Cura settings

r71

Hello folks,
I'm trying to take a stab at this 3d printing. I purchased the CR 10-S5, the big boi. I was wondering if anybody could share a printing profile for me to start doodling with the print. I already purchased the stl files form do3d. Any help would be great. Thanks.

You're going to find that print settings are a very individual thing. What's right for one machine may not be good for another, even of the same make and model, due to variances in the quality of the machine's parts. Printing temperatures and print speeds are going to vary by material, and by individual brand of material. And frequently by different colors from the same manufacturer. Or different batches of the same color. And... or... well, you see where I'm going with this. :)

There are some things you can start with though. Cura should have a pre-made starter profile for the CR-10 series printers under "Other" when you set up or add a printer. If you plan on printing with PLA, try a baseline of 200 degrees at the hot end, 50 degrees on the bed, and maybe 45 mm/sec print speed. That's usually a fairly safe set of parameters for most PLA, even if it's not the perfect combination.

Things like infill, supports, number of shells/walls and top/bottom layers.... that stuff can vary on every print, and it's just something you have to play with and gain some experience in. Unfortunately there are no magic numbers you can plug in to make sure it Just Works™ every time... you kind of have to accept that you're liable to have some spectacular print failures at first until you get a little knowledge under your belt. And after that too, when you forget to change one important setting, or the power goes out, or the cat jumps on the machine, or.... :D

I was a Cura cheerleader until I tried Simplify3D. I'm getting better prints now. Of course it comes at a price.

For cura, going off memory I came up with this for fairly good prints:

190 nozzle temp for pla
6 top layers
60 for bed temp
50 print speed
6.5 retraction distance
up the retraction speed some
slow down the acceleration and jerk some
.25 z distance on supports
combing - not in skin

The thing I hate about S3D is the supports. Default settings are bad. The algorithm to generate automatic supports is incredibly dumb. I find myself manually adding the supports more often than not.

I just got simplify3D. Do3d told me to use default setting.
Before you dive right into your print files for the project, do a few test prints that measure the accuracy for overhang, stringing etc. There are several on thingiverse you can download the stl files so you can dial in your settings. The prints only take a few minutes and after you increase/decrease your settings, print another until you get it right or how you like it. Then move on to your actual print so you don't end up with a failed print or ugly one at that. The test prints use very little filament.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back