Custom Grapple Gun

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So my latest obsession has delt with grappling hooks. Every action figure had one when I was growing up, but few real ones exist in our world. My first focus was creating a "real" grappling hook on a rope. A "throwing" grapple. That build can be found here. http://www.therpf.com/f9/grappling-hook-build-184012/

One of the first things people said to me upon seeing that grapple was "Now you need a gun to shoot one" .... challenge accepted. I had several mandatories for this build:
• All-metal, if possible.
• Self-retracting hook and line
• Look "practical" as if it could function
• Built 90% from found items.

Here's the results. It's really satisfying. It's built almost entirely from found items. Hacksaw frame, bike parts, plumbing parts, PVC tube, music stand, track light parts. The hacksaw frame as the body of the gun was my starting point. I wanted something that didn't look like a conventional gun. I also wanted something that would look like you could hold onto the grip and be pulled upward. The real AH-HA moment was how to do the retracting line. Installed in the body is one of those retracting key lines you get at the hardware store. It keeps the hook snug in the barrel of the gun, but you can pull the hook out a couple feet, and it retracts back perfectly. It doesn't shoot .... maybe next build.

Here's also a couple pics of the larger "throwing" grapple.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 227
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 283
  • gh2.jpg
    gh2.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 157
  • gh1.jpg
    gh1.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Another great prop... Kind of reminds me of Rorschach's gun.

Didn't the Mythbuster's have a show on a working grapple gun with climbing function?
Seem to remember theirs worked too well at climbing and they forgot a reverse function to get back down.

I love your work valor. I lately have grown the same obsession with grappling hooks. Do you think you would make one that shoots soon. If not any suggestions on how I should make one.

Ahem there's the questions, right? No, I haven't pursued that. There's a lot to consider with such a build.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back