Customer build 1/350 NX-01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve - a small piece of advice... Watch the first and last seasons... the seasons in the middle are why it lost its audience and was canceled... I LOVE the 4th season... its what good trek is all about. :thumbsup

Then afterward go back and see the mess in the middle...

Jedi Dade

I love the entire Enterprise series. To me it is second only to TOS. I suggest watching it in season order, 1-4.

The Next Gen was a distant third for me; it had some great episodes but overall it was too watered down with too many characters and a bit too much self importance, and lacked the pure spirit and virility of TOS and Enterprise.

DS9 and Voyager just did not appeal to me.

Last edited:
Oooofff - that entire Xindi thing... Not Star Trek for me. I don't think I am alone on that either. The other two seasons superb...

the xindi thin running throug hth eexpanse was too BSG/StarBlazers or my taste... but if you enjoted it I'm glad. I wasn;t of the opinion it stunk as SCI-Fi like some, just that it wasn't what I wanted from Star Trek.

this the last I will comment - no need to sully this awesome thread with hijacking :)

Jedi Dade

Hi Guys,

I just joined this forum. I was doing research for the 1/350 Polar Lights Kit of the NX-01 Enterprise kit. Found the build Steve did of that ship on the Modeler Magic website. then this site found the entire build thread. This is a fantastic build!

I'm very late to this thread. I hope I can still ask some questions. It's been over 20 years since I built a model and I want to get back into it. I too am a life long Star Trek fan. I also found the TOS Enterprise thread by the way, that is looking like quite an epic build too as someone already has said! I am old school, but like the new series a lot. But there is still only one great starship, the original Enterprise! Kirk's ship. But I like the Enterprise series too and have come to appreciate this ship.

I have been collecting slowly the past couple of years a few kits and some tools. The 1/350 scale Polar Lights Star Trek The Motion Picture Enterprise Refit kit, before the Round 2 version. And I have a Paasche VL airbrush I picked up to do the detailing paint work. Not sure I made the right choice, I have not used it yet. I was wondering if it is capable of painting such a large model! I saw in the early photos Steve has what looks like the same airbrush.

I thought I'd start by re-introducing myself to the hobby with a simple P-51 build and do a similar metal finish and then move onto a 1/1000 scale NX-01 and then a 1/1000 TOS Enterprise.

So was the Paasche used to paint the entire NX-01 exterior and interior coats too? As well as the clear coats?

Where can I still find this kit?

Thanks, I look forward to more threads like this!

Nelson

man i'm still new to this site and seeing your work i have to keep picking up my jaw at all the work and detail you have done to a simple model kit. maybe its cause i'm a twisted person but have you or will you ever do a extremely battle damage ship that has exposed decks/levels?

Hi Guys,

I just joined this forum. I was doing research for the 1/350 Polar Lights Kit of the NX-01 Enterprise kit. Found the build Steve did of that ship on the Modeler Magic website. then this site found the entire build thread. This is a fantastic build!

I'm very late to this thread. I hope I can still ask some questions. It's been over 20 years since I built a model and I want to get back into it. I too am a life long Star Trek fan. I also found the TOS Enterprise thread by the way, that is looking like quite an epic build too as someone already has said! I am old school, but like the new series a lot. But there is still only one great starship, the original Enterprise! Kirk's ship. But I like the Enterprise series too and have come to appreciate this ship.

I have been collecting slowly the past couple of years a few kits and some tools. The 1/350 scale Polar Lights Star Trek The Motion Picture Enterprise Refit kit, before the Round 2 version. And I have a Paasche VL airbrush I picked up to do the detailing paint work. Not sure I made the right choice, I have not used it yet. I was wondering if it is capable of painting such a large model! I saw in the early photos Steve has what looks like the same airbrush.

I thought I'd start by re-introducing myself to the hobby with a simple P-51 build and do a similar metal finish and then move onto a 1/1000 scale NX-01 and then a 1/1000 TOS Enterprise.

So was the Paasche used to paint the entire NX-01 exterior and interior coats too? As well as the clear coats?

Where can I still find this kit?

Thanks, I look forward to more threads like this!

