criticisms of the new VW Star Wars Ad

DarkKnight

Sr Member
1. Vader too short
2. Vader would never be crowded at a bar
3. Force Choke not aggressive enough
4. It looks like actor playing Vader swirls his cape with hand, Vader never did that his cape flowed behind him because of how fast he walked or how forceful he was
5. I might have too much time on my hands

I thought the creature work was perfect, it blended seamlessly the past to the present my only criticism is the way Vader was presented, a somewhat dumbed down less malevolent Vader for the masses, but then again thats what the now "retired" Lucas wants

Tom's work was great.

The concept of the ad was meh. Nice bit with the dog, why tack SW on? And we've seen Vader choke people before, why do they think it's funny.

I have a great idea, let's tack Star Wars on at the end because everyone likes Star Wars! I'm positive we will sell an a@@-load more cars after this.

I have a great idea, let's tack Star Wars on at the end because everyone likes Star Wars! I'm positive we will sell an a@@-load more cars after this.

I took it as a reference to the Vader Kid ad they did last year, you know, the one they referred to IN this ad?
To me, it worked and was funny. I may have my issues with some of the decisions I've seen with the francise (Vader shouting NOOOOO in ROTJ for example) but I thought this was cute.
Of course, I'm also they guy who gets odd looks for having Star Wars and Star Trek items in the same collection so what do I know? :unsure :lol

Looks like Skaught must've had a big bulk order for IG heads!

Exactly! :lol Actually, Art hooked them up with me. I had two evenings after work, three days before Christmas to make eight of those things. Kicked my butt, since they're all "hand rolled". I had some serious bruises down my arm.

Anyway...paid for a good chunk of my Christmas gifts!

Scott

The helmet seems a little undersized and the mask perhaps too symmetrical and the lenses seem wrong and check out the gloves, definitely wrong

While I will agree with the general sentiment that this commercial was very poorly written and the Star Wars theme was simply tacked on as an afterthought to get it passed around on the net, I would counter your Vader arguments by saying that I thought the Vader in the commercial was supposed to BE the kid from the last commercial, all grown up, hence the swirling of the cape and the short stature. Now, I could be completely misreading that, but that was my take.

Again, while I thought the commercial as a whole was just terrible, I am pretty darn excited to see that SEVERAL of our member's work was represented in a commercial that will air in one of the most expensive slots on TV! How awesome is that?!?

1. Vader too short
2. Vader would never be crowded at a bar
3. Force Choke not aggressive enough
4. It looks like actor playing Vader swirls his cape with hand, Vader never did that his cape flowed behind him because of how fast he walked or how forceful he was
5. I might have too much time on my hands

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back