Cut the ROTJ Port. reveal to separate the face?

The Portumac ROTJ reveal helmet does not have the top half of the face separated from the "chin" area. I'd like to separate the two so the face is removable like on the original... Has anyone done it? Can it be done?

Originally posted by westies 14@Feb 27 2006, 10:41 AM
Can it be done?
[snapback]1194747[/snapback]​

I'v pondered this myself. Portumac has the least expensive fiberglass Vader buckets I've found. They aren't screen-perfect, but for the price it's close enough for me.

Can it be done? I don't see why not. "Is it worth the effort?" is a better question. It's going to take a lot of effort to pull this off. Cutting around the "half round" from the tusk is going to very difficult. It might be worth while to file/sand/grind that feature off, make the cut, and then resculpt it. That's going to be a LOT of work, with a lot of margin for error. Portumac is a bargain, but not enough of a bargain that I can afford to destroy one in a botched attempt.

While I think it's possible to do, it really might be worth spending the extra $ to buy a face mask this was already built in two pieces.

Keep in mind that all of this is just based off the pictures I've seen on eBay. I haven't actaully got the helmet sitting infront of me. I would love to hear from someone who does.

I split a Vader mask for a Reveal style helmet, but I don't recommend it. Basically, as mentioned before, the lower tusk tube will be destroyed and cutting the chin/mouth part was no picnic either. If you were going to do this, I would just buy two helmets and use the lower of one and the upper of the other. Maybe the guy will give you a deal if you buy two. Good luck.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back