D.C.'s The Flash (tv series)

I'm thinking their inference is that (possibly anyhow) that Oliver restarting things resulted in him having a bit of influence and that's how the people he knew where returned to a singular earth. They didn't explain it, just had the montage at the end.

Stargirl, for example, was shown as Earth-2 i believe. Routh's Kingdom come was another, as was swamp things, etc.

His tweets were really messed up but it kind of sounded like he struggled to change from the person he was. Any who, it’s a bummer because I liked his character.

By that definition, every rapper should be fired after his first album is released. It just seems to depend upon what the current hot topic is, and how much attention the company wants to receive in their response to it.

Unfortunately, this is true. If you slap some music around it, you can pretty much get away with saying anything. Past, present, and future. Can you imagine the amount of musical artists who would just dragged over the coals if you actually analyzed their lyrics and judged them by the current standards? The amount is mind-boggling. And its not just rap by any means. Rock, Country, Blues, etc. No musical genre is innocent in that sense.

I say again, I thank god Almighty there was no social media when I was growing up. I've pretty much saved all my old high school and college notebooks because I was always drawing, doodling, and writing crazy junk in them. I look at some of that stuff now--Oh man, I would be crucified if some of that stuff ever saw the light of day!! Yet, at the time, there was no real malice in what I was doing. It was just all meaningless, depraved, dark, teenage humor. However, today, if you were throw that stuff out into the public with no context, I would surely lose my job, be publicly disgraced, and maybe even thrown in jail.:eek:

At least he's owning it and not trying to spin it at all. At least from what i've read anyhow.

Again, i can't believe these guys don't undergo some sort of vetting where this stuff shouldn't have been caught in the first place. Application processes at most companies these days are asking for facebook and twitter accounts to check you out. Being a star of TV show, you'd think, would require at least as much checking.

I haven't actually seen the tweets. Worse than the stuff James Gunn used to tweet? They let him slide.

Except, they really didn't? Did we forget the debacle of Gunn being fired and the associated outcry from basically everyone? Gunn was basically out of a job for almost a year over tweets that were well over a decade old.

There hasn't been any similar outpouring about how these tweets don't actually reflect Sawyer's beliefs/behavior that I've heard of. Take that with a grain of salt, I suppose, but maybe Sawyer had just learned not to put those sorts of things out on social media, but was still a douchecanoe in real life?

Well, personally I don't have a dog in this fight to begin with, so I really don't care one way or the other if Gunn or Sawyer were fired. Both them and Roseanne all probably have more money that most of us will ever see in a lifetime. I'm sure James Gunn and several of his future generations could live comfortably on what he made off of GOG.

So, honestly I don't care. I just read Hartley's tweets, none of that crap upsets me, I'm unoffendable. Same attitude I have with Gunn, same with Roseanne. I grew up in the "....words can never hurt me" era. I know a joke when I see it. And that's all all of these things were. Say what you will, doesn't bother me.

Sometimes good people say bad stuff, so I guess we gotta destroy them.
Sometimes bad people say good stuff, so I guess we just forgive them.

It's this BIZARRO world we live in.

Except, they really didn't? Did we forget the debacle of Gunn being fired and the associated outcry from basically everyone? Gunn was basically out of a job for almost a year over tweets that were well over a decade old.

There hasn't been any similar outpouring about how these tweets don't actually reflect Sawyer's beliefs/behavior that I've heard of. Take that with a grain of salt, I suppose, but maybe Sawyer had just learned not to put those sorts of things out on social media, but was still a douchecanoe in real life?

I've only read one article on it so maybe that one is wrong, but essentially, from what I could tell was that Gunn was being a ******* at the time and saying it for humorous intent. From the get go he was saying that and that he knows it was wrong etc....With Sawyer, it seemed (at least from the article) his weren't entirely in jest and that he's changed his views in the intervening period.

Gunn fought for his job to a degree. Sawyer is saying he messed up badly, was wrong, and accepts the results.

As I said though, in both cases, it's not quite believable the powers that be didn't do deep dives on either's facebook/twitter accounts etc. The accounts were seen and dismissed originally i'd wager and only dealt with when people pointed them out.

In both cases though, each of them action taken against them for actions occurring a good deal before their hiring.

I do find odd that pretty much EVERYONE who dealt with gunn over the prior 6-7 years immediatedly jumped to his defense. I'm sure, that in turn motivated the fanbase as well. No one seems to have come to Sawyers defense. Take that however you will.

First, it's a shame for the show from a story perspective, because I really enjoyed Ralph on the show, and they were just setting up him and Sue to be an item, which I was looking forward to.

Second, it makes perfect sense that they'd fire him over this. They have a brand to protect. "They" being Berlanti Productions, which is doing a TON of shows now, all oriented around the DC superheroes. I mean, everyone who watches these shows sees how week after week they pretty proudly hit "woke" themes and social issues head-on. The production company has a point of view, and its brand is not just that they make superhero shows, but that they make socially aware, progressive-value superhero shows. Some don't like that, some don't care, some like it, but that's all beside the point.

The point is that if your brand is "socially aware, progressive-value superhero shows" having one of your heroes played by a guy who has a record of making statements that run directly counter to that brand just because he said "Oops. I'm a different person now that the company of socially aware, progressive-value superhero shows is cutting the checks" opens your brand up to potential damage. Suddenly, you look a lot less socially aware and progressive-value-driven because you continue to employ a guy who maaaaaaybe is a closet racist/misogynist/homophobe. I mean, why risk it?

It is also potentially noteworthy that, contrary to how James Gunn's coworkers sprang to his defense, you aren't seeing anyone -- including the actor himself! -- defending Sawyer. Instead of "That's NOT who this guy is anymore," it's "Whoa....this sucks. I'm really saddened by it." Maybe that suggests he's not really all that different, maybe it highlights other on-set friction, maybe it's just people protecting their jobs. But whatever the case, it still makes sense to me that they'd fire Sawyer. You do not endanger the brand.

Third, this is the second high-profile departure from a Berlantiverse superhero show. I've been hearing mixed reports on the Batwoman situation, saying that their going to simply re-cast the role in one case, and in the other that they're just....bringing in a new character altogether to be Batwoman. It makes me wonder if Elongated Man will simply....disappear, and Sue with him, or if they'll recast the role or something. I mean, if you're having Elongated man, you could just have him say he's gotten better control of his powers and wanted a new face like a new haircut or something. That's a lot tougher to do than recast Kate Kane, though.

Anyway, I guess they have some time to figure this all out. Not like they're gonna be shooting any time soon.

The most surprising thing to me was that Sawyer wasn't defending himself or trying to keep his job. He owned what he did. That's far more than most people. And i'm not sure i've seen anyone busted for something like this do that.

I'm curious if they'd go the same route, though, if this was Grant Gustin or Melissa Benoist, though. His character is MUCH easier to replace or get rid of. Then again, maybe they did go that route with a star....Just saying, if i'm the star and I leave my show after a year because i got hurt, or it's too grueling, or i miss home, etc, i'll say so. I'm not be all vague about it every time it comes up.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back