HMSwolfe’s 3D Printed Custom Blasters thread - Free Files

HMSwolfe

Master Member
Long time lurker, first time poster. I know custom work might not attract the replica crowd, but I figured I’d get some input nonetheless. I’m in the planning stages of a new prop. I saw a custom blaster on the forum a week or so ago that piqued my interest. I can’t remember where it came from, but I’ll include a picture.

BA2D3637-C744-4516-9EAD-97AC5E989EB0.jpeg

I’ve been interested in fabricating something like it, so using some images from Google and some Photoshop, I’ve got something to work off of.

FDE22CFF-C78A-40F6-A413-CA31118FC722.jpeg

I’ve got part of a Thompson, a Sten, an MP-41, a DP-27, and a Hensoldt scope. I’m going to be modeling the complex parts for 3D printing and fabricating what I can out of PVC pipe and the like.

Any input? Suggestions? Know any good/interesting greeblies or alternatives to any part here?

Last edited:
Love the design you came up with!

I'm no expert in greeblies, but I'd say your design looks great how you designed it. I'd love to see your progress on this build!

It definitely has the Smuggler aesthetic!

I like your design. It looks like it’s from the Star Wars universe yet original looking from anything seen yet. It stays away from my pet peeves.

My pet peeves for custom blasters:
-The use of common blaster parts found/machined. I realize a lot of custom projects start because people have extra blaster parts laying around.
-Too many greebles. It think they should be used wisely like hide trademarks. Also they should be difficult to recognize if they are a found item.
-Weathering. Do not over-weather and insure all parts of the blaster has consistent weathering. So many times I’ve seen a weathered blaster and grips that look new.

Last edited:
Looking good! Kind of looks like something that belongs in the prequels. (And I mean that as a good thing – they had amazing production design.)

If I may suggest, try designing it to fit a real Thompson grip. You can get them for fairly cheap here:

Thompson M1A1 Pistol Grip, *Good*

(Under $20, depending on the condition.)

Looking good! Kind of looks like something that belongs in the prequels. (And I mean that as a good thing – they had amazing production design.)

If I may suggest, try designing it to fit a real Thompson grip. You can get them for fairly cheap here:

Thompson M1A1 Pistol Grip, *Good*

(Under $20, depending on the condition.)

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I would need to get some digital calipers and the grip before printing the model, to make sure everything fit correctly.

As far as the model goes, it's finished for the moment. There are a few details I might want to change or add, but I'm not quite sure how to achieve them in Fusion yet, like knurled knobs for the scope and such. But, I'll have a while before I can print, so I've got time to change things. The place where I've done 3D prints before has a "no firearms" policy, including nonfunctional replicas, so I have to save up for my own printer.

LR-14_2019-Apr-19_03-05-25AM-000_CustomizedView45417121012_png.png

EDIT: Anybody have suggestions for a faux blued-steel effect? I know it’s a little earlier in the process to think about paint, but still.

Last edited:
I don’t know if anyone is still following this thread, but I decided, while I like the original design, I’d like to see more of a holdout or snub-nose blaster, so I started from the ground up and came up with this. (It also helps that I’ve gotten a lot more familiar with the software)
F3E7850A-72CE-4B2D-84FE-FE9A98CF1801.jpeg

It’s still a work in progress.

Cool!

I like the bird's head style grip!

I do still like the original design, as well! I'd like to see that one with the barrel cut short, making the muzzle look more like the Rexim, and the front scope bell removed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back