Crossover movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Jet Beetle, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I was watching Robocop today thinking how it could have easily been placed as a prequel to Terminator (I'm aware of the comics did this). From there I got to thinking about Aliens - Burke telling Bishop that Ash was one of the Hyperdyne series of "Artificial people" - making Ash a bit more untrustworthy than the Bishop line of robots. Alien is connected to Predator and I remember someone pointing out that Kurt Russell's Soldier is connected to Blade Runner (the battle Roy Batty mentions of the "War ships ablaze off Orion" - is listed as one of the fights Kurt fought in.

Trading Places is connected to Coming to America (funniest in joke ever).

Romy and Michelle actually live in the Tarantino universe where Pulp Fiction and Reservior Dogs took place!!! When they leave for their reunion there's a Red Apple cigarettes billboard in the back ground.

Anyone got any others - not the obvious, like the way Kevin Smith ties his movies together. I mean little known or in the know connections.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Due to the appearance of the Necronomicon Ex Mortis (in addition to see Freddy's glove grabbing Jason's mask) in what was meant to be the final Friday the 13th film, the universes of The Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, the Friday the 13th films and the Nightmare on Elm Street films all occupy the same universe. Jason vs. Freddy ended up crossing over as we saw due to Freddy grabbing Jason's mask. There were reports of a Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash film that was going to be done, but the project fell through (the closest you can get is fan films).

The biggest one suggested that I know of is the Tommyverse. And the Wold Newton family.

Much like the novel versions, American Psycho and The Rules of Attraction both not only take place within the same story universe, but Patrick Bateman (protagonist of American Psycho) and Sean Bateman (one of the leads in The Rules of Attraction) are brothers. Despite the film adaptation of The Rules of Attraction taking place in modern times, there was originally a scene in which Patrick shows up in the story. But it was cut from the film. However, Sean references Patrick when Paul calls him and Sean mistakens him for Patrick in the adaptation.

Some say that Strange Days and Dark Angel fall into the timeline of Avatar, due to the society, technology and science aspects presented in both that tie directly into Avatar. I personally doubt it.

3. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

There's actually a wrecked Spinner in the town's village too. And it has been rumoured that a space battle sequence that only appears in the trailer (for about two seconds) was supposed to be a depiction of the Battle of Tannhauser Gate.

Talking about "Aliens"- Lance Henrikson, Bill Paxton and Jenette Goldstein went on to appear together in the vampire film "Near Dark." What just happens to be on a theater marquee as the lead character stumbles down the street...

[​IMG]

Kevin

4. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Near Dark is one of those underrated lost gems that you usually have to tell people about. Unfortunately it came out the same time as Lost Boys, which depicted Vampires as sexy and hip - where the Vamps in Near Dark were more threatening. Great catch on the marquee in the background.

5. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

The Breakfast Club

Curly Sue

Dutch

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Home Alone and its sequels, Home Alone 2 and 3

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

National Lampoon's European Vacation (partially)

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (in an interview with Premiere Magazine, John
    Hughes revealed that Del Griffith, portrayed by John Candy, lived two doors down from Sixteen Candles' Samantha Baker)

Pretty In Pink

Reach The Rock

She's Having a Baby

Sixteen Candles

Uncle Buck

Weird Science

All of these take place around Shermer Illinois ala John Hughesiverse

And The T1000 was in Wayne's World...so I guess those two realities tie together also

6. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Don't forget the T-1000's appearance in The Last Action Hero, as well as Catherine Tramell from Basic Instinct appearing in it as well.

7. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I always thought Soldier took place in the Aliens universe but the BR connection sounds better. I always like when film makers pay tribute to their favorite movies like this.

8. Tank O' Guinness

Tank O' Guinness Well-Known Member

Not a movie but the Portal and the Half life series are in the same 'world'...

9. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

If they make movies of the Dark Tower books they'll link to most of the Stephen King movies that have been made.

10. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

The Galactica was looking for Earth and the Searcher was looking for the lost colonies of Earth.

They should have met up somewhere in the middle.

11. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The opening of the spaghetti western Any Gun Can Play has George Hilton gunning down The Man With No Name, Col. Mortimer, and Django.

12. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

'Machete' is not only the main character of his own Grindhouse film but appears in all 4 'Spy Kids' films.

13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

Lost, Star Trek, Cloverfield, Super 8, and a number of others are tied together through various ways.

I was disappointed there wasn't a brief scene in Super 8 with someone reading a newspaper witha Dharma recruiting ad...

14. Daemon324

Daemon324 Active Member

Black House, The Tailsman, Hearts in Atlantis, Salem's Lot, It, The Stand, Crouch End, The Mist, The Eyes of the Dragon, Insomnia, Rose Madder, Desperation, The Regulators, Bag of Bones, From a Buick 8, Everything's Eventual, and Ur all are connected more directly.

