Custom Sonic Screwdriver build

Calufrax

Since the existing Doctor Who sonic props seem to be pretty well covered, and I don't have a mill to do complicated metal work, I thought I'd take a stab at creating an alternate take on the prop. I got a used lathe back in October and have been playing with it. I turned some old PVC, copper plumbing fittings and fiddle about with other found bits and came up with this:

10254-p1020724.jpg

Basically what I've wound up with is a sort of 10th/River hybrid with a coppery feel and 11th green 'emitter'. I have the sound chip and all from a dead C.O. around here somewhere, carefully boxed in a tin so I wouldn't lose it which of course I now can't find. Once I get that done this will have a slightly different slider, the one pictured is a goofed up piece of copper I used to just to make sure the thing will slide.

10255-p1020728.jpg

The acrylic tubing is a found object called a "WonderTube" which I noticed in a Walmart near where they have Magic Eight-Balls and that sort of stuff. It's very cheap, filled with colored sand, glitter and mineral oil which I cut off with a Dremel where there's an air bubble when held upright, drained and washed it out.

The copper 'spiral' is a just the bare ground wire found in most home flat wiring that I bent around a screwdriver into a spring-like shape. I plan to wire some bright green LEDs into the circuit so the head and tube will both light up eventually. The paint finish is some Krylon crackle paint I had. It's coppery base coat seemed to work well with the fittings, though the head part probably needs a repaint to match the body better. I'll probably turn an end bit that better matches the black-bulb bit on the 10th/River sonics, the bit there is just left over from an old pen light.

Going to try to lathe out some other bodies and bits and see what else I can come up with come the weekend. Anyway, thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Oh that's just brilliant, very nice work on you sonic, it's got that steam-punk ish feel to it I think.
You have made an excellent job of helixing that copper wire in the clear acrylic tube, thats a hard job to do.

Good use of every day materials I think. :thumbsup

hmmm.... I think you've just inspired me to take a stab and making my own steam punk'd sonic screwdriver....

Cheers I needed something to do while I wait on some other stuff to arrive

Paul

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back