Cutting Aluminum on a band saw

TFrosst

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys. i'm planning on buying myself a Ryobi 9" bandsaw and have a couple of questions. Do I need a special blade to cut aluminum? Does the speed on the band saw have to be able to change or can I just turn it on a cut away?

Depends on thickness of aluminum. IIRC blades made available for that saw are for wood. I'd check the manufacturers recommendations. A small saw like that is not real stable weight wise and where a chek in wood may simple cause a slight jerk, a couple aluminum burrs grabbing the blade could cause loss of control of the machine and injury.

I have cut up to 1/8 alum on my Dremel jig tablesaw but got some spiral diamond blades to do the cutting.

They do make a special blade for cutting metals and aluminum.When cutting aluminum I use wax on the blade to keep the teeth from getting cloged up.

Originally posted by shotts63@Feb 28 2006, 07:39 PM
They do make a special blade for cutting metals and aluminum.When cutting aluminum I use wax on the blade to keep the teeth from getting cloged up.
[snapback]1195987[/snapback]​

Spraying PAM cooking spray on the area being cut or even WD-40 also works great to keep the teeth from clogging up and keeps the area cool.

- Jim :fettrotj

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back