Read the Talisman and Black House. Honestly? Those two are relatively tame for King having also read Dreamcatcher, which by the way gave me nightmares for a while.

If you pay attention, all of the seasons bar one of Power Rangers occur in the same world, the exception is R.P.M., but in my mind that one is a travesty and an abomination, and doesn't count. ALSO, if you paid attention in, it's either the fifth or sixth year (Turbo or in Space), can't remember off hand and don't want to go look it up, the Ninja Turtles make a one episode appearance. Crazy, and it counts.

15. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Actually, From Dusk Till Dawn (and its sequels), both parts of Kill Bill and both films of Grindhouse all take place within the same movie universe. I remember reading that Tarantino said that it was a movie-within-a-movie universe, that the movies listed are probably the same ones watched by the characters of his films of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction (in which both of those movies take place within the another story universe as well). Some have even speculated that the Bride of Kill Bill is actually being played by Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction (I personally don't believe that).

16. Yarko

Yarko Well-Known Member

Last Samurai and 300 take place in the same universe, Tom Cruise tells the samurai the story of Leonidas.

Just kidding o_O

What about ET and Star Wars?

[​IMG]

17. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

How about "The Men Who Stare at Goats" when George Clooney is describing the New Earth Army as "Jedi Warriors" to Ewan McGregor... who of course played Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Oh and getting back to Soldier-

There are several references besides Blade Runner. In Todd's combat history is "Nibian Moons" and "Antares Malstrom" (Star Trek II).

His awards include
    the Plissken Patch (EFNY)
    O'Neil Ring (Stargate)
    MacReady Cross (The Thing)
    Cash Medal of Bravery (Tango and Cash)
    McCaffrey Fire Award (Backdraft)
    Capt. Ron Trophy (Captain Ron :sick)
    Dexter Riley Award (The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Strongest Man in the World)
    UFP Purple Heart (Star Trek)

His weapons training includes the DOOM MKIV BFG, USCM Smartgun, and M41A Pulse Rifle.

At the end of the film when they are off to find a new home, their search results include-

Anoat System (ESB)
    Eminiar7 (Star Trek)
    Kessel Binary (Star Wars)
    Planet 10 LECTR (Buckaroo Banzai)
    Slartibartfast (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
    Ursa Minor Beta (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Kevin

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    Strikerkc likes this.
  18. Stansfield

Stansfield Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not movies but TV....

Sons of Anarchy and The Shield share the same black street gang (The One-Niners).

19. Contec

Contec Master Member

I always figure things like that are like in The Last Action Hero Same movie but different actor. Like Stallone playing the terminator
    [​IMG]
    "it's his best movie!!"

In Tango and Cash , Stallone says that "Rambo is p***y" Someone else must have played that role then.

20. nicklambo

nicklambo Well-Known Member

In "Another stakeout" Richard Drayfuss while bored and playing "what line" utters the words "This is no boating accident" which of course is one of his lines from Jaws...:lol

21. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Actually, I think they all are supposed to take place in the same universe. If you include easter eggs, that grows to include Firefly/Serenity. Blade Runner and Alien took place in the universe according to a few Scott interviews from the 80s I think.

Power Rangers in Space, wasn't half a bad episode if I remember right, may have to Netflix that one.

22. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just saw Rollerball (1975) yesterday, and it reminded me of certain elements found in THX1138. Taking pills, games to keep the populace occupied, a totalitarian state. It felt like THX1138 was a sequel, although it´s older.

23. robn1

robn1 Master Member

George specializes in that.

24. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

(Is it okay to include tv?)

Boston Legal- Alan Shore (James Spader) is describing a book about parasites found on salmon to Denny Crane (played by William Shatner)-

Alan- This book, "A Stain Upon The Sea" it's all about these sea lice.
    Denny- Interesting.
    Alan- They call them "cling ons."
    Denny-...Did you say "Klingons?"

:lol

Kevin

25. tamplain

tamplain Well-Known Member

Opening scene in Firefly, Mal jumps on an anti aircraft gun, the gun screen has the WY logo ;)

26. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another TV crossover:

Warehouse 13, Eureka, and Alphas all take place in the same universe. There was the Fargo/Claudia crossover between Eureka and Warehouse 13, and Doctor Calder (Lindsay Wagner) was in both Warehouse 13 and an episode of Alphas.

27. Coz

Coz Sr Member

More TV:

Homicide: Life on the Street and Law and Order crossed over back & forth, before Munch went into LaO: SVU.
    Munch also appeared in The X-Files (tho unnamed), and (I think) Lone Gunmen.
    Millenium exists in the same X-Files world.

Firefly's Serenity appeared in the Galactica reboot (first mini series ep).

The ship from Silent Running appeared on the original Galactica in the rag-tag fleet.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  28. The Mad Professor

No, he introduced himself as Detective Munch.

Almost... The X-Files episode with Munch was Lone Gunmen-centric, featuring the first meeting of the Lone Gunmen and Mulder at a science convention (IIRC) in Boston.

