Curse of Star Wars strikes again as Luke Skywalker actor Mark Hamill nearly dies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by gunnerk19, Sep 13, 2015.

1. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member

2. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Still doing his own stunts, that Hamill is a beast!

Also, how cool is it for a guy like Mark Hamill, Luke Skywalker and the Joker, to have his face on a stamp!?

3. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What "Curse of Star Wars"?! Like there is some huge list of deaths that have occurred during the filming of all 7 movies?! Seriously WHAT Curse? The only curse I ever heard of is the burden the actors carry of never having a normal life again being known for Star Wars. Harrison Ford's accident was on set of 7, but by no stretch would you title this a curse. That's just a flipping dangerous location. Period.

4. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty soon he will be using Yodas Cane! :D

5. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow! so glad he is alright. special thanks to the tour guides quick reaction and catching him

6. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was thinking the exact same thing! Just another case of sensationalism by the media. :facepalm

Bryancd likes this.
  7. Falk

Falk Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mark Hamill had a near fatal car accident between filming of Star Wars and Empire, with facial surgery necessary (thus the Wampa attack scenes).

8. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone who refers to Harrison Ford's character as "Hans Solo" losses all credibility in my book.

JoMamma_Smurf, Riceball and Dart like this.
  9. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Click bait!!!!

Dart and robn1 like this.
  10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Unless he was almost killed by a sandstorm in Tunisia, this is not the curse you're looking for.

Move along. Move along.

Riceball likes this.
  11. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

I've heard this my whole life but then I heard it was just a myth. I dont know what to believe :confused

12. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Yeah, its legit, they needed a reason why his face looked different, so wampa fist to the face did the trick.

13. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Are we sure that shouldn't be called the Corvette Summer curse?

In seriousness, I think the bit about "They added the wampa stuff to cover up his scars" is nonsense. Again, look at pictures from Corvette Summer, which came out in '78 and was filmed much sooner after the accident than ESB. What don't you see? Right. Scars. Now some of that could be makeup covering it, but he doesn't have major scars today, either, so I'm inclined to think that the whole legend about this is nonsense. Also, they show his face perfectly clearly before the wampa attack, so it's not like the attack explains it. I remember seeing the film for the first time as a little kid and thinking "why does Luke look different?" It never really made sense to me, and the wampa attack didn't explain it either.

To me, it looks like he smashed his nose up badly, lost the tip of it and a little of the bridge...and that's about it. Otherwise, it's the same face he always had. It's like the way people think Jennifer Grey looked TOTALLY DIFFERENT after she had what's actually a very VERY minor nose job.

Riceball, Treadwell and harrisonp like this.
  14. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I recall that being refuted, in fact. By whom I don't recall, so take that for what it's worth.

15. glunark

glunark Sr Member

You can believe or not believe what you want, its no skin off my nose.

Axlotl and Solo4114 like this.
  16. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Rinzler addressed it pretty thoroughly in his Making of ESB tome. The wampa stuff was already planned before the accident. He had no scars that needed to be justified (indeed, his face was just fine for the pre-wampa scenes, and scars don't heal fast enough for him to have been scar-free for the rest of principle photography if they'd been present). So the legend is half true.

Still not a curse, though.

--Jonah

Solo4114 and Falk like this.
  17. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I could swear I read an interview with Mark, maybe in Starlog, where he said the accident was nowhere near as bad as reported.

18. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Okay, partially right on all counts. *heh* Mark had his accident in January of '77 on his way to shoot pickups for Star Wars. George had early notes and his first treatment for ESB (mid-to-late-'77) have Luke crash or get whacked in the face to explain scars that nay or may not be there by the time filming commenced. Regarding the accident (in Rinzler's Making of ESB):

He wallowed in self-pity for a bit, but eventually came back around. As he healed the differences became minor, and he and George felt they were easily explained by post-adolescent refinement plus several years fighting for the Rebellion and probably occasionally being injured. In other words, Luke grew up between films, and I think this actually helped George take that tack. Still, considering principle photography didn't start for another two years (and change), he had plenty of time to heal.

--Jonah

19. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

Think about how many actors that have starred in a Star Wars film have since died... gotta be at least.. I dunno, a couple? Oh, sure they all say "natural causes", but it really? IS IT REALLY?!?

Axlotl, Riceball and Reelo like this.
  20. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Wait. Are we talking about a "Star Wars Curse" or a "Mark Hamill Curse"?

Riceball likes this.
  21. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Remember, that the curse continued during the filming of Empire, when Mark broke his finger while jumping away from the soon to be crushed Snowspeeder.

22. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Do we actually have a cite for the Hamill quote about his ear? I find that bit pretty hard to believe. First, his ears have never looked jacked up, so where'd they take the cartilage from? Second, your ears aren't exactly huge, so, how much cartilage would they have been able to take, even? I mean, maybe they grafted a little bit of cartilage to make it grow into something, but I still find that hard to believe.

It's a moot point, though. If you look at his face in Corvette Summer, it looks just like his face before, only with his nose a little different.

23. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Let's see, most recently there's Christopher Lee, Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing have passed but both of them were old as it was and died, as far as I know, from natural causes. To the best of my knowledge, no major Star Wars actor has dies pre-maturely from either disease or tragic accident; but I can't say the same thing about their careers though.

24. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bunk:

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 12.44.01 PM.png

Though, you can still slip and almost die without actually injuring yourself :p

25. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

For the record, I think Jennifer Grey does look totally different post-nose-job :D

26. glunark

glunark Sr Member

I still can't believe shes married to Agent Coulson.

27. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I think she looked better before. Now she looks like just another post-op Hollywood broad.

DL 44 Blaster likes this.
  28. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

29. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Mark just tweeted that the entire story is false.

30. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

^the mountain story, he means. Not the Guinness. ;)