Creepy Things In Bottles

If you added xanthan gum to the liquid it would help suspend the particles. The best part is when is settles you can just give it a slight shake and they will go back to being suspended. It's the same stuff that's in salad dressings.

I've got a bunch of spare jars in the garage collecting dust... I think I just figured out what to do with them! Thanks guys. ;)

Dude you're friends with the person behind tinplate on Etsy? Tell them I love their work and that after Christmas, there will be many more purchases. Many more.

I was going to order some of their stuff through Etsy but they had a booth at Seattle's Comicon so I just got some there. (yay for not paying shipping!)

I've got a bunch of spare jars in the garage collecting dust... I think I just figured out what to do with them! Thanks guys. ;)

Yes, yes you should, and then you should put them up in the JY so that I can buy them all, hehe :ninja !

I wanted to see what I could throw together quickly using some junk I had laying around in the shortest amount of time, and came up with this:

An eyeball from a broken ceramic doll and a piece of wire:

jar1_zpsad639b53.jpg

Hotglued one to the other:

jar2_zps1eda9b0e.jpg

Laid that on a plastic bag and poured some liquid latex onto it fairly randomly (for a more organic look):

jar3_zps3251a044.jpg

Let it dry overnight, dropped it into a jar with water and yellow food coloring, added the twine and an aged label and Voila... "Creepy Thing in a Bottle":

jar4_zps1e21238a.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

for a quick "creepy thing in a bottle" i am blown away. my question is how do real bones handle something other than liquids such as formaldehyde. As a hunter and a trapper i have a ton of potentially creepy things to throw into a bottle. Would bone stand being in just water with food coloring, or is using the plastic "water" beads to encase it. questions and more questions, any answers out there, thanks!

I wouldn't use just water if you're going to enclose organic materials. Rubbing alchohol and water works just fine if you don't want to use formaldehyde (that's nasty stuff) and a pinch of potassium metabisulfite to keep nasty things from growing in the bottle.

Those water absorbent polymer beads work ok to suspend things but they stand out like a sore thumb once you put a colored dye in the water. Propnomicon is the local expert here on all that stuff. :p He'd know what works.

for a quick "creepy thing in a bottle" i am blown away. my question is how do real bones handle something other than liquids such as formaldehyde. As a hunter and a trapper i have a ton of potentially creepy things to throw into a bottle. Would bone stand being in just water with food coloring, or is using the plastic "water" beads to encase it. questions and more questions, any answers out there, thanks!

Here are some suggested items to put in your jars

Silicone fishing lure : Prawn, Mud Bug, Grub, Minnow Tubes, Gigantic Tadpole, Goby, Leech, Goby-Wan Kenobi or Sculpin
Silicone aquarium decorations : Anemone or Jellyfish

I first did it when I found an actual animal's skull. From there I'd make little monsters & things. Haven't done it in years but might start again!

for a quick "creepy thing in a bottle" i am blown away. my question is how do real bones handle something other than liquids such as formaldehyde.

Not well. Porous bones will eventually break up if they're exposed to water, but that's not necessarily your biggest issue. The problem with any hard substance in a specimen bottle presentation, be it bone, resin, or polymer clay, is that it bangs against the side of the jar. Invariably that stresses bits that project from the main body, so you have to be very conscious of what sticks out from your critter.

That said, it's not that big a deal. These are, after all, icky creations. As long as they're structurally sound they'll just look more and more decayed as, well, they become more and more decayed.

Those cheap toy plastic/rubber snakes you can get in shops look very good crammed in a murky jar, especially if you chop them up a bit first!

Rather than start a new thread, I'm adding to this old relic with a question that I haven't seen addressed...

I thinking of making a wet specimen gluing pieces of soft fishing lures together with silicone then touching up with silicone paint. I'd also like to display it in a jar of mixed antifreeze, which I believe should be compatible with silicone.

A. Has anyone tried this?
B. Do you foresee any pitfalls?
C. Does anyone know what kind of surface prep the lures might require?
D. Bad idea?

I'm inspired by this little guy, which I think could be mostly accomplished with readily available lures. (pic from Dreamstime.com)

alien-creature.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back