Cthulhu from a Non-Fan: Or Trying Not to Rip People Off

PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It is with great hesitation that I post this thread, as I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but after Nick Daring's awesome build; I began seeing more of these idols pop up. I don't know if it's a subconscious thing of me looking for patterns but, nonetheless, I am seeing these crop more frequently around the places I prowl on the internet. In fact, I saw it so much that I thought I'd give it a try, despite me not liking the works of Lovecraft.

I'd like to start with mentioning that I don't know much on the lore of Cthulhu other than the summaries I've read on from Wikipedia and images plucked from the internet. It's only with that, that I have a reference point to start from for sculpting the thing. I know there is a description detailing how it looks and a little doodle that shows what Lovecraft imagined and, that's a good as any place to start from, but I wanted something less traditional but in the lines of what he was talking about.

Problem was, I just didn't know what to do to get there. I just had some sketches on the shape that I wanted it to have and that was it. Everything else was just sculpting on the fly, adhering to the conventional aspects that the creature/statue was supposed to have that I've seen from various interpretations. From what I gathered: a chunky, octopus, man-dragon sitting on a block.

With that, I just dove right in and roughed out a shape and some details in an afternoon. I was afraid of not having enough clay to work with but, to my surprise, I had enough to where it comes close to 8 inches in height. What luck!

001.jpg 002.jpg

I knew I wanted to stray a bit away from convention with his base, a square block, and went with a narrow pedestal type deal (the base is sort of trapezoid-shaped). Like, it was chipped away from a single block of 'mystery' stone. Having the hands on the knees makes it look too human to me, so I opted for something more gargoyle-like.

I was really not sure at that point of what I wanted it too look like. I was playing with my dog outside and found a young grub on the ground and thought that would be a good look. Maybe with a hint of Rancor pit monster? Something Geiger-esque minus all the penises? At this point, I was just sketching out ideas. All I knew is that I wanted this thing to like more animal-like, really fat, and pathetic; hence the small, rudimentary wings. If this thing is fat and slumbering underground for several millenia; surely it'd lose some function of its wings, right?).

To be honest, though, throughout the entire sculpting process; I just kept thinking about Zoidberg. At one point, I was toying around with the idea of just scraping the whole thing and just slapping two big eyes and some claws and call it. But I didn't. I kept the Zoidberg fat rolls and just based everything off from that in terms of shape.

Oh, this came into being from just playing around, too!

005.jpg 006.jpg 009.jpg

Then some on and off work over the next few days led to this:

005.jpg 004.jpg 003.jpg 002.jpg

Little mumps came in to double for scales (I broke out in a rash not too long ago from some resin and thought it was a good, creepy look for the thing) and I saw an idol on this board with asymmetric eyes and thought that looked too good to not incorporate into mine. Apologies for ripping you off, if you're reading this.

I'm gonna play with some more textures and refine a few things but, for the most part, I'm quite happy with how it is now. I think after I nail the finishing touches; I'll call it done. For just goofing around with not knowing much in way of the creature's backstory, I think it's close to capturing the lumpy, grotesque, pathetic, fat sack-of-crap animal/gargoyle thing that I was kinda hoping to achieve while forming it.

Let me know what you think below and any/all input is appreciated!

I think it's a good rendition and fits well with what's described. It's funny you say about claws, I have a sketch of a Cthulhu of my own that I want to make and he's got lobsterish Zoidberg claws :D

You should defiitely read the book, it's a classic and it's also amazing to see how many other horror books/films have 'borrowed' themes from it. Plus it's only a short story so wouldn't take long.

Very nice sculpt PoopaPapaPalps (quite a handle you have there!). I know what you are saying. I think Lovecraft has really boomed overthe last few years but often I think, not so much from his writing but more so from the "nerd" trend that seems so reluctant to die. Hopefully it might expose a few folk to his work who wouldn't normally read him. I dig his work but I also like a lot of other authors. I certainly don't hold him over many other but the "lore" great fun. Again, really nice work man.

I think it's a good rendition and fits well with what's described. It's funny you say about claws, I have a sketch of a Cthulhu of my own that I want to make and he's got lobsterish Zoidberg claws :D

You should defiitely read the book, it's a classic and it's also amazing to see how many other horror books/films have 'borrowed' themes from it. Plus it's only a short story so wouldn't take long.

Thanks, great minds do think alike! I've actually read some of his stuff before (whether before or after Cthulhu, I don't know) and it's just not for me. Maybe I'll try again with some other things in the future but I'm in no rush right now.

