Custom finished ancient bio

hez1

Thought I'd post up some WIP shots on my ancient bio that I got in trade from Casey. People have been kind enough to say they enjoy looking at some of my weird and wacky finishes, so this ones for you guys...

Here's what I did initially. Pretty bog standard Ancient finish, with some added rust accents just because.

IMG_2420.jpg.gif

IMG_2421.jpg.gif

IMG_2422.jpg.gif

So then after looking at it, and holding it up against my bio wall to see how it would look and where the best place for it would be, I kind of thought there was too many silver bios. I mean P1, Gort, Scar, Celtic, even the Wolf has significant silver highlighting, even if it's a lot darker overall. So I decided to go completely custom. First thing I did; give it a coat of metal paint. This is a paint with actual metal particles in it that dries so tough and metal-like that it can be polished to a shine if that's what you want. However, that's not what I was looking for. This is Bronze, btw...

IMG_2426.jpg.gif

Once this dried (24 hours to cure fully, a nightmare if you're not the most patient. I'm not) I started laying the patinas on it. Oh yes, there's enough metal in there that it'll take a patina. First on was a general antiquing patina to dull the bronze back to a more natural brown color than the almost gold it was. No pics of this bit unfortunately. Then I took a 2 part mixed patina and slathered it on there. It leaves a black/green look to it, with some random rust as well for good measure. The general idea was to make it an Ancient in look as well as name. There's been a fair bit of scrubbing off bits that I didn't like and reapplying, but here's where it's at now. It will be staying this way until my new supplies arrive with some nice new patinas later this week.

IMG_2433.jpg.gif

IMG_2444.jpg.gif

IMG_2443.jpg.gif

IMG_2420.jpg.gif

IMG_2421.jpg.gif

IMG_2422.jpg.gif

IMG_2426.jpg.gif

IMG_2433.jpg.gif

IMG_2444.jpg.gif

IMG_2443.jpg.gif

Hows that not done? The finish is great. Maybe add a littl copper-green, water stained lenses and half working lasers and you have a theme. Something that took on Poseidon and lost.

Looks awesome Paul ..I love working with these antiquing solutions ...you never quite know what youre gonna get. Cant wait to see what else you do to it

Hey paul, yet again you have out did yourself, a 100% better and now it looks like the Ancient bio it's supposed to be!! (Battle Worn).....

looks awesome Paul, you must be the master of your so called weird and whacky paint ups

and i for one think thats cool :unsure:

Thanks folks! It's nice to do something totally original now and again. Hopefully my new stuff should come today and I can get it finished, though there's not a lot more to do. I like the flickering laser idea, anyone know how to do something like that? I'm a complete electronics dunce, so while I can wire things up just fine, anything past the most basic circuitry is beyond me.

So, I ended up having to clear coat the whole thing with permalac, because the patina was literally rubbing off on my hands, and it completely ruined it. All the vibrancy of the colors has been completely destroyed by the clear coat, and I expected a little dulling to some degree, but it literally wiped out the blues and greens. It's just brown now. If I'd wanted a brown bio I would have just ******* painted it brown. I'm going to have to see if I can scrub off the clear coat in places and try again. Or I might just sell it. Anyone want it? I am super pissed off about this, it looked really good. Now I just feel like it looks like someone's taken a **** over it.

IMG_2450.jpg.gif

IMG_2451.jpg.gif

IMG_2452.jpg.gif

IMG_2450.jpg.gif

IMG_2451.jpg.gif

IMG_2452.jpg.gif

Dont be so harsh on yourself Paul, its still head and shoulders a better paint up than 95% of other bios out there.

Don't beat yourself up Paul. Even though it's not as how you wanted it, it still look's lethal mate. Plus it's unique enough that when it's on your wall it'll easily jump out at you

Hey Hez, you're probably kill me for saying this but... it looks f$$kin awesome!!
It looks a lot like some kind of dark-iron or similar metal. Absolutely oozing dark and forbidding.
Imagine a whole suit of armour looking like this. Sinister.

Of course if you're willing to sell it, I've always wanted an Ancient... but I'm completely strapped for cash... bummer. ;)

IMG_2452.jpg.gif

Paul, I agree with everyone else, that Bio is totally awesome, I've never even seen that design...even though it may not look how you imagined it it still came out looking GREAT...id definitly take that thing off your hands if I could. When I start painting my Bio & armor I know who to come to for tips

Chris

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. That said, I still hate it. It's currently sitting in my laundry room so I don't have to look at it. The flash in the pics highlighted a few colors, in person it's duller than you see it here. I did rework it briefly to add some greens to it, but I'm still unhappy with it. If I haven't sold it in a few days it's getting stripped and completely redone.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back