D9 Assault Rifle Dimensions?

jxwong

Hey all,
I'm trying to draw the District 9 Assault Rifle in Solidworks (a CAD program) and I need to find the correct scale of the rifle. :confused
I need a reference measurement so I can accurately draw it.

The Gas Projector stock is the same as the rifle. Measurements from GP owners would be fantastic.
Pictures of the GP, with a ruler layed next to it, may be the most useful.

****Update: 04/16 - Canister wings "done"
Do to: Trigger and side canisters...

****Update: 04/12 - Side canister(s) measurements needed from the AR.
Pics would also be helpful as well.

****Update: 04/06 - Measurement needed. Almost done...?

****Update: 03/14 - Partial Assembly

**** Update: 02/17 - Finished the butt of the rifle *************************************

Not sure if the stock thickness is correct. I just eyeballed it.
See below.

**** Update: 02/19 - Scale of stock confirmed (Thx to Nwerke) and slight project change

Still need to determine thickness of stock to estimate Z dimensions.

Last edited:
The thing about this wonderful piece is that they did not use "found parts" as far as I know. Off the top of my head I don't know when this appears in the film. I'd have to go back and look. I will tell you a a method I have used for years in this case. If someone is holding the gun then measure the width of their hand at the knuckles. Measure the width of your own hand(or if you really want to get retentive you can measure the width of several peoples hands and arrive at an average measurement). Personally, I don't go further than using my own hand as an example since I am always told I am an average size when I buy clothes. Use this hand width to get a scale range.

Otherwise, if this prop is sitting next to anything you are able to get a scale on then use that object. For example, if the gun is next to a commonly found flashlight, camera etc then use that object as a scale reference.

Does this make sense?

I hope someone here can come up with something more specific for you.

This is just a method that I have used for years. I frequently used this method for scale when I was making parts at McFarlane Toys and it always worked well.

someone with a gas projector should be able to help you with the stock dimentions.

-z

Oh you're right!
Never realized the stock of the gas projector is the same as the AR.
Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup

Now all i need is someone with the GP, a tape measure, and a digital camera.
:)

NP, Jeff, I'll measure it for you when I get home tonight. Looking forward to your result, looks good so far. Great gun, can't wait for the Weta ones to come out.

Awesome! :thumbsup

Here are the dimensions of the butt piece.
Hopefully Im not too far off.

Also, as I draw this, I may need additional measurements. :rolleyes

I will get pics for you, with a ruler, later on, bit difficult right now.

Sorry for the metric, hope you can manage it OK. The butt is bang on 2" in depth, so slightly thicker than you have it.

Thanks for the fast measurements Nwerke!
Surprisingly, I was pretty close. :)
Ill see if i can adjust the units to metric and also the dims of the butt in Solidworks.

Put me down for a copy!

I have the room for it:

Picture043-1.jpg

:)

ETA: You're doing an awesome job! The magazine is a lot more detailed than I thought, I was thinking it was a FAL magazine. Also, I have the D9 artbook that has SMG pics I could take pics of.

OMG I am spending way too much time on this thing. :wacko
Now on to the grip section. Which may or may not be easy to draw. :confused

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back