Custom Power Guy/Power Girl costume

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by WhoKnows8701, Mar 28, 2012.

1. WhoKnows8701

WhoKnows8701 Active Member

So am looking to create this Version of Power Girl, Power Guy! It was first developed by the Gender Bent Justice League. I need this made in a month, and really have no idea how to start since I've never made a costume before. That's where I need all of your help.

I know the RPF forums is home to the best in costume production, so I figured what betted place to ask for advise.

What materials do you guys think I should use? Anything premade? I am not looking to make it exactly like this, but as close as possible.

So what do you guys think?
    Advise on the Shoulder guard? Cape? Gauntlets? Boots?

[​IMG]

2. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

wait there is a power guy?

pants look like a pair of white skinny boxers, leather strap looks like a cheap leather belt, shoulder armor some sculpting and painting, boots and gloves look bought, maybe dyed. cape is thick red fabric i guess, and the belt looks like a red belt cut to size, with the sculpted buckle. there probably is a buckle or velcro etc at the back

3. WhoKnows8701

No there isn't a power guy. They just took heroes and switched the gender. They made a Super Woman, Wonderman (Wonder woman) a guy version if power girl, ect.

4. WhoKnows8701

How would you recommend sculpting the shoulder guard?

5. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

An easy way would be to use foam. Check out familyman's tutorial on shoulder bells to see what I mean. Easy to make, and then you can just seal it with PVA/white glue/modpodge and then paint.

6. WhoKnows8701

Awesome thanks Kevin!

7. WhoKnows8701

I'm having a hard time finding gloves line the ones above? Anybody have any direction?

8. WhoKnows8701

Amybdoy got ideas on where I could get similar boots and gloves?

9. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

It's not every guy that could make that outfit look good, but *! That guy does!
    The Genderbent Justice League is a fun/interesting twist on the characters - curious to see how this turns out.

10. WhoKnows8701

I'll definitely keep it updated. The guy wearing this definetly has the body for it. He's Hispanic, dark skinned, but I think he will still make it look * good

11. manicsquirrel

manicsquirrel New Member

You can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a set of foam knee pads that exact shape for under $10, then seal it ModgePodge or something similar.

12. WhoKnows8701

Dang, I bought the Eva foam. Shoulda thought about foam knee pads

13. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...this is me.

That's my costume, and for anyone interested, I actually have the step by step posted, with pictures, captions, and details, on my facebook page at facebook.com/soloroboto

Assuming WhoKnows8701 is the same person who asked me where they could get boots and gloves, and didn't bother to look at the images I have publicly available either before or after asking, I'm finding it increasingly hard to be patient ...

Normally I'm all for helping people out with this stuff (it's why I post progress shots and tutorials), but the lack of interest in any real communication is starting to get to me.

He asked my girlfriend (Kit Quinn, who is our Super Ma'am) first, and she told him to ask me. I wasn't asked specific questions about how to make things, or for advice, or given any sense that this person had any idea at all what they were doing - just this:

"I am replicating the power guy costume uses for your genderbent justice league group. I am having a hard time finding suitable blue boots and gloves/gauntlets used for the power guy suit do you know where I could find some similar to the ones used?"

After responding that I'd made mine from scratch, and telling them I had photos on my business page, the conversation ended (I didn't provide a link - it's publicly visible on my personal page - and I expect people to figure out AT LEAST that much before I invest my time explaining things). He did send me a friend request, but I don't make a habit of accepting people of whom I have no knowledge, and no friends in common.

It's also a little... weird to be asked how to copy an original costume. Not offensive, just, strange. While I don't own the idea, I did originate it. It'd be nice to be shown the courtesy of at least asking how I felt before being asked how to copy it. You're free to do what you like, of course, but in this hobby courtesy is really the least we can ask regarding our work.

