D23 gives us some TFA costume (and BB-8) materials details...

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Inquisitor Peregrinus

Master Member
Thanks to various folks for putting up pictures. And thanks to Disney and LFL for realizing fans want to know what to make their re-creations out of. ;) Anyway, thanks to comingsoon.net for the pictures I'm putting up here and more...

I don't know how much of this is new information, butif it helps even a little...

--Jonah

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Kylash

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a hard time believing a full helmet or any prop thats being used on set is a straight up 3D print. The prototypes and sculpts were probably printed, but I'd bet the final helmets and props are fiberglass/resin casts of those prototypes.

Darth Lars

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I remember those plaques. They were at the last Celebration. next to the actual items being displayed to the paying public.

dejordzta

I have a hard time believing a full helmet or any prop thats being used on set is a straight up 3D print. The prototypes and sculpts were probably printed, but I'd bet the final helmets and props are fiberglass/resin casts of those prototypes.
Seconded, especially after the whole Kylo Ren hilt with its seam line.
What's the melting/warping point of 3d printed nylon, anyone know? It'd be pretty hard to vacuum-plate stuff that has a pretty low melting point - trust me, Daft Punk helmets q.q