Crusading Order Crosses help

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Flecktarn92, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Flecktarn92

Flecktarn92 Active Member

So I've been making some knight surcoats, a bunch in white and a bunch in black (I'll post pictures soon). I want to make these surcoats for four different orders, the Templars, the Hospitallers, the Teutonic order, and the Knights of St. Lazarus.

My problem is that there are so many versions of crosses for each order. I've been trying to look at old paintings and have been cross referencing them with screen grabs from Kingdom of Heaven, Arn and games like Assassin's Creed etc.

So has anyone done the same or know of a good reference site/location to look at different versions or provides a more definitive answer. I want to make them as real as possible but in that lies the problem.

Thanks.

2. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

3. Flecktarn92

SCA to the rescue again. Thanks this should help me a bit.

4. 68HC11

68HC11 New Member

I ran into the same problem when trying to create a Hospitaller outfit. The well know triangular cross is a relatively late development & didn't fit well with late 13th early 14th century as what I was trying to model. In the end I ended up relying on combination of historical references and educated guess, combined with a bit of "coolness" interpretation.

5. Flecktarn92

I've seen a lot of Hospitaller costumes and Templar, they both seem to interchange their crosses specifically the triangular one. For the Hospitallers I'm probably going to go with the cross seen in Kingdom of Heaven, the long normal cross and use that one for the Templars, maybe.