14. MrRoboto

For those interested (and willing to ask specific questions to which I'd happily give specific answers, if you're willing to spend 5 minutes to look at what I actually DID first, before looking for a full blown walk through), here's what I did:

The design was 100% a friend of mine's - you may know her online as Tallest Silver (google her). We modeled all the particular details off the art of Amanda Conner (who signed my shoulder pad at SDCC in 2011).

The gloves were tailor made from whole cloth, by me. The zippers are actually functional, and I can't get the gloves on without them (the gauntlet part is vinyl, the hands are a very, very lightly stretchable stretch vinyl). They're all sewn together - no separate gauntlets over gloves or any of that. I still don't know how they worked out so well - they were the first pair of gloves I made.

The boots are permanent vinyl boot covers over hacked up, remade combat boots, which were painted (the rubber soles are painted as well to get the correct gray). There are zippers down both sides to make that lined piece of the front - the buckles were weathered to match the color scheme, but are totally non-functional. Good luck finding those buckles, though! Round ones are apparently very, very hard to come by. I lucked out and eventually found them at a salvation army on 2 different pairs of women's shoes (after at least 7 different thrift stores over 3 weeks).

The shoulder is a cast urethane resin piece. I have a mold, and I'd be willing to sell pulls to those I felt comfortable with. I'm sure in retrospect there are many easier ways, but for the complex shape I wanted, I couldn't think of anything else at the time. The strap holding it on is a simple belt.

The cape is spandex. The method of getting it wrapped the way it is looks incredibly simple, but is a huge pain to get right without a model to fit it on (I've been careful to not undo mine since I got it right last year - took me nearly an hour of fiddling! Which just makes you feel really, really silly when done at a Jack In The Box).

The belt is actually red vinyl, hemmed and fit to shape, since I couldn't find a suitable red belt. The buckle is molded from Apoxie Sculpt around a solid metal ring for stability. Those rivets on the front are actually snaps, so the belt is attached AT the buckle in the front.

The shorts were a gift from a friend - no idea where they originally came from, but I had a heck of a time trying to find white spandex shorts before my friend handed me these.

Yes, I'm actually blond. I might... accent my color for the costume, though. But no, I'm not that tan.

15. MrRoboto

I really wish I'd seen that foam bell tutorial when I made this thing! Probably would have saved me COUNTLESS hours of work. Not that I'm not happy with what I got, but dang - hard to get easier/more effective than that!

And for those who're curious - Let me google that for you
    And hit images, if you want to see more of us (we had 20 some members this past WonderCon, up from 10 at SDCC and 7 at WonderCon in 2011.

16. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Nice to hear from the "original" so to speak. I love your expression in that second photo.
    As I said before I think the Genderbent Justice League is a neat idea. We've seen female versions of male characters done before (e.g. Laamberry's Iron Man) but I think the GBJLA is the first to do male versions of female characters this well.

Edit: after googling, I've just seen the "brofist" and "chestbump" pics with powergirl. Gotta say, not only are those hilarious, but you'd make an awesome hero duo!.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  17. MrRoboto

I'm sure we weren't the first, but we may have been one of the most visible. The ladies DO tend to do the genderswap thing more than dudes. I know I've never seen (or heard of) another Power Guy/Boy/Dude/Bro. But it really makes it obvious just how FEW women are in the JLA (finding costumes for the guys after the first 2 or 3 got HARD)!

LOL.

SO glad those are online! That's actually Tallest Silver, the girl who designed probably 90% of the costumes for the GBJLA. And being "Power People" with her at WonderCon in San Francisco last year was easily one of my favorite con experiences. SO MUCH brofist!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  18. thomdave

thomdave Active Member

"Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto!" :)

19. BirdDog

BirdDog Active Member

I heart mr roboto..!
    (but I'm not a robosexual..)

20. MrRoboto

Hey BirdDog - that Bender looks suspiciously like one I saw at Emerald City Comicon last weekend... That wasn't you guys in the costume contest, was it?

21. BirdDog

BirdDog Active Member

one in the same.. ish/yes!

