Cyborg Darth Maul Costume WIP

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darth Serberus, May 17, 2012.

1. Darth Serberus

Darth Serberus Active Member

I've been toying with the idea for a year or two since I first saw this concept pic. After having so much fun on the stilts with my Tarfful build I thought I'd have another go.
    The Digi-legs shouldn't be too tricky as I have made some in the past. The hardest thing will be the body paint which would take a couple of hours alone (not a nice way to start a troop!) I was thinking instead of using bodypaint to make a body suit skin that I can just slip into. The only make-up then has to go on my head.
    Still undecided as to which version to go for, this one...
    [​IMG]
    ...this one...
    [​IMG]
    ...or this one?
    [​IMG]
    Should have it ready for...erm...the...erm... end of times?? maybe!

2. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

if it were me I would go Clone Wars only because the Horns and everything are pretty much the same as Ep1 and I enjoy using what I have.

3. Aeronnz

Aeronnz New Member

If I were you, I would go with building what you see in the first or second pictures. He just looks so much more menacing in those pictures, and I absolutely HATE the Clone Wars. (Also, the cape on the second picture would definitely be a nice addition to your costume.)

4. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I'd use picture #2. The hip joint would be the easiest to replicate.

5. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian Member

#2 for sure

6. venator

venator Member

#2 gets my vote too :)

7. Darth Serberus

Think I'm gonna have to go with version 2 as everyone seems to be liking that one better. Probably do the cloak and gloves as an extra anyway.
    I have my regular Maul horns but I can't go half way on this so I going to sculpt some new longer versions. I could use the horns from my Savage Opress costume but Maul's has a slightly different style.

8. greatzombiehunt

greatzombiehunt New Member

This is great. I too have just started the planning phase of this costume myself and am looking forward to seeing how yours and mine come out.

-GZH

9. Xerakon

Xerakon New Member

#2 is a great choice. I've done the full-body before, and it's a PITA if you're a perfectionist about that sort of thing. Or if you sweat like a pig. I could only get it going on for a few hours outdoors, then had to flee inside and swap out. But then, I wasn't working with the best of paints at the time. =)

10. Lettersfromhoth

Lettersfromhoth New Member

this is going to be an awesome build to watch.. i've take notes from your Tarfful build to hopefully help me with my Tarfful build

11. oota goota

oota goota Well-Known Member

More!!! More!!! Doooo thiiissssss!!!!!

12. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

I really like the 2nd picture. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of the longer horns. I like the looks of the shorter ones way better.

Regardless, I can't wait to see how you'll do with this!

13. Darth Serberus

Weta digilegs are ordered and should be in any day now. Then I can have a play around and see what needs to be done. I want to try to cheat the eye and get those hips looking a bit narrower. Wearing a body skin will help with that.
    I'll post up some pics and maybe a quick vid of the digilegs in action.
    Gonna have to spend a bit of time up grading them first as the largest ones I ordered are just on the short side for my leg length.

14. FudgeMando

FudgeMando Active Member

Were did u order the digilegs ,I didn't think they sold them anymore

15. Darth Serberus

Yes you are correct. Weta do not sell these commercially any more. I ordered mine from Area 51 in the UK. They produce the exact copy of the ones developed by Kim Graham and Weta.
    I spoke to Area 51 yesterday and my stilts are being shipped today! So I should have them tp play with next week hopefully.
    Here's a vid made by Area 51 of their Digileg stlits-
    DIGILEGS by Area 51 - YouTube

16. sleepalot

sleepalot Active Member

SICK idea. As in that would be one sweeeeet costume.

17. Darth Serberus

Cheers dude, planning on doing the body cast in the next week. Then I can get down to the fun bit....sculpting!!

18. oota goota

wow serberus am very subscribed!

19. Dougie Fett

Dougie Fett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We are definitely in for a treat, this will be amazing like everything else you do!

