Da Vinci Code Cryptex – Getting things right

Sorry, I've never seen a Nobel Cryptex in person. I believe the diameter of the inner tube is different than mine but I'm sure you could fit something in there. The glass tube is just a cheap glass test tube I found at American Science & Surplus.

Alright, Think I'm done here ... After modeling the entire thing in 3D I began printing each piece on my 3D printer. I found an amazing metallic filament for the printer so what you're seeing here is essentially what came off my printer with no paint. The 27 piece kit was them assembled and the whole things was weathered to show it's age. Oh, and if you know the code, you can open it up to find a vial info vinegar wrapped with the screen-accurate papyrus note revealing the secret. View attachment 979733 View attachment 979734 View attachment 979735 View attachment 979736 View attachment 979737 View attachment 979738 View attachment 979739
Beautiful job ! Regards,Gary

Thanks for posting your model on Thingiverse, I printed it out over a few days and it looks awesome. I still feel like a total printing noob, but the Prusa mini worked pretty well. I'm planning on doing a fair amount of finishing work on it and giving it to my girlfriend for a Christmas gift. Bonus points for designing it with a configurable code, our cat's name (Sasha) fits perfectly.

It's not perfect, but here's the one I finished for my girlfriend. I went with gold leaf, an off-white Krylon, and a black wash for some weathering and to try to fill the letters. If I had given myself more time, the gold leafing would have been more consistent, and the letters would be filled better, but I'm still happy with how it turned out. Thanks again Valor for posting the files!

Attachments

• PXL_20201225_031616064 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20201225_031616064 - Copy.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 87
It's not perfect, but here's the one I finished for my girlfriend. I went with gold leaf, an off-white Krylon, and a black wash for some weathering and to try to fill the letters. If I had given myself more time, the gold leafing would have been more consistent, and the letters would be filled better, but I'm still happy with how it turned out. Thanks again Valor for posting the files!
It's beautiful! Great job. ... Gold leaf ... you crazy ******* :)

Hey folks, a nice little coda to this build. I built the ornate wood box the Cryptex is found in in the film. And I created some videos showing the entire build process:

Great build and some tricks of the trade are always nice to have in your "Tool box of knowledge";)
1) When cutting small pieces/thickness with table saw (blade with multi-teeth) or band saw, I usually apply a good masking tape on the edges I'm about to cut. It'll protect these and avoid any splitting, fraying and will require minimum sanding (300 grit will do the trick).

Same with veneer depending on the baking of your sheet. Some veneer is already backed with a paper baking and those type of sheet will not require the "tape trick" mentioned above as it's easy to use a cutter instead of a saw.

2) White glue is pretty solid and while putting the 3-D form inside to glue the box together (great trick, btw), that form wasn't needed (as you discovered) when cutting in half.

3) The jig you created to cut the box in half is run of the mill kind of idea. I usually put a block of wood with one face covered with moleskin and clamped slightly. That way; your blade will remain flat while cutting.
I usually use that trick with small pieces/project. And again, tape is your friend while cutting that piece off:)

is the noble collection box rose thing actually made of wood? or is it printed

The oval part with the flower is metal and the flower is just printed on one side. The oval is removeable. The other side does not have the text as shown in the movie, but you might take the oval part and have it laser engraved somewhere.

The oval part with the flower is metal and the flower is just printed on one side. The oval is removeable. The other side does not have the text as shown in the movie, but you might take the oval part and have it laser engraved somewhere.
what I might do instead is buy the noble collection's version and make the Oval out of laser engraved brass and use wood veneer for the rose like how valor did to make his box.

what I might do instead is buy the noble collection's version and make the Oval out of laser engraved brass and use wood veneer for the rose like how valor did to make his box.
You should still use the Nobel oval piece then. The back is plated with brass, but is MAGNETIC, so the plate comes on and off just by prying under it with your fingernail. If you made it of actual non-magnetic brass, it would no longer stick in place.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back