D-Projects: Battlestar Galactica TOS Blaster Build

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Delmustator, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Created a thread to follow this Battlestar Galactica TOS Colonial Warrior Blaster build.

Started with a kit from a fellow RPF member. I grabbed some reference pictures from the web.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to install a Plecter Labs Blaster Core into this blaster to produce the light and sound effects desired. A 1-watt Cree XRE LED will be used for the muzzle flash and original sound effects from the TV show. Power will be via (2) Lith-Ion 14500 batteries w/recharge port.

Here I have drilled the resin blaster and ran the internal wiring required.
    [​IMG]

Note: Pending the availability of the BlasterCore from Erv. I will install a nFlex electronics package to get the build rolling. This will provide muzzle flash/pulse effects.

[​IMG]

More to come...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Very cool, I'll be watching this one!

3. JoeZeppe

JoeZeppe New Member

Nice! I look forward to following your progress. :thumbsup

4. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

looks outstanding, very nice progress so far!!

Love it.

5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds great.

That Cree is going to rock!

6. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

Nice Project! I'll be watching this-

7. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Well I'm a little concerned about the weight of the muzzle on this prop. There is very little attaching it to the barrel and it is resin. I'm thinking that I need to run a metal tube from the main body, down the barrel and attach the muzzle assemble that way. I just don't think it would stand up to be played with without it.

8. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

The metal support is probably your best bet. I've heard that the hollow neck is a weak point anyway and I was planning on using a metal rod in there to strengthen that area anyway when I get to work on my hollow cast.

9. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

A couple of times into a holster and that thing would snap. It's just too much mass. I'm going to drill it out and insert a steel tube down the barrel into the main body for better support. I just have to make a jig to hold it correctly in my drill press.

10. Nicksdad

Nicksdad Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did the same on my blaster build. Got one of those long drill bits from Lowes and put a hole all the way to the back of the body and inserted a brass tube. Plenty strong.

11. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Well-Known Member

Bet on it. My rotocast blaster was done in by my 3-year-old son's butt.

12. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

You know ,I love the work in progress that you doing .....I will give you my address so you can mail it to me as soon as your finished.........lol ...JK......great work so far....will be watching with serious interest.....Guy

13. drusselmeyer

drusselmeyer Well-Known Member

You can still buy the muzzle parts at home improvement stores. A little lathe work and it will be like the real thing.

14. greenguy

greenguy Well-Known Member

Anyone know what brand/type of shower knob was used for the Galactica blaster? I searched the forum but didn't come up with info on the type used.

15. Fyberdyne Labs

Fyberdyne Labs Well-Known Member

I believe they are price fisher. I may have spelled that incorrectly. You will need 2 and they will need to be machine down to the BSG barrel size. You can't use them right out of the package. I looked and couldn't find one online yet but I know they sell them at loews.
    Mark

16. Fyberdyne Labs

Fyberdyne Labs Well-Known Member

17. greenguy

greenguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Mark!

18. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Great find! I've put this on the back burner for now. Other projects taking priority when I'm actually home to work on it. Plus I'm waiting on a new Blaster Core.

19. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

I know you've put this on the back burner for a while, just thought I'd check in and see if you've made any progress? There's a thread in the JY that made me think about your build.

20. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Nah, been on the road working with the Marine Corp. Semper Fi! I did get some new BlasterCores from Erv. Just been working other project (when I'm home). I'll get back to it soon. Gotta roll to D.C. and Camp Lejeune next week.

Then I'm off to Hawaii for a month, Okinawa for a month, and finally mainland Japan. Oh my job sucks.. ;-)

P.S. I think I'm gonna take up hula dancing in Hawaii.. I got the beer belly for it.. :facepalm

21. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Keep us updated , looking forward to see how this is going to turn out......very interested indeed........

22. Seanpnichols

Seanpnichols New Member

Very nice! Keep up the good work and please keep us posted.

23. nivektunk

nivektunk Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Del, you are the master of blasters:) First you Logan's Run DS gun, and now this. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Hope you do video like you did with the DS.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

24. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Unfortunately, I've had absolutely no time to work on my projects. Seems like I'm balls to the wall every weekend and on the road during the week. I have delivery deadlines looming for July and August. So hopefully I'll get a breather in August and can to work on them.

Heck, I'm a biker and my steel horse has only been out of the garage once this entire season. That's sad right there.

I'll take plenty of pics once I'm back at it.

25. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

any new pics of the blaster?

26. swhite228

swhite228 Well-Known Member

27. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

No movement on this project. Been working on Logan's Run blasters. The holiday season is approaching and I have some time off to work on stuff. I may put this back out and work it some.

28. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

Hello to all
    I am looking for info on the original Battlestar blaster.
    First I would like to buy a kit. The one in this tread looks very well done.
    I finally after waiting got a plector labs electronics. Anyway I would also like to know if anyone knows the main gun handle used and any model kits used to glue to it. I know about the shower handle muzzle so. Any other cool facts would be cool.
    Please let me know if you have a good quality kit available for this and the new BSG blasters. I would love the kit I see you can use to add to the air soft guns.
    Thanks again

29. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey try using a CLEAR acrycic rod going for the barrel. Might drill it out for a light...but thats what I planned to do with my casting.

30. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Going to use a hollow aluminum tube for support. It will be threaded on both ends to hold everything tightly. Plus run my wires through it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  31. swhite228

swhite228 Well-Known Member

Along with the Price Fister Marquis shower handles, some of the models you need...
    Tamiya 1/35 88mmFlak 36/37 gun
    Tamiya Quad Gun Tractor
    Tamiya Prince of Wales
    Hasagawa Akiga aircraft carrier (smaller model)
    Revell 1/48 Apollo Lunar Spacecraft kit- this is the large Apollo, Service Module, Top of the 3rd stage (LEM Garage) and Lunar Module kit. It was repopped last year as part of Revell's SSP program (limited to 5000 total)

I'm looking for info on the part on the rear of the body below the area with the Apollo antenna if anyone wants to share....Thanks.

32. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

Wow very interesting, if on could find all the parts and make a new from scratch it could be built to withstand abuse better than the alumni casts out there. a task I'm up to if I can get enough help in identifying all parts to include the big one the main gun all this felgacarb is glued to!

33. maxspr1

maxspr1 Member

There was no real gun involved. The master was a carved clay body and handgrip with various model parts, textured grips, tubes, plumbing supplies and other parts attached.

34. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

I recommend joining and reachng out to Blackstar Squadron for additional help on identifying the details you are looking for

Blackstar Squadron - Home

35. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm looking for info on the part on the rear of the body below the area with the Apollo antenna if anyone wants to share....Thanks.[/QUOTE]

What part? Have a pic?
    the square panel thingy?

I think it was from one of the large gun models. ANZIO ANNIE...but Im not sure. I helped build the XFX version of this when they did that "licensed" one via the Battlestar Galactica page.

In fact the elevator on those guns was completely scratch built as we couldn't get access to one in time.

36. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

hey thanks for the info i ordered the kits for the project. plus what i dont use for the blaster project i will use for a compleate scratch build ship im building that is in the early stages.
    so how do you know about the kits needed? not trying to be smart @## just curious!
    again thank you for the info. do you know what kind of magic markers were used to make the recharge ammo on the belt?

37. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

cool info. so my question in all seriousness is how did you get this info.
    thanks again for the info. im a real nut for this kind of stuff.

38. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

hey love your site and yep i joined up.
    thank you

39. mlsmithjr

mlsmithjr Active Member

Oh man, this prop is on my top 5 must-haves. Can't wait to see how yours turns out - could be what I need to get motivated. Subscribing.

40. maxspr1

maxspr1 Member

Check out the behind the scenes photos here:
    Original Blaster under Construction - Original Blaster under Construction 02 - ByYourCommand.net Gallery
    Also, I've owned two (selling them is my biggest prop collecting regret--ever!!) and I've seen a few other originals and you can still see tool marks and carving marks in them, even though they're just rubber or fiberglass castings of the clay & model parts master.

Actually I just took a closer look at the photo in the link above, and it looks like the entire handgrip area is carved/machined lucite or clear resin or something like that. it may be that the clay and model parts and everything else is built up on a lucite (or whatever) understructure that includes the handgrip.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  41. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

Wow good pics! I am still working my project so still gathering info and kits, ect. I plan to figure a way to use metal tubes to run the wire to the muzzle end. I also need to cast my blaster kit I currently have to modify parts for a new master. Anyway a fun but my no means a quick project. I finally got a shower knob to put on the lath hopefully get that turned down this week or next. Anyone know a how to get good kit for the air soft conversions for season one and two of the new BSG?

42. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

worked on the muzzle today! i started with the shower handle and put it on the wood lath and well here are a few pics look for yourself. IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0898.jpg IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0912.JPG IMG_0913.JPG

43. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

44. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

Thank you, however a may turn another because I was looking at the web and different pics and some not all show the middle section turned around so I would need to cut the end off and move it to the back making it the front. If you look at pics on. Web you'll see .
    the grove ends are backward so they must have cut the end off and glued it to the back. But like I said there are pics outh there with it this way.

45. enterprise0216

enterprise0216 Well-Known Member

It looks really great nicely done i will be following this thread closely. Hopefully in time you get it done take care.

46. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

Hello sir
    I have this kit to do the Simi scratch built blaster I'm working on. Is this kit good fit? And is it capable of programming the old school blaster sound into it?
    Brad
    Bp0314

47. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

Working on the emitter again. I think I'm getting a little OCD on it. Anyway my emitter/muzzle will be just slightly larger in width and length. I am however going to hav a simi scratch build so it should look great. The only big difference will be my ribs on the emitter will be deeper thus making it just slightly larger by about 1/6" .
    Will be casting a base very soon and refitting it to make a working blaster capable casting.
    Will post more pics latter.

48. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

our Supply Officer over at Blackstar Squadron (Spectre) is working on a light and sound kit to retro fit existing lasers. he's trying to make it so most of the unit fits into the emitter area so you'd only have to run the trigger into the laser body.

no current ETA, but it should be coming soon, since he just recently retired from the Air Force.

49. bp0314

bp0314 New Member

i would be interested in a light and sound kit. is he doing a sign up list?

50. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Like that emitter! It should flash ultra bright with a Luxeon Rebel or P7 installed. I put a P4 in mine and it's ok. My emitter is frosted so it does not transmit the light as well.