20. hc8719

hc8719 Member

How are you considering doing the legs? Black pants with resin "armor" sewn on?

21. mrbungle

mrbungle Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is going to be and awesome freaking project, can't wait for pics!!!!!!!!!!

22. sleepalot

sleepalot Active Member

Maybe tryout some cold cast resin for the legs? Thought maybe for the shine and battle damage scarring would look cool

23. CaptainWales

CaptainWales Well-Known Member

This is going to be an awesome project, cyborg Maul just looks so bad-*. Can't wait to see some pictures.

24. Darth Serberus

I'm toying with idea of using a whole bunch of different materials to pull the legs off.
    Some EVA foam and latex for the parts that need flexibility, and fibreglass and aluminium resin for the stiff battle damaged armour. That's the plan at the moment, but until I have the Digilegs to play with it's all a bit up in the air. The Digilaegs were sent out on Friday so I should have them in my hands any day now.
    Clothears Costumes from the UK are looking at the cloak thingy and gloves for me. They are thrashing out some designs at present so I might post up some of their design concepts when i get hold of them. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

25. Darth Serberus

Digilegs turned up yesterday. They are a serious bit of kit and worth every penny. When I first tried standing in them I thought it was going to be impossible. But after only a few minutes wearing them I was literally running up hill in them!!
    They're a tad heavier than I had hoped but I'm going to try and loose a bit of weight off them before I start to bolt the claws on etc. They are going to be a great base to work from. I'll get some pics and maybe a vid up in the next few days.

26. oota goota

just think a few days running around in those suckers you'll won't notice the weight :)

27. greatzombiehunt

Has anyone found any reference pics of the back of cyborg Maul.? I was wandering what the back of his "Cyborg Diaper" looks like? and are you plaining on just making up the back as you build?

-GZH

28. Darth Serberus

Just waiting on some new ref pics to turn up then I'll have a better idea.

29. Darth Serberus

So here are a couple of pics at last.
    As you can see they are extremely low profile so I will have plenty of scope to add to the thickness of the legs.
    [​IMG]
    The foot is really soild too. Made of welded steel plate it will give the articulated claws a really good base to bolt onto.
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow I'll post up the vid of the guy who works for me wearing them for the first time. Poor guy is fast becoming my Karl Pilkington, everytime I have something to test he gets thrown into it. lol

30. runnriottt

runnriottt Well-Known Member

Digging it man! Also digging you Vader "Lamps". Trying to figure out the wires from the stands...

31. Darth Serberus

Cheers dude!
    The Vader Lamps? lol Those are a few Vader lids I have just made, resprayed and refitted. Basically upgrading them for trooping etc. The wires are for connecting to the amps and battery packs. One lead is for the microphone the other for cooling fans.
    The second and last ones from the right are my own sculpt from scratch, the others are a pair of GypsyBoys and an SPFX one that i have upgraded.

32. FudgeMando

FudgeMando Active Member

hers a model not sure if its accurate though
    ugh cant get the image to show up heres a link to it
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/theclonewarsseason4folgr.jpg/

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  33. Darth Serberus

That's brilliant thanks a million for that pic. Just what I needed.
    I'll be able to workout most of the build just from that.
    In the mean time here is a little vid as promised of Kamil wearing the stilits for the very first time. We put them on him and at first he couldn't even stand up in them but within 2 minutes, literally he walked outside...

Darth Maul Cyborg Costume Leg Test - YouTube

As you can see it was hard work at first. Plus these legs aren't really set up for him as he is a good few inches shorter than me.
    Half the trick will be to stop your arms swinging about too much and come up with a natural looking gait.

34. Comicpit

Comicpit Member

Very creepy looking but an awesome idea.

35. kinddestodes

kinddestodes New Member

awesome my legs are nearly done were using eva foam :)

36. greatzombiehunt

Those pics are amazing FudgeMando I think they are some of the last pics i need for planning for this myself.

