Creating a durable and detailed piece for the SR cane

Wastelander

Hey guys, I'm working on my first commission and i'm looking to find the right materials for a piece that needs to be durable, cheap to make, and a little detailed.
I've been asked to make the "pimp cane" from the saints row series:
1253363-sr2_pc_2010_01_21_22_10_34_12_large.jpg

The piece i'm referring to is the brass bust of the woman on the handle. I was thinking of either making a wire frame of the bust, and filling it out with clay and bondo,- or making the base of the bust from wood, then filling in the details with bondo.
So which one of these techniques would you guys use? keeping in mind that it will be the piece that is most handled of the project, which is unfortunate as it's the most detailed piece. and how would you best achieve the glossy, maybe even metallic brass effect of the bust?​

Thanks!
Andy :)

This should actually be posted in the props section.

Anyway, I would start with threaded rod for attachment to the cane.
over that probably assorted bolt and washers then use steel epoxy 2 part plumbers putty.
It comes in a stick that you just cut off a piece then kneed together (the catalyst is in the middle)
it kicks and cures really fast and is super strong so you have to work fast.

Once all the sculpting and clean up are done primer then paint.
if at all possible use automotive paints since once cured they are able to stans up to handling, if not then a clear coat may be required but will dull the finish.
Another option is using (I think it's called) "Rub On" wax paste.
Comes in a tube and can be found at places like Micheal's.

I've seen some really nice finishes on helmets using it but it does require a lot of buffing.

Gosh darn it i thought i was in the replica movie props section. well i reposted it there, but thanks for the info, i'll look into the wax :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back