criticisms of the new VW Star Wars Ad

And did you get the one on the left a sandwhich? ;)

I think the EU goofed when it labeled them sisters. If you look at archival photos, one is easily 20 years older. Mother/daughter?

(I do wish LFL would add proper black plastic cape chain to its specs. There are no silver metal chains onscreen.)

Congrats to everyone involved. Super work!!

I think Tom and company made a great cantina and the costumes and masks are amazing...although too many IG-88 heads were used...

The commercial would have been 50% better if they had started with last years commercial with the kid Vader and then it changed to them watching that in the cantina instead of the dog which made no sense whatsoever to put together with SW. Then the cape twirl would have worked better, the whole thing would been funnier in context.

The commercial would have been 50% better if they had started with last years commercial with the kid Vader and then it changed to them watching that in the cantina instead of the dog which made no sense whatsoever to put together with SW.

Uh, absolutely yes.

It was just a weird commercial the way it was done.

I don't know about the rest of the project, but for my contribution it was a huge rush. I had two days to make the eight IG-88 heads, two days before Christmas. They have me ship them 2nd Day FedEx.

Scott

Grant! Why the hell weren't YOU invited to the party!?

That would have been awesome!

Thanks, Rob. :) I actually was invited. Originally they wanted a generic wookiee in the Cantina, and they asked me if I'd be willing to modify my mask with some silver fur to distinguish it from Chewbacca. It was very close to happening. I'll shoot you a PM.

Grant

ps~I gotta say my biggest disappointment was not getting a chance to interact with Tom's magnificent creatures in a studio-quality Cantina reproduction. Oh, yeah, and also missing out on being seen by 100 million people. :lol

Tom,
I hope you realize I'm just taking a jab at the haters when I point out all those silly bits. I think the work you guys did was fabulous. Thanks for clarifying that it was a beige scarf, LOL!

Oh absolutely man... totally got that, no worries :)

Grant, it would've been great to have you there! Really sad that didn't come to be.

Oh and Sam, that BTS vid is cool... lots of cantina creature content starting at about 3:00 in.

There's another thread going for anyone who wants to see more of the creatures: http://www.therpf.com/f9/our-creature-work-volkswagen-star-wars-superbowl-commercial-138636/

We've got some cool BTS pics coming soon as well...

best,
Tom

Are you guys seriously over analyzing a car commercial? It was supposed to be a parody. Lighten up guys. I thought the commercial was pretty funny and very well done.

Grant, it would've been great to have you there! Really sad that didn't come to be.

best,
Tom

Tom, you're a real pal for recommending me for the gig. :D And even though they decided against a wookiee in the end, I had fun meeting the studio team, as well as the ad agency and VW reps. Everyone was fantastic!

And on a personal level, I gotta agree with what Skaught said, because the timing of this was great--even though I was on board for just a short while, it really helped me with presents during the Christmas holiday. :thumbsup I have you to thank for that, my friend. (Actually, my girlfriend has you to thank for that. :lol)

One of these days we'll work together. Let's put that out there in the galaxy!

Grant

Last edited:
iNqY9.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back