Nelson

That airbrush with a proper amount of PSI will more than do the job. I use a large compressor with a 12 gallon tank. However, I used aluminum buffing metalizer, metalizer fix over it, then clear gloss to be able to slide the million decals, All Testors rattle cans.

I only used the airbrush for the battle scars and touch ups. although I often use the airbrush to paint entire hulls. Some ime 7 footers like the big Submarines. You can see them on me web site www.sneillfx.com

As for creating a battle hardened ship with decks showing I would love to one day.

Thanks to both of you and the kind words. And welcome aboard this great forum. Get to work and if I can help I will. ;)

Enjoy,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply! That NX-01 build is really inspiring me.

I have a compressor with a 12 gallon tank too. Just need to outfit it with the proper traps and such before I use it with the airbrush.

I also have a Binks Model 2001 gun that I once used to paint a small body panel molding on a car. But it seems like an over kill gun for a 1/350 sized ship?

Interesting you used the rattle cans for the metal finish, seal and clear coat. I'll look into that, thanks!

I saw your site. Great projects there! I really like the Disney Nautilus! You painted the entire hull with the Paasche? I can see that you probably used it to highlight the rivets.

The Seaview build is great too! Makes me want to pull out the Walter Pigeon film version DVD!

I'm looking at a Tamiya P-51 kit to get started with so we'll see how that goes as I gather more tools and set-up a proper work space.

Nelson

What I used on the NX is what you should use on the P-51. Aluminum rub and buff.

And yes I mixed the paint for the Nautilus and airbrushed it with the same airbrush. I use it for everything and have several.

Glad you enjoyed the sight.

Enjoy building the P-51. I have an RC one inbound.

Steve

Thanks again Steve!

I guess I'll find out when I get started with the projects how well that airbrush works. I will definitely check out the Testors spray paints for the aluminum finishes.

I hope to see your P-51!

Nelson

Not to compare my unlit 1/1000 NX-01 to your extraordinary 1/350 Steve, but I was just a little pleased to read you used aluminum metallizer from a ratttle can on your ship; I did the same thing on my smaller build a few years back. Worked great with Justin Leighty's aztec decals too.

Steve I just saw this thread and looked over your website. I'm speechless. You have some of the most impressive models and amazing subs I have ever seen! That seaworthy Nautilus is incredible, and the various starships ... just outstanding!

When the time comes to finally get a lit Star Destroyer and Enterprise, I know who I'm going to (my model skills are good (not at all to your level though) but I have squat with electronics).

Oh, and I have to say I love the pulsating Star Destroyer engines, the detail really makes it that more special!

Thank you for sharing your incredible talents with us!

Steve I just saw this thread and looked over your website. I'm speechless. You have some of the most impressive models and amazing subs I have ever seen! That seaworthy Nautilus is incredible, and the various starships ... just outstanding!

When the time comes to finally get a lit Star Destroyer and Enterprise, I know who I'm going to (my model skills are good (not at all to your level though) but I have squat with electronics).

Oh, and I have to say I love the pulsating Star Destroyer engines, the detail really makes it that more special!

Thank you for sharing your incredible talents with us!

Thanks so much for the kind words I'm the one that's speechless now. ;)

Steve

Necro-Post

Hi Steve - After watching your TOS E build & going back to this thread I got all the goodies to try & build me an NX-01. As I look closer at the ship it looks like the shuttle bays have top and bottom hatches. In all your talk with Doug Drexler did he ever metion anything about the shuttle bays? I'd like to build mine with an open bay on one side.

Thanks for the awesome build & sharing it with us all!

No we never talked about that but you can do it. I see no reason why not. I still have mine to build that Doug sent me. I'd like to see what you come up with.

Steve

I've started collecting some pics for reference - but you'll have to time me with a calendar - I'm a pretty slow builder!

I figured out I was looking at the wrong hatches for the shuttle bay by reading Doug Drexlers site. I now see the shuttle bay doors are onm the bottom towards the back of the saucer right where you put the support pole. I was thinking the 4 hatches on top & bottom/Port & starboard were shuttle bay doors. Doug's explanation is they are cargo loading areas that actually go right through the ship if you open up the top & bottom hatches. That could look really cool!

I'm thinking for detail in the shuttle bay I might need some photo-etch. Maybe some 1:350 aircraft carrier parts could workk off the shelf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back