Custom THE FLASH Cosplay (Would be grateful for some tips lol)

JackShanahan23

This is a thread for my new Flash cosplay. It's a custom design and I have concept art that I will upload shortly.

I've decided that except for the cowl and chest emblem, I'm going to basically make the entire suit out of polyester waffle fabric, as seen here:

polyester waffel fabric.jpg
(It will be dark red, of course)

What I also intend to do is to install some LEDs into the suit (Yellow on suit, and maybe a little bit of red on the yellow boots). I have found some of these light up shoelaces that look good and I would love to use. My issue with them, though, is that black boxy thing where the power in these comes from and how big it is. I'm afraid it will stick out and be awkward
Shoelaces with.jpgShoelaces.jpg

Does anyone have any good ideas on how I can get LEDs into the suit with these bulky black power boxes sticking out? (Not specifically LED shoelaces lol)

Also, since the suit is all the polyester fabric, does anyone have any recommendations as to what material (rubber urethane, latex, etc.) would look good with the rest of the suit?

For the light up stuff, look into EL Wire. Same kind of thing as those shoe laces, but super bright and you can order whatever length you need. However, they still have the black box. It's a battery pack and is pretty much unavoidable. On a skin tight costume like this one, the best hiding places tend to be in a boot, or behind you at your waist line, where it will stick out a bit but is least likely to be seen.

I think you last question is about what material to use for the details, in which case I would go with rubber urethane. Latex tends to be rather shiny and sleek, and the waffle fabric will have a textured look to it, so the two might not coexist well. I would go with the urethane rubber.

On the fabric question, does it need to stretch? If so, a super thin neoprene would look nice and high-tech with the waffle. I also like to use jumbo spandex and use the wrong (matte) side rather than the shiny side.

For the light up stuff, look into EL Wire. Same kind of thing as those shoe laces, but super bright and you can order whatever length you need. However, they still have the black box. It's a battery pack and is pretty much unavoidable. On a skin tight costume like this one, the best hiding places tend to be in a boot, or behind you at your waist line, where it will stick out a bit but is least likely to be seen.

I think you last question is about what material to use for the details, in which case I would go with rubber urethane. Latex tends to be rather shiny and sleek, and the waffle fabric will have a textured look to it, so the two might not coexist well. I would go with the urethane rubber.

I like the idea of the urethane rubber I'll do that. And I'll figure out a way to use the EL wires I like them too much lol

Okay, SO I have decided to not use EL wire anymore, due to the fact that there is no good way to keep the battery hidden. However, I do have a plan. I'm currently in the process of sculpting the mask and I'm about halfway done. I made concept art, but I found that the newest new 52 costume of the Flash looks like my concept art, only better lol. So i will be basing it off of this, while making it a little different

flash-41-cover.jpg
Now, my questions are:

- If I'm making the mask rubber urethane, what should I use for the mold? Plaster, maybe?
- If I want some rubber urethane pieces on my costume (on the fabric) what can I use to put it on the fabric?
- I want to make the neck and head pieces separate urethane pieces for mobility, so where should I make the cutoff for that?

If anyone has the answers please let me know. Thx you guys!

I don't know enough about molding and casting to comment on how you should make your mask, so I will leave that for someone else.

Any time I am connecting something to a skin-tight suit, I always use snaps. They are affordable, easy to attach, and very low profile. Plus you can find a variety of types at any fabric or craft store. I advise getting the heavier duty type i.e. the ones that crimp onto the fabric.

If I were doing it, I would make the neck piece go up to chin and bottom of the skull. That would be where the neck and helmet meet.

I don't know enough about molding and casting to comment on how you should make your mask, so I will leave that for someone else.

Any time I am connecting something to a skin-tight suit, I always use snaps. They are affordable, easy to attach, and very low profile. Plus you can find a variety of types at any fabric or craft store. I advise getting the heavier duty type i.e. the ones that crimp onto the fabric.

If I were doing it, I would make the neck piece go up to chin and bottom of the skull. That would be where the neck and helmet meet.

Do you mind sending me an image of the "snaps" you're referring to?

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mind sending me an image of the "snaps" you're referring to?

Almost done with the Flash cowl sculpt! I'm using monster clay

IMG_1578.JPG

My original sculpt was too thin and the clay wasn't any good, which is really upsetting because I liked where it was going :(

IMG_1394.JPG

I'm going to make the neck-helmet cutoff line like the dark knight Batman cowl and neckpiece

I am so glad I found this process for the cowl! I'm building a suit of my own for SDCC, and that's the biggest piece that has been tripping me up in designs. That, and the boots. But I knew it wouldn't be complete without the cowl

I made a helmet out of 5mm foam.
I haven't figured out a good design for the neck piece tho. Right now we are using fabric attached to bottom of the helmet.

MarkIMG_20150710_212559.jpg

Instead of a black box (presumably using AA or AAA) could you retro fit a credit card sized portable battery pack? I bought one in the u.k from a shop called MenKind and it outputs 5v and is very flat that would fit in a wallet.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back