Custom latex rubber sheeting

acook59

Hey guys,

So i'm trying to find a way to make my own latex rubber sheets. I know you can buy some plain and patterned latex rubber of various thicknesses, but in order to make a kind of chest harness with pretty thick latex rubber, with a funky swirly pattern built into it i think i'm gonna have to make it myself. I've heard that you can make sheeting like this on pieces of glass or in silicone moulds but i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, information, instructionals, experience of doing this they could tell me about?

Thanks,
acook59

I haven't used latex, but I have done something similar with silicone rubber. It's pretty straight forward. Depending on how complex your swirl is, making the mold could be complicated.

I used 1/16" laser cut craft plywood to make my postives. I tried balsa at first, but it was too fragile and the grain was coarse. That made it hard to get the finish I needed.

I sanded the plywood pieces to get the contours I wanted and gave them several coats of gesso. I sanded the gesso to 400 grit. Then gave them a couple coats of acrylic auto body primer. I sanded that down to 1000 grit and polished with a finishing pad to get a near mirror finish.

I used wood glue to attach the positives to a piece of foam core and used a strip of foam core and hot-glue to build a box around it. The easy way to build the box is to cut the strip to the length of the perimeter of the box, then cut one side of paper at the corners and bend each to 90°. That way you only have to seal one vertical seam with hot glue.

If you use hot-glue to attach the positives to the foam core, make sure they are flush against the foam and the hot glue hasn't created any stand-off under the pieces. If they aren't attached flush to the foam, the rubber will spread under the positives and create a lip in your mold. That's a mess. That's why I used wood glue. It's easier to get flush than hot glue is.

IMG_20170601_100118.jpgIMG_20170601_110911.jpg

If you make your pattern as a negative, you're ready to pour your sheet. If your pattern is a positive, like mine, you'll have to make a negative mold. Just pour a mold rubber into the foam core box, wait for it to cure fully and tear the box away. Now you can pour your sheet in the negative mold.

I used Smooth-On Dragon Skin 20 for the mold and the casting. Silicone and latex will stick to themselves, so you have to use a mold release. For casting silicone on silicone, I use Mann's Ease Release 200. Spray a thin coat onto the mold and brush the entire surface lightly with a soft brush. That ensures a uniform coating. Then spray another light coat and let dry 30 minutes.

You do have to be careful about cure inhibition. Some substances will cause the silicone or latex to fail to vulcanize. The result is a slimy mess. Sulfur is hell on silicone, so don't use sulfur based clay for the pattern. Tin cured silicone can inhibit platinum cured and there many other common household substances that can cause inhibition.

I've never had a problem with wood glue, hot glue, foam core or primer. You should test your materials together to make sure they are compatible.

When mixing and pouring the rubber for your sheet you have to be careful to avoid trapping air that will cause bubbles in your casting. Don't whip the rubbers when mixing parts A and B. Just stir thoroughly and make sure to scrape the bottoms and sides.

If your using a thick rubber, you might have to degas the rubber after mixing. That requires a vacuum degassing chamber ($$$). Alternatively, you can use a thin rubber that won't trap air. Dragon Skin NV (no vacuum) would work for that.

To pour, you want your mold to be level. That will ensure the casting has a uniform thickness. My work bench is slightly tilted so I put the mold on a board and use a couple shims to level it.

Slowly pour the rubber from as high as you can manage. The stream should narrow down to almost needle fine before it hits the mold. This helps force out any remaining air. Pour the rubber into a corner of the mold and let it flow around and over the pattern. This again helps minimize trapped air.

As the rubber cures, small bubbles might rise to the surface. That might not be a problem, since this will be the back of the sheet. If you need the back to be smooth, gently blow on the bubbles with a hair dryer or a heat gun set to low. Don't use high heat or air flow. Just enough to pop the bubbles before the rubber cures.

IMG_20170601_134150.jpgIMG_20170602_070456.jpg

My pieces were small, but they came out great. Just had to trim a little bit of flashing off them. I've played around with some bigger sheets. The technique seems to scale well.

Last edited:
It's not something i want to mould like a lightning bolt, i want to make a sheet of rubber "fabric" that has swirls in it. I've seen it elsewhere but it's super expensive.

It's not something i want to mould like a lightning bolt, i want to make a sheet of rubber "fabric" that has swirls in it. I've seen it elsewhere but it's super expensive.

Could you post a picture of it? I think the same technique would work for a larger sheet. The bolts are only 1/8" thick. Making a larger sheet would just require a bigger positive and box.

1fdsfsdfsdfdsfds.PNG

Here you go

- - - Updated - - -

I want it to be relatively thick tho, around 3mm, this is prolly 0.5mm in the picture and i want it to be opaque. I've searched high and low for how to cast latex rubber fabric that's 3mm thick or so, but i cannot find any information for doing it on a small scale

I want it to be relatively thick tho, around 3mm, this is prolly 0.5mm in the picture and i want it to be opaque. I've searched high and low for how to cast latex rubber fabric that's 3mm thick or so, but i cannot find any information for doing it on a small scale

When you say latex rubber fabric, do you mean it's a fabric permeated with latex or just that it's a latex sheet? I've never done anything with latex permeated fabric, so I can't help you there.

There's a whole sub-culture of people who make mermaid tails out of latex. I stumbled onto them while trying to figure out how to do my lightening bolts. You might get some ideas there. Here's one tutorial that's fairly detailed. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Latex-Mermaid-Tail/ There are also a bunch of videos.

Are the black and white areas just color or are they textured? If they are just color, you could cast the blue as a 3mm sheet as I suggested above. Wait for it to partially cure. If latex is like silicone, it should be be just tacky. Then use a brush to add the white smears and a squirt bottle to add the black lines. It will probably take some practice to get to the look right. If you use small test pieces, it shouldn't be too expensive to experiment.

If there's more texture on the piece, use a clay bed as shown in the mermaid tutorial. Carve the reverse of your pattern into the clay, then add the white and black latex into the carved out areas in the clay. It looks like the white is on top of the black, so do the white layer first. Let it partially cure, then add the blue layer.

Last edited:
Another idea, if the white and black areas are just color paint them onto the bottom of a 3mm thick frame lined with wax paper. After they partially cure, pour the blue on top of that.

You'll have to paint the white and black in reverse, just like if you were using the clay method above.

That way you won't get any raised texture in the white and black areas.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back