22. mirsylus

mirsylus Active Member

glad Roboto was kind enuff to help out... i was a bit shocked when i saw someone tryin to copy his costume... hence his knowledge of the post.. =]

23. WhoKnows8701

I'm a little bothered by your immediate harshness with the whole situation robo, I wanted to do a similar costume to yours since I absolutely loved the costume as a whole. If you would have responded to my message without the blaytant harshness in your response, you would have figured out I was doing a version similar to yours, but with a Superman twist. I was unable to see any pictures of your process, and still cant, do to the fact that your Facebook profile blocks anyone from seeing any photos and such on your profile. I then friended you on Facebook, in hopes to continue the conversation with you, but then received a rude message in return, following a complete ignore of the request to be fb friends in order to see said progress photos, with little to no explanation why. It's sad that your girlfriend was more help in getting in contact with you. Her response to my messages was quick and concise with not a lick of negativity.

Since I couldn't find a direct way of communicating with you, and your lack of response, I ten continued to post questions on here in hopes to fnd someone kind enough to share some insightful info.

24. Kit Quinn

Kit Quinn New Member

Alllllrighty, I had to make an account just to respond to this. Your message to both of us was actually pretty assuming and therefore rude. I didn't want to deal with it, so I sent you over to Steven. You're lucky I saw your message at all because it was in both of our 'other' in boxes on facebook. I'm just better at checking that than Steven. (We were also at a con, so excuse him for not checking his other box in his facebook messages to respond in a timely manner)

Your message NEVER said anything about your costume being SIMILAR, or that it was Superman in theme. You wanted to know how to buy Steven's gloves/boots for your Power Guy costume...very presumptuous that he would be kind enough to give you any information on how to make HIS original costume.

And since you can't seem to do this yourself. Here's the link to his publicly visible page. Which is very easy to find (friend or not) on his personal page. https://www.facebook.com/SoloRoboto and because I have no faith that you will actually put in the effort to go through the albums to find the complete step by step on how to make this costume, here's that link too, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.228792083836272.54508.219775221404625&type=3

Not going to lie, I'm finding this pretty weird on many levels, and rude on a few more. The proper way to have gone about this would have been to message Steven asking if he would feel okay with you doing his original costume. Heck maybe even asking Tallest Silver as well, since this was her original design for a friend. Instead you sent a message assuming Steven would feel comfortable giving you advice on how to be him. I'm sure if you went with the first approach the response would have been more positive than it is now.

No one is going to stop you from doing this costume, but know that we all find it really weird and kind of creepy.

25. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really don't see how it is "weird" or "creepy" at all... People copy original costumes all the time. That's kind of what this forum is all about. You two are acting as if he is stalking you and being obsessive about it. He found a costume online and really liked the idea of it, and wants to make it. He isn't even trying to pass it off as his design. Why is this such a big deal?

26. MrRoboto

:confused I've honestly no idea how you'd get that impression from either of our responses.

I'm not upset that he wants to make the costume - far from it! It's the lack of communication, and the failure to so much as ask how I felt about being copied before asking how to do so. And while I hate repeating myself, I guess I have to say this again:

Here's the thing - it's not something from a film, a comic book, TV show, or the like. This was created by a friend and I. There's no necessity to crowd-source ideas. Unlike movie costumes, for example, there are well-documented images and advice on exactly how to make this - I posted them myself!

When this thread was pointed out to me, my initial impression was that, instead of asking me for further, specific advice, he had instead decided to go over my head, and ask other people how to reverse-engineer my work. I hope you can see how that would be irksome, and potentially insulting.

27. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Well, regardless of the original intent, this thread has brought two awesome costumers to the site, so yay for that, and a welcome to Kit Quinn.

28. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just wanted to chime in and say I love this concept for this costume!

29. MrRoboto

lol

If you look at my info, you'll see I've actually been registered for nearly a year and a half! I just don't post much...

I lurk around and read the helpful advice. Oh, how I lurk!