Current going rate for original demilled Sterling SMG

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

I'm looking for the current going rate for a Sterling SMG which has been deactivated and converted to an E11? It comes with the original deactivated certificate and resin scope and counter, which are great quality. Everything can be removed to restore to the original state.

Thankyou.

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Depending on your state, what is considered deactivated?

Here in mass we need the barrel filled with cement and welded shut. Fire pin removed and the hole welded.. it’s a mess, Which kind of makes reversing impossible

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
The regulations for these things are so iffy that I wouldn't buy one in the U.S. right now and I'm afraid to even let anyone see the one I have. I've tried emailing the ATF and they give you so many separate answers that it seems like they do that so they can say anything is illegal if they want it to be. There should be an exact statute as to what exactly a demilled "machinegun" is.

Eventually I'm going to weld my barrel and anything else I can think of so it would at least be obvious it's not trying to be a functioning gun.

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sorry guys, forgot this.

It's deactivated but it still cocks back. I think the barrell has been welded too. I do have the certificate for it.

jkno

Master Member
Sorry guys, forgot this.

It's deactivated but it still cocks back. I think the barrell has been welded too. I do have the certificate for it.
Is it in US, UK or EU? There are different laws in all these locations. For example a Sterling from UK or Germany cannot be sold in US, as the deactivation process is different.

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am based in the UK. I know I can't really sell it to someone abroad, but can I still sell it to someone in the UK? I've seen one up for sale for £1800, I never knew hey had sky rocketed that much!

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just to add that i think I will be registering it this week which I think is law now. However in the attached screenshot it says that I don't need to as mine was before deactivated before 2016. However, it says that it I sell it on then it has to be transferred to a new owner?

Am I reading that right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211218-180329_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211218-180329_Samsung Internet.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 13

CWOODREPLICAS

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just to add that i think I will be registering it this week which I think is law now. However in the attached screenshot it says that I don't need to as mine was before deactivated before 2016. However, it says that it I sell it on then it has to be transferred to a new owner?

Am I reading that right?
You won't be able to legally sell it on without it being re-deactivated to new spec. Best thing to do if you need to sell it is to sell it to a trader with the correct licences.

Am I reading that right?

I'm in Canada, so I'm not even going to guess at the actual answer here. I will say that if someone came into the courts library where I used to work, and asked this question, our answer would have included "but you should really talk to a lawyer about this."

In my opinion, you should really talk to a lawyer about this before you try to sell it.

BlandoCalrssian

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Price is a little hard to pin down on these since they’re getting harder and harder to find. It really depends on if you feel the price is worth it. I bought mine earlier this year for the equivalent of roughly 1200 usd. Did I overpay? Quite possibly, but I felt the expense was worth it as it was probably the only chance I’d get to own one. The guts have been welded solid but the exterior is all original, never sliced apart like so many out there. And really, that price can be considered cheap compared to what people now pay for certain parts of the Obi-wan saber. Don’t regret it a bit and it’s now the centrepiece of my Star Wars collection.

CWOODREPLICAS

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Am I reading that right?

Easy to read summary. Long story short - legal to currently own by yourself, selling to anyone would be illegal as it’s old spec - selling to a correctly licenced person would be legal. Plenty of online stores who will take it off your hands at a reasonable price. They will only be able to re-sell it by having it re-deactivated to the new spec.

GrenadeKing

Sr Member
The regulations for these things are so iffy that I wouldn't buy one in the U.S. right now and I'm afraid to even let anyone see the one I have. I've tried emailing the ATF and they give you so many separate answers that it seems like they do that so they can say anything is illegal if they want it to be. There should be an exact statute as to what exactly a demilled "machinegun" is.

Eventually I'm going to weld my barrel and anything else I can think of so it would at least be obvious it's not trying to be a functioning gun.
Because in the eyes of the ATF the only demilitarized machine gun is one that's torch cut through certain sections rendering it permanently inoperable and for all intents and purposes, destroyed. It's no longer a gun to them, it's a pile of scrap. Unless you bought it from Shady Phil in the gunshow parking lot, it's been demiled and is no longer a machine gun, or any kind of gun to them.

If you use the scrap to construct a non-firearm, they don't care.

If you use that scrap to make a semi-auto clone, they have a list of rules that you must follow.

If you don't follow those rules or use that scrap to make a full auto sterling, they'll blow your door in half at 3AM and take you on a 10 year special vacation.

jkno

Master Member
The new spec usually sucks, as they will most likely weld more parts ad have them fixed and not movable anymore. The new (deac.) gun laws are getting weirder every year.

CWOODREPLICAS

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.