Cutting Sintra Plastic For Complex Shapes

vonroll

I was stuck trying to figure out a way to cut Sintra (pvc sheet) into complex shapes. I first attempted my Roto Zip saw but it runs at such a high RPM that it literally melts the plastic and in many times, the plastic behind the cut re-seals itself. It's also hand-held, so that's an issue too. Anyway, I hit upon putting my Roto Zip bit into a drill press and it works pretty damn good. The slower RPM helps create a better edge. I can see also that I'd be able to stack armor pieces and cut them out uniformly due to the greater torque of the drill press.
blades.jpg

I've heard an exacto knife works ok but man wouldn't that be painful after a while.
I hope this helps.

awesome to have a hands free drill like that one!!! my roto zip has differend speed settings but like u said by being hand held its kinda hard.... thanks for sharing that idea , i think they sell a stand for mines i got to check....thanks bud

Hi m8

I've been looking into router bits for my router when I get it, and you can get all different bits pending what you want to cut. This firm are good as they do loads pending what you want to cut http://www.cutter-shop.com

:) Don

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome to have a hands free drill like that one!!! my roto zip has differend speed settings but like u said by being hand held its kinda hard.... thanks for sharing that idea , i think they sell a stand for mines i got to check....thanks bud

my RotoZip was one of the first ones out and it's one speed only (FAST). :) I thought about buying a speed control for it, but that's not cheap and it didn't get around the hand held aspect which I'm shaky on. I'd definitely buy that stand. I didn't know that they had one for the RotoZip. That might even be better. Then I guess you can pick if you either move the material or move the tool.

during my sintra fiddling phase, I used a coping saw and cut my shapes by hand. I found that anything powered I had was too fast (melted the plastic) and was too uncontrollable. A fine tooth, narrow blade band saw works well too on a slow setting.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back