CUSTOM DESIGN Bounty Hunter/Desert Dweller costume

kristen jones

Master Member
Inspired by some things I saw in the Visual Dictionary for TFA, along with a persistent desire to build a denizen character of my own design, I have come up with this concept and have been building it slowly over the course of the last year.

My character is a desert dweller... the sort you might find lurking in a cantina or around Niima outpost. I envision this as a human character who hides behind a subterfuge of alien technology, sort of like Leia did with Boushh, or Enfys Nest--in that i can remove my helmet and wear the costume with my face exposed if I wish, but the primary intent of the outfit is to conceal the wearer's identity and species.

I took initial inspiration for the overall look from a character called Sarco Plank, who was a background character in TFA. I spotted him in the Visual Dictionary, and was taken by the striking maroon robes and the almost buglike look of his head.

PboYR0p.jpg

Working from this inspiration, I started in on a wearable helmet that i thought evoked the look of Sarco Plank's, but with my own flavour. I started with 4 smoked face shields from MSA civilian gas masks, cut them and scratched their surfaces with a dremel and glued them together to form the "face" of my helmet, and then built the shell from scraps of saddle hide that i had lying around. I designed it rather like a fencing helmet, and then adorned it with various greeblies that i found lying about in the Star Wars time-honoured tradition:

bDxmXiX.jpg

EOvtnMW.jpg

Next, I decided to work on a blaster rifle concept for this character, wanting it to be sort of a cross between an e-11 and a tusken raider rifle. This was my rough concept, made from an old Kodiak pump action paintball gun, some stunt pegs from my son's bicycle, an old scope, a thread tree from my sewing machine and a hunk of 2x6 lumber :p

8BhE1xb.jpg

I refined the pair of them, and landed with this:

CaEbo6K.jpg

Next, I thought about what my character would wear. I knew that liked the long crimson robe look, and I knew that i wanted a sort of cowl or hood to partially cover the helmet. But I didn't yet have a clear vision for what i wanted, so i turned instead to figuring out what sort of ammo rig I might have. I drew inspiration again from the tusken raider, as well as Boba Fett's ammo belt, and initially thought to use a Swedish Mauser ammo belt around my waist, with a Sam Browne style strap across my shoulder, rather like The Mandalorian:

VANMqN4.jpg

pDVs7Jp.jpg

After assembling and trying in on however, I decided the Mauser bandoleer made me look too bulky in the center, so I went with this instead:

gFJ9lz4.jpg

xfe9BT4.jpg

TY1OzV4.jpg

I also wanted a sidearm, so i found an old pellet pistol and designed an optic for it, and incorporated a drop holster for it:

rlRKOhR.jpg

Here's a look at the pistol out of the holster. it still needs some refining and weathering, but it's a start:

LuucZMO.jpg

VTKPtiC.jpg

Having gotten those items mostly worked out, i went back to thinking about the soft parts. still stuck on the crimson robe idea, i got some coarse hand woven natural fabric and constructed a simple surcoat not unlike Kylo Ren's. I made a tube cowl as well which would cover the back of the helmet and my shoulders, and concealed a magnet in the top to keep it attached to the helmet. I thought sleeves of a different sort would look cool, and thought about possibly a flight jacket similar to Poe/Finn's from TFA. But as a placeholder I put a leather moto jacket on underneath to see what it looked like. this was my first try on of everything together:

XqQuyYC.jpg

sbAyy42.jpg

rkhu9BC.jpg

VqNOeqZ.jpg

I was happy with the overall concept, but I wanted different sleeves and different gloves for sure, and I thought that it was too obvious that i was a human female because the surcoat doesn't hide my bust well enough and my shoulders seemed too small. So I decided to work in some armour, taking a hip plate from Din Djarin's beskar armour and scaling it way up for a chest plate and taking his shoulder pauldrons and scaling them down a bit. They still need to be painted and weathered, but the concept seems to work for masquerading my identity better. I also whipped up some quilted linen sleeves with a flight jacket stripe down the outside and left fraying edges to add visual interest. i wanted something to define the waist and give the ammo belt something to sit on, so i added a sash made from one of my Rey costumes:

YXeXag7.jpg

U2zVGrw.jpg

This is where I currently sit with the project. I'm working on some simple wrist vambraces (I'm thinking of possibly using a pair of Cara Dune's, or something similar) and i still have a long way to go painting and weathering the armour to my liking. once I have those done I'll post updates, and I'll get to weathering the robe as well.