Truthfully, though, John Munch has been on more shows than that, and if you factor in the character of Tommy Westphall (from St. Elsewhere), you'll find that over 90% of non-animated television is connected somehow. Toss in the X-Files crossover with The Simpsons (thereby bringing in animated television) and 99% of all television is connected.

Cross Over - Television Tropes & Idioms (Look under Live Action TV. It's the first entry.)

Crossover Grid Key (organized by quadrant) 1 In the center St

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers(full).jpg (This is the grid)

29. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep Battle of Serenity Valley, Weyland made the UA 57-D Ground Sentry Mal uses

[​IMG]

30. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Which makes sense, as the Earth in that series is described to be "used up", and in Alien Resurrection, it's been described as a $#!thole (and in a deleted scene, we see that the Earth is completely wasted).

31. Sundowner

I find this thread very interesting because its making me want to revisit some of these movies with a different perspective

32. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

33. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

There was a very weird Quincy/Diagnosis Murder crossover episode once. I'm not sure Quincy was explicitly named but it was clearly supposed to be him.

34. The Rock-a-who

The Rock-a-who Well-Known Member

I remember heard a rumor a LONG time ago (In a Starlog magazine) they they were trying to do a cross-over between Golden Child and Star Trek IV.

Apparently Eddie Murphy is a huge ST fan and they were trying to coordinate it where the taxi driver that called Kirk a 'Dumb *" was going to be Eddie Murphy's character, then in Golden Child they were going to show that same scene, only from the POV of the taxi driver.

Would have loved it if they pulled that one off.

35. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

36. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

The Scream universe and Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse are the same, at least Scream 3 is. Jay & Silent Bob make a cameo appearance in Scream 3 doing a Hollywood set tour.

37. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

The Doctor mentions that he's met Arthur Dent at some point in new Who, forget when.

In his book, Russell T. Davies talked about wanting a christmas special of Who where Harry Potter characters come to life and start menacing JK Rowling. As it's fiction coming to life, it's not exactly a crossover, but worth mentioning maybe.

38. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

The Christmas Invasion

39. Stansfield

Stansfield Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wasn't there some connection between Blade Runner and Black Rain?

Also on TV, there's the crossover with Community and Cougar Town

40. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

... of course, this completely contradicts the whole "no such thing as aliens" thing in Firefly.

41. The Mad Professor

Easily explained: Between the secretiveness of the Yautja (Predators), the fact that there were often no survivors in a Xenomorph incident, the general public opinion on android life forms, and the fact that Weyland Yutani likely covered up everything they were involved in, the public at large back on Earth most likely had no knowledge of alien life.

Now, you factor that in with the idea that Firefly takes place in a single (albeit enormous) solar system, and the remnants of humanity in Firefly go on with their lives, blissfully unaware of the dark horrors that lurk on unexplored planets outside their 'Verse, because they (supposedly) don't have the tech for interstellar flight (other than the suspended animation from the Alien franchise or the cryogenic box in which River was smuggled in the beginning of the pilot for Firefly).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  42. Contec

Contec Master Member

Should that not be Cyberdyne?

43. Sundowner

Right. Xenos, Yautja and Engineers aren't the only other "alien" lifeforms in that particular universe. There is also Arcturian lifeforms, whatever those are.

But I think its cool the thought of being in the same universe.

44. ooSuperman23

ooSuperman23 Well-Known Member

Kurt Sutter the creator/writer/showrunner of Sons of Anarchy was mentored by The Shield's creator Shawn Ryan. However I doubt they are in the same "universe" as there have been at least two of the main characters from The Shield who had roles in SoA. Kenneth Johnson appeared in seasons 3/4 as Herman Kozik, and Jay Karnes was in season 1 as Joshua Kohn.

45. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

How do you explain the fact that the One-Niners appear in both shows?

46. The Wolf

The Wolf Sr Member

Doc Savage and Remo Williams are in the same universe as Jake Speed. At least the book characters are, I'm not sure about the movies.

Wolf

47. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This was just the effects artists having fun, there's nothing to read into it.

48. ooSuperman23

ooSuperman23 Well-Known Member

I was just giving a reason as to why I think they aren't in the same universe, but I could be wrong. If I had to guess why both gangs are named one-niners it's because Kurt Sutter was doing that as a sort of a nod to Shawn Ryan.

Like I said though, I could be wrong it's just the way I see it.

49. Sundowner

Aliens also has a tie to Angel. Weyland-Yutani happens to be one of the companies represented by Wolfram & Hart in Angel As seen in the Episode "Harm's Way."

50. Shade88

Shade88 Well-Known Member

Doctor Who, Torchwood, and the Sarah Jane Adventures. Would that count?

Also there was Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, and Justice League/Unlimited. Those have crossed over at one point or another, and are also a part of the same universe.