. Unclear if the “retirement” some of these articles refer to means the end of all music-making, or just the robot duo.

Yeah considering how much each of them loves music, I cant see them stopping... but maybe just doing it privately. I can definitely understand reaching 50 years old and them wanting to get back to having normal lives after hitting all of the milestones they wanted.

Sad to hear but they had a good run.

One Band I know a s well as knew that still made new music and toured relentlessly for 40 Years was Rush.

Time took its toll though sadly for Neal and then sadly his life.

Geddy and Al will be back eventually though.

Well that sucks. Though I understand and respect the desire to keep their music special by letting it end gracefully and on their terms.

I'm a passing admirer of their stuff, I'm not much into electronica, but having grown up with mostly female cousins and family members, I've become a sucker for pop music and their stuff fits into that.

They made some good, fun music and they maintained their creativity and integrity for nearly 30 years, and that's no small feat in the entertainment business. So ending on a fairly high note makes it more understandable. At least they can always make more stuff in future if they feel like it. A great loss personally was when it was announced MF DOOM had passed away this last Halloween. It took me a near month to recover form that, I was such a huge fan of him and his work.

Speculations aren't wild or crazy but I read one recently that the decision to end the "band" and with Thomas being the one blowing up in the video, may be a reflection on him and his tinnitus (the severity is unknown) which may have played a key part in the decision.

Hopefully if we get a Tron 3, we get another awesome soundtrack with Daft Punk

If they return for Tron, that film will do gangbusters on their "reunion" just for the music alone. I don't have much hope for the film but if Daft Punk is making the score again, that's reason for admission.

I'm not really a fan of this genre of music, but I loved it in Tron Legacy. However, once I bought the soundtrack and listened to it without the movie, I found it fairly boring. I think it makes great background music, but not really something I would put on my playlist.

But, I will give the band props for their success.

I recently re watched Legacy and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time and would gladly welcome a sequel. Its definitely one I should get a copy of on bluray. Daft Punk's score was easily one of the highlights.

As sad as it is to see a really talented band break up or retire, the older I get the more I respect the choice to end things on their terms and preserve their artistic integrity, something far too many musicians are adverse to do. I was crushed when the White Stripes broke up but looking back it just makes me glad that I got to see them live when I did. What a show!!

Sometimes art needs to come to a close in order to preserve what made it special in the first place.

Their music is still NEXT LEVEL just when you think they topped themselves they do it again and again. True Pioneers of music and hopefully they continue on as solo artist and come together from time to time to collaborate. They have a huge fan base and will not be forgotten DAFT PUNK RULES!

I wonder if they're just saying that and taking a long vacation away so that they can hype up a revival when they come back.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back