Cthulhu Idol Build

unfortunately im in the opposite boat :lol at the time i had an excess of cash, feverishly waiting for it to go on sale so i could buy it, and now im flat broke. oh well :lol

Holy crap Nick, I just found this thread man. AMAZING! You should have one made and mail it to Gulliermo del Toro. 50 bucks says he would write you a Thank You letter.

I'd love Guillermo to have one. I hope one of them eventually makes its way to him.

Thinking about it, I've got a few friends of friends in the comics world that might be able to get a statue to him. Hmmm...

I love this project. From you sketches to your sculpt, you are a talented young man! I'm excited to see the casts of the sculpture. Please add me to the list of those wanting a copy!

oh darn, i've reached the last page. still, this has been super inspirational. how much do you estimate your total molding/casting costs are at this point? i'm on a student budget and while i can afford clay, i'd like to get a feel for what the average 'replication cost' is for a project like this. :)

Sorry for the lack of updates. Busy with other stuff as usual but progress is being made!

I've starting building the prototype for the wooden base. I was able to cut down a long piece of nice 2x2 wood into the proper shapes needed to make the frame. In fact I was able to cut the piece into two strips of the correct shape. Hardly any wasted wood! My table saw is really crappy so it was a little trickier than it should've been.

Also my first time staining wood. I'm using minwax "espresso" standard oil based stain. So far everything has gone according to plan and is looking pretty good!

I do wish I had a chop saw for the 45 degree cuts at the corners for a more accurate fit. I'll probably borrow one from a friend when I make my big run of parts.

A piece of felt will go into the recessed area. Green, red, burgundy or black though? Hmmmm...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375905737.493929.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375905749.395386.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375905765.411443.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375905775.677464.jpg

cthulhu-idol-build-huzejuqu.jpg-273571d1389676883

Attachments

• huzejuqu.jpg
    huzejuqu.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,020
Last edited:
A piece of felt will go into the recessed area. Green, red, burgundy or black though? Hmmmm...

Looking great, Nick.

It's a tough decision, the felt color. My first inclination is that you go black, because where the fit isn't perfect that will just go away, visually, and not become a funny line of some distracting color. That said... both green and burgundy strike me as very "museum institutional," so... it would add in a way to the overall story of the total object -- the base being a second part of the life of the statue that also comes from some specific place with its own character. It's a minor detail, but because it has more than one good answer, it's tough. And clearly you are a man who values "minor" details.

Can't wait to see which way you go.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back