Da Vinci Code Cryptex – Getting things right

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been working on a 3D digital model of the "cryptex" from the movie "The Da Vinci Code". My goal was to try to get as close as I can to the screen-used dimensions and functionality. There's a beautiful replica made by Nobel. But when you compare it to the screen used prop, there's a number of things they got wrong.

Finding reliable reference shots of the REAL crypto was tough. While a dozen or so of these were made for production, they don't seem to be hitting auctions very often. And there's some fakes out there. I was able to get screen grabs from a behind the scenes video of the prop master showing off the cryptex. I was also able to find a couple images on Getty showing a blonde woman holding and opening the cryptex from an auction site.

The cryptex is generally agreed upon to be 6" long. From this I was able to extrapolate a number of dimensions.

In that same video, they also pan by a blueprint of each of the stacked shapes that make up the complex assemblies at each end of the body. This allowed me to build this entire system out accurately.

So, what did Nobel get wrong? A few things:
  • The "inner tube" that slides out is MUCH smaller diameter than the Nobel.
  • The "key" portion of the inner tube only has two tabs on it. So the screen-used prop only locked on the last two letters. Which makes sense for a screen prop. Tom Hanks only had to line up the last two letters,
  • When the Nobel cryptex opens, it takes a larger portion of the body with it, including the end ring with the engravings. The real cryptex only had the end ring attached when it opened.
Here's a sampling of the reference images I've assembled to get this right:

da-vinci-code-e1400568081705.jpg
gettyimages-853611346-1024x1024.jpg
gettyimages-853611362-612x612.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 7.40.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.59.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 4.00.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 10.25.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 10.25.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 7.43.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 7.42.34 AM.png

Love the CAD work! Looks really impressive.

What are your plans to build your own? Machining, 3D printing, etc?

Alright, Think I'm done here ... After modeling the entire thing in 3D I began printing each piece on my 3D printer. I found an amazing metallic filament for the printer so what you're seeing here is essentially what came off my printer with no paint. The 27 piece kit was them assembled and the whole things was weathered to show it's age. Oh, and if you know the code, you can open it up to find a vial info vinegar wrapped with the screen-accurate papyrus note revealing the secret.
IMG_2321.jpeg
IMG_2316.jpeg
IMG_2309.jpeg
IMG_2308.jpg
IMG_2305.jpg
IMG_2304.jpg
IMG_2296.jpg

That really looks spectacular! And I must point out that I am one of those 3D printed item haters. Most 3D prints are just bad, but yours is a real work of art, that works on so many levels. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I'm a bit of a self-loathing 3D printer. I love the new abilities it brings me, but I want to make sure I'm not just printing off badly made replicas. Its really about understanding what the machine does best, and what needs to be hand-made. With this, it was also sharpening my 3D modeling skills. So, learning all around, which is kind of the point of all of this :)

This looks really cool! The cryptex is something Ive always wanted to add to my collection.

Great work. Been wanting to 3d print an accurate replica for a while. Any chance you would be willing to share the design in stl or obj?

Beautiful, particularly on the resin printer. I just got my Prusa mini in today, which is my first foray into 3D printing. I'm certainly nowhere near ready to tackle something like this, but it's nice to have things to aspire to.

Coincidentally I just remade this entire piece using my new resin printer. Much higher level of detail.

Still need to set up my resin printer. Have not found GOLD resin despite looking. Is this resin.....and then painted ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back