Crazy realistic paint job - any tips on matching it?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Was browsing around the net, and saw this guy had repainted his Hot Toys Superman and built a backdrop for him.

As interesting as the Superman is, the backdrop to me is astounding. This guy NAILED the rusty metal look of, well, everything.

I would love to know if anyone has any tips on custom bases like this, especially painting. I can think of a few cool bases to show off the Superman, but I am completely stumped when it comes to this kinda paint detail.

K1zV1.jpg

twnYh.jpg

mclR9.jpg

plVwU.jpg

:eek

Chris

The 'new' hairspray or salt techniques, perhaps ...

The real scale modelers should chip in, now.

Painting is what I'm worst at :lol

Hairspray:

... A few hours later, using clean water, various brushes were used to wet the model and loosen the water-soluable hairspray undercoat. This makes the topcoat ... unstable temporarily so that they can realistically be chipped away with the wet brushes. Other implements (toothpicks, styrene card shards) can be used on the unstable surfaces to create scratches. Larger areas of paint can be removed as well ... Remove as little or as much as you want.

Salt:

... Spray the part to be rusty with several shades of rust-colored paint mixes ... Finish it up with a light coat of Future Floor Acrylic to seal it. Spray the part with a generous coat of hairspray then coat with kosher, then table salt. Don’t be stingy but make sure there’s gaps as well ... Now spray a few parts of the piece with some black-brown and follow up by spraying in other spots with some orange ... Dip the part in water and use a soft brush to remove all of the salt. The end result will leave a desirable rusty texture both visual and tactile.

-Mike J.

Great technique, Mike, thanks for sharing!

And Chris, I initially read "Crazy realistic PANT job" but since I noticed that it was you posting I thought "nah, pants are really not hydin´s thing..." :p

Michael

Multiple layers, using both salt and hairspray. Head on over to finescale.com and look for posts by a guy that goes by "the doog". He pretty much invented the hairspray technique and I believe his signature has links to full write-ups on how it's applied.

-Fred

I've done it using talcum powder. Paint the rust spot, sprinkle some talc on the wet paint, and paint over it. Works great for dirt and mud too.

That base looks way too over weathered. In my opinion, he didn't weather it to where it looks natural. He's got the technique down though.

The salt method, hairspray and the watercolor resist method all work great. Sponges and painting the small chipping also work well.

I'd also stay away from pastels and get some weathering powders instead!!

FB

That base looks way too over weathered. In my opinion, he didn't weather it to where it looks natural. He's got the technique down though.

The salt method, hairspray and the watercolor resist method all work great. Sponges and painting the small chipping also work well.

I'd also stay away from pastels and get some weathering powders instead!!

FB

Exactly what I thought, way over weathered, the pattern is too unfiorm everywhere. It's easy to get carried away with weathering, you have to know when it's enough.

GFollano

Hehe Korean modelers are nuts :)

Many layers are used to acheive this. Basically you want it as real as possible, so thats how they do it. By giving it multiple layers (depth), and playing with colors.

The salt technique is used to give it a organic feel.

Weathering powders/chalks are also used (also in multiple layers).

The key is to build up in the right places.

Don't forget dry brushing, its very important.

I should write up a tutorial when life slows down a bit...

This is totally unrealistic! Superman's flying while holding Kryptonite not 2 feet away from his body. The stuff can kill him He's drop like a stone!!!

Eh, if it's Superman 3 "kryptonite", it wouldn't bother him too much, just make him meaner :lol

I love the weathering, the piece really looks beat to hell and back. I really appreciate all the links to the how to's as well. Might be making me a custom base in the future ;)

Chris

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back