Darth Serberus
    what is that little wedge that your toes rest on made of on your stilts. it looks like some kind of high dens foam maybe, I had not thought of using that material for that purpose it looks a lot more comfy then the wood wedges I've used before.

-GZH

37. FudgeMando

FudgeMando Active Member

Man I found that pic right after I finished my "cyborg diaper" :facepalm

38. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

Was thinking of duin the same thing. Using the same legs I noticed the velcroe system and figured a magnetic clamshell for the metal legs. Configured in the same way as stormtrooper armor. For the upper torso Flex Design Costumes The Clone Wars version with the trimmed horns has not only bracers to hide the seam at the wrist but a gorget to hide the neck seam.

Maul pix to come.

39. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

40. cHARMcityXero

cHARMcityXero Member

i just got my darth maul force fx and converted it right when the new clone wars maul came back! instantly thought of this costume your work is great but the weta legs are so effing expensive i have seen some 'home-made' ones online i will try something more like that i think in a few months but awesome work

41. Yodamann

Yodamann Active Member

Any progress on here?

Bit of a ghost town...

42. Darth Serberus

Haha yeah I'm dying to get back and attack this one. My Darth Malgus build has taken the priority lately. But things have been moving forward with this one too, all be it very slowly.
    My Flex Designs muscle suit came in. I opted for the standard 'upper body' only suit in Maul red.
    It looks a whole lot better on than it does on the hanger. And they are EXTREMELY well made. However I've decided I'm not going to use it as it has a very cartoon quality about it. I was hoping I could perhaps give it a more skin like coating and with the body tattoos added would help to hide that cartoon-like quality.
    So the moment Malgus is signed off I'm going to do a bit of body casting and sculpt up a completely new torso. Then cast it in Ecoflex silicone. This should be a fairly straight forward build compared to Malgus, so we should see some results pretty quickly.:thumbsup

43. Darth Serberus

Yes you are dead right it is VHD EVA foam. Just helps things to be a bit comfy. That is only a temporary fix as I plan to make a ski boot like shoe that snaps around the foot. This should help take out any play in the foot and make walking in the stilts a little more confident.

44. Darth Serberus

Thanks for the pics I have been using some of those as reference for this build and they've proved invaluable.
    I do have some experience with the make up, specifically Reel Creations which is great stuff! I only ever use Reel Creations when I do my regular Maul or Savage Opress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG](that's me as Savage not Maul in that one)
    Oh btw the Sith Lord forum were using my pics a good while ago for their Maul costume reference pics! Lol

45. The Schlitzie

The Schlitzie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like a cool build! The Maul in the 2nd pic in you OP looks like the cover to A Star Wars romance novel, hehe.

46. Rancorite

Rancorite Member

Holy Crap you're right, he even has the bedroom eyes. Its only missing the Fabio hair.

47. The Schlitzie

The Schlitzie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can see the cheesy story description on the back of the novel now.

"The forbidden love between a jedi and a sith, but she couldn't resist the dark side, or his rippling pecs." haha.

48. raif79

raif79 Well-Known Member

Fabio horns!

49. Darth Serberus

Haha just you wait for the chapter when he pulls out his big saber!! Lol

50. Darth Serberus

With my Darth Malgus costume all finished I was getting Sith Lord withdrawals so I got back to this build.
    Just waiting on getting the body cast done so in the meantime I started with the easy bit, the gloves.
    Pulled out my leather kit and cut and stitched on the extensions.
    [​IMG]
    The crumpling hides the seam nicely which is a good job as the only stitch I'm capable of is a chunky sadle stitch. It's a bit overkill for this super fine goat skin leather but at least I'm confident it won't fall apart.
    [​IMG]
    I also started on the claws for the Digilegs. Started with some very rough cardboard templates which I then cut in VHD EVA foam.
    [​IMG]
    This is only to test the proof of concept at the moment as I want the claws to move nicely when I walk. Still undecided as to what to make these in just yet.
    [​IMG]