Very nice sculpt PoopaPapaPalps (quite a handle you have there!). I know what you are saying. I think Lovecraft has really boomed overthe last few years but often I think, not so much from his writing but more so from the "nerd" trend that seems so reluctant to die. Hopefully it might expose a few folk to his work who wouldn't normally read him. I dig his work but I also like a lot of other authors. I certainly don't hold him over many other but the "lore" great fun. Again, really nice work man.

My sentiments on this boom on Lovecraft, as well. I get odd looks when I'm around certain crowds and H.P. comes up and I mention I'm not a fan. It's like my geek-cred isn't good anymore. I liken it to being a non-traditional punk in the 80's being around the "traditional" punks and they ask you where your leather jacket is at.

Oh, and thank you. I'm a fan of saying "Chang-k", as well. Though I'm sure it's far off from what it's supposed to sound like.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks awesome! Can't wait to see where you take it!

Prepare to be sorely disappointed; you've set the bar too high, Nick.:p

Thanks, great minds do think alike! I've actually read some of his stuff before (whether before or after Cthulhu, I don't know) and it's just not for me. Maybe I'll try again with some other things in the future but I'm in no rush right now.

I liken it to being a non-traditional punk in the 80's being around the "traditional" punks and they ask you where your leather jacket is at.

Oh, and thank you. I'm a fan of saying "Chang-k", as well. Though I'm sure it's far off from what it's supposed to sound like.

Hahaha ah yes, punk as long as it fits "our" idea of punk.

Chaank was the evil corporation in Death Machine. Great movie, check it out if you can find it.

Just got done with a commission and thought I'd fiddle with this a little bit more to relax.

007.jpg

Made up some carvings on the base after I chipped and shaved some chunks off of the statue base to make it look more carved. I don't know how well I did at achieving that but after making it more asymmetric (I thought it wasn't lumpy enough) and adding a few more textures; I think I'ma call this done and see if I can't round up some cash for molding and casting this thing to paint.

Got some paper props in mind to go with this to give it a story. We'll see how that goes and I'll post what I get up here.

Just a quick update: Got one of my paper props that is gonna accompany this (a letter from the previous owner) written out yesterday, to my liking. Problem being is that after I revised the original, the letter grew from 7 to 13 pages.

Dunno how I feel about that but I'll be sure to show I what I do with them here.

Second test pull (the first was horrendous) and test paint turned out better than I could've hoped. For goofing around, looking for what I liked; this turned out rather purty!

003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

Just two, simple layers of dark green, dry-brushed over some brass (in place of the gold I don't have) sandwiched inbetween them, along with a wash of brown over the whole thing; clear coated and dusted with some talcum powder to create that dustiness. The layer of green on top of the brass made it look more yellow than it is but the overall effect of the gold peppering the rock material is pretty convincing, I think. I don't know about the greenish black coloring it's supposed to have. I think I got a little overzealous with the green when I was brushing it on but, nonetheless, it looks okay to me.

The only real problem I need to remedy at this point is in my casting process: I can't seem to avoid air bubbles getting trapped in the eyes despite how thin I pour a layer in the mold. I was thinking of using baby powder to pull the resin in the mold, but using Onyx, I'm worried the white powder will be too visible once the resin cures.

One more paper prop to go, in the meantime.

Last edited:
The talcom powder didn't show up during my casting process with Onyx.

I simply dusted the mold and blew out as much as I could. A super thin layer of talcum remained. I think it just absorbs into the resin once it's poured in.

The talcom powder didn't show up during my casting process with Onyx.

I simply dusted the mold and blew out as much as I could. A super thin layer of talcum remained. I think it just absorbs into the resin once it's poured in.

Well, that's great news. Thanks, Nick!

The only real problem I need to remedy at this point is in my casting process: I can't seem to avoid air bubbles getting trapped in the eyes despite how thin I pour a layer in the mold. I was thinking of using baby powder to pull the resin in the mold, but using Onyx, I'm worried the white powder will be too visible once the resin cures.

Hmmm, right with you there Brother! Good tip from Mr Daring, I may have to try that myself. Great effect on the paint tho'!

Last edited:
Bingo-bango; it's done! Paper props and all! Along with the statue, my 13 page letter and propaganda flyer.

003.jpg Cthulhu+Propoganda.jpg

I originally was just gonna make the letter, but after getting a few interests piqued, I thought it'd be fun for those people who buy one of these from me to get something a little extra. Really worthless, but fun all the same.

Thanks to the internet, attached to this message is a PDF of the letter I wrote to coincide with this Idol (yet vague enough to work with any idol, if you so please) for you folks out there to read for your pleasure/displeasure. Print it out if you like and spread it about, just be sure to send the credit back my way. ;)

View attachment The Idol Letters.pdf

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back