Cricut/Silhouette for cutting Aztec/masks?

Shryyyk

Sr Member
Wondering if anyone has any insight about using a Cricut/Silhouette or other desktop cutter for making Aztec masks or general modelling masks - preferably using their first-party stencil vinyl, or if anyone has used ...Frisket(?) material with success (not sure if that's right, I'm in the UK and have never heard of it).

The model i'm going to be working on is the PL 1/350 NX-01. I'm aware that Acreation and possibly Round2 do Aztec decals, but getting them in the UK is tricky, and I think i'd rather mask and airbrush than decal the whole thing.

Thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated :)

I don’t recall if anyone has any for a free download, but someone with a little CAD experience could create a set with a micrometer and a protractor.

TazMan2000

I've got a silhouette and use it for modeling stuff all the time - scratch building, replacement parts, decals cutting, paint masks, etc. I use Autocad for the line work and import a dxf into the silhouette library. It sometimes has a little bit of difficulty with curves and arcs. But I've been able to work around the issues. I've found that a one-of paint mask, say an aircraft canopy, is often not worth the work to make. Something like an aztek mask would be well worth it.

I've got a silhouette and use it for modeling stuff all the time - scratch building, replacement parts, decals cutting, paint masks, etc. I use Autocad for the line work and import a dxf into the silhouette library. It sometimes has a little bit of difficulty with curves and arcs. But I've been able to work around the issues. I've found that a one-of paint mask, say an aircraft canopy, is often not worth the work to make. Something like an aztek mask would be well worth it.

Can I ask what base material you use for your masks? I'm mostly concerned about the tackiness lifting existing paint. Presumably you clearcoat whatever you've already put down?

You can search for Aztek Dummy. He does a set for the NX-01.

Thanks for the tip, i'll take a look :)

I don’t recall if anyone has any for a free download, but someone with a little CAD experience could create a set with a micrometer and a protractor.

TazMan2000

I've got a download from Starship Modeler - not sure how accurate it is but it's probably accurate enough for my needs. Building it again by hand sounds like torture!

I've tried Oracal Oramask 810, but it was just not sticky enough. It didn't like to stick to complex curved surfaces and would pull up at the edges leaving a fuzzy paint line. I prefer to use Tamiya masking tape sheets. They are a little more pricey but work great. Just be careful to not cut all the way through the backing sheet. Also, use a low tack cutting mat - it makes removing the sheet much easier after cutting.

Comparing the price of the masks from Aztec Dummy and the time and frustration in making them yourself, it’s probably a better idea just to buy. IMO

TazMan2000

Starship Modeler website used to have free ones to download but looks like they only have 1/400 scale one now.
Federation models had these for sale not sure about the accuracy or detail
Or you get these on eBay

Thanks for the tips :) Looks like Federation Models have some of the Aztek Dummy ones, so i'll probably pick up a set of those anyway, and go from there :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back