So far I'm pretty excited about this, and would love some feedback and suggestions from you all.

Last edited:
Wow, that look stunning. It screams 'desert nomad' and very much evokes a western gunslinger or bounty hunter but with a Star Wars flavor. No suggestions from me, outstanding costume so far.

Edit: survival pack. Maybe needs a small survival backpack that looks like it's filled with food/supplies for long days/nights in the dessert.

I have been thinking about that, too. i have long thought the back was too plain, so i believe your survival pack idea is a very good one. I absolutely love my Rey scavenger backpack, so perhaps i'll design something similar for this, though I'd want it to be a bit more technical looking than the Rey backpack.

FANTASTIC suggestion... thank you!

Absolutely love this. Great work and top quality craftsmanship! It truly looks like you could be a background character on the Mando in a seedy cantina. Helmet and blaster are top notch. Only suggestion would be a few more items your belt maybe? Perhaps a comlink, or vibroblade somewhere. I would love to do this one day! Keep up the great work :)

If I didn't know any better I could swear this was directly from the movies. Phenomenal design and look. I can't wait to see the finished product. I've always toyed with the idea of creating an original SW character like this and seeing this certainly inspires me to try my hand at it one day. Just an incredibly awesome looking costume!!

What kind of course weave natural fabric did you use? It's got a wonderful texture!

Inspired by some things I saw in the Visual Dictionary for TFA, along with a persistent desire to build a denizen character of my own design, I have come up with this concept and have been building it slowly over the course of the last year.

My character is a desert dweller... the sort you might find lurking in a cantina or around Niima outpost. I envision this as a human character who hides behind a subterfuge of alien technology, sort of like Leia did with Boushh, or Enfys Nest--in that i can remove my helmet and wear the costume with my face exposed if I wish, but the primary intent of the outfit is to conceal the wearer's identity and species.

I took initial inspiration for the overall look from a character called Sarco Plank, who was a background character in TFA. I spotted him in the Visual Dictionary, and was taken by the striking maroon robes and the almost buglike look of his head.

View attachment 1330335

Working from this inspiration, I started in on a wearable helmet that i thought evoked the look of Sarco Plank's, but with my own flavour. I started with 4 smoked face shields from MSA civilian gas masks, cut them and scratched their surfaces with a dremel and glued them together to form the "face" of my helmet, and then built the shell from scraps of saddle hide that i had lying around. I designed it rather like a fencing helmet, and then adorned it with various greeblies that i found lying about in the Star Wars time-honoured tradition:

View attachment 1330323

View attachment 1330324

Next, I decided to work on a blaster rifle concept for this character, wanting it to be sort of a cross between an e-11 and a tusken raider rifle. This was my rough concept, made from an old Kodiak pump action paintball gun, some stunt pegs from my son's bicycle, an old scope, a thread tree from my sewing machine and a hunk of 2x6 lumber :p

View attachment 1330325

I refined the pair of them, and landed with this:

View attachment 1330326

Next, I thought about what my character would wear. I knew that liked the long crimson robe look, and I knew that i wanted a sort of cowl or hood to partially cover the helmet. But I didn't yet have a clear vision for what i wanted, so i turned instead to figuring out what sort of ammo rig I might have. I drew inspiration again from the tusken raider, as well as Boba Fett's ammo belt, and initially thought to use a Swedish Mauser ammo belt around my waist, with a Sam Browne style strap across my shoulder, rather like The Mandalorian:

View attachment 1330327

View attachment 1330328

After assembling and trying in on however, I decided the Mauser bandoleer made me look too bulky in the center, so I went with this instead:

View attachment 1330329

View attachment 1330330

View attachment 1330331

I also wanted a sidearm, so i found an old pellet pistol and designed an optic for it, and incorporated a drop holster for it:

View attachment 1330332

Here's a look at the pistol out of the holster. it still needs some refining and weathering, but it's a start:

View attachment 1330333

View attachment 1330334

Having gotten those items mostly worked out, i went back to thinking about the soft parts. still stuck on the crimson robe idea, i got some coarse hand woven natural fabric and constructed a simple surcoat not unlike Kylo Ren's. I made a tube cowl as well which would cover the back of the helmet and my shoulders, and concealed a magnet in the top to keep it attached to the helmet. I thought sleeves of a different sort would look cool, and thought about possibly a flight jacket similar to Poe/Finn's from TFA. But as a placeholder I put a leather moto jacket on underneath to see what it looked like. this was my first try on of everything together:

View attachment 1330317

View attachment 1330318

View attachment 1330319

View attachment 1330320

I was happy with the overall concept, but I wanted different sleeves and different gloves for sure, and I thought that it was too obvious that i was a human female because the surcoat doesn't hide my bust well enough and my shoulders seemed too small. So I decided to work in some armour, taking a hip plate from Din Djarin's beskar armour and scaling it way up for a chest plate and taking his shoulder pauldrons and scaling them down a bit. They still need to be painted and weathered, but the concept seems to work for masquerading my identity better. I also whipped up some quilted linen sleeves with a flight jacket stripe down the outside and left fraying edges to add visual interest. i wanted something to define the waist and give the ammo belt something to sit on, so i added a sash made from one of my Rey costumes:

View attachment 1330321

View attachment 1330322

This is where I currently sit with the project. I'm working on some simple wrist vambraces (I'm thinking of possibly using a pair of Cara Dune's, or something similar) and i still have a long way to go painting and weathering the armour to my liking. once I have those done I'll post updates, and I'll get to weathering the robe as well.

So far I'm pretty excited about this, and would love some feedback and suggestions from you all.
This

Thanks so much, all!

Sluis Van Shipyards... LOL... fortunately he's outgrown that bike, so he didn't need them :p

jusdrewit... I agree. i do want some more greebs on the belt, especially on the side where the satchel is. it's too plain. I also want to design a survival backpack, as suggested by James Kenobi 1138

TazMan2000...thanks! I knew this would be the place where people would appreciate it :)

Psab keel... thank you so much! I can't wait to see what you come up with. The fabric came from Dharma Trading:

It comes in a natural off white, and I dyed it with 2 bottles of RIT scarlet and one bottle of RIT dark brown. It faded nicely with successive washes, and the ends fray wonderfully. I use a lighter weight version of the same fabric to make my scavenger Rey headwraps.

Bbabylonia20 ... me, too! I buy all of the visual dictionaries and mine them for ideas. SOOO much inspiration!

Working on a concept for the Survival Pack. I whipped up a few sketches of what I'm thinking. It'll be made from a very worn hunk of leather, with green webbing and leather straps to match my ammo rig, as well as a matching buckle to fasten the flap down.

At the top, under the "flap" will be a black cylinder that presumably a bed roll would store into. On the right side will be a water storage cylinder, and on the left a pair of food canisters. they will be fastened through loops of either leather or webbing.

On the front of the pack, in the lower right corner will be a steel rectangular plate with snap fingers on it to hold 'heat sticks" for starting fires. There will be 5 spaces for these sticks to snap on.

The back of the pack will have either loops or clips situated diagonally so that they can connect to the diagonal shoulder strap of my ammo rig.

I'm thinking the shape of the pack will be trapezoidal: wider at the top than at the bottom, about 16" tall and about 13" wide...just big enough to sit on the back without being unwieldy.

oXG461E.jpg

kMC7bd8.jpg

Okie... took the weekend to whip up a prototype of what i want the pack to be. I took the above sketches home and patterned it onto some leather, cut it out and stitched it together. I added some greeblies to various parts of it, and added some preliminary weathering to the whole thing.

The white PVC pipe at the top is just a placeholder...I have designed some custom endcaps for it, and the whole thing will be black and weathered steel when I'm done. i have also designed a water canister for the right side and a pair of food cylinders for the left side. Once those are printed I'll finish them up and add them. Pretty happy with it so far.

I'll see if I can get a few pics of it on with the whole costume tonight.

Thoughts?

SbyJvQe.jpg

1YE9GIz.jpg

JBu1FHH.jpg

Thanks Psab! I really enjoyed throwing this backpack together, and I think it feels like it always needed to be there. I'm excited to get the remaining canisters printed and installed and get some shots of it on the costume. i tried it on last night and I think i got the scale perfect.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back