Crashed Snow Speeder, AT-ST and AT-AT mini Diorama (1/144 Bandai Kits)

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my first attempt at a display stand with a diorama. I really like the Bandi kits but I think the bases they come with leave a lot to be desired. This is my attempt to build my own base (well, it's a small wooden base from a local hobby store with some paint on it..).

I used some of the Tamiya snow effect paint to cover the top of the base, it does a pretty good job if maybe not exactly to scale...

Enjoy

I started with what seems to be my 'standard' finishing processes at this point with the Star Wars Bandai Kits:
1) Prime with the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.
2) Pre-shade with dark grey or black (in this case it was the XF-1 flat black).
3) I used a mixture of XF-2 White and XF-19 sky grey for the base color.
4) Sprayed it down with a gloss coat to prep it for final weathering which is really my favorite part of these builds.

Post 1.jpg

Post 2.jpg

Post 3.jpg

Last edited:
Below is pretty much my standard star wars weathering kit. I normally use a mix of oil paints (I think it really gives the grime a realistic texture) weathering paints, a few different washes, and the panel line paints.

Post 4.jpg

Post 5.jpg

Post 6.jpg

I had to find a warmer place to let this dry than my office in the basement so I put it up on a shelf in my wife's library, almost to scale maybe?

:)

Post 7.jpg

Looks awesome. I have 2 ATATs and 2 of the mini kits with the intention of a diorama. I also bought the Tamiya snow. I’m going to have one of the speeders cabling one of the walkers. I hope.

Looks awesome. I have 2 ATATs and 2 of the mini kits with the intention of a diorama. I also bought the Tamiya snow. I’m going to have one of the speeders cabling one of the walkers. I hope.

That would be cool!

I am trying to figure out if I can somehow get a small Luke to hang from the AT-AT, but I am not sure the scale really allows it, at least at my skill level.

I like the esb at-st. I wish they'd do a 1/48 one. How tall is it? Could you take few closer pics?

For sure!

I measured it, the AT-ST is just under 2.5" tall.

Attachments

• 20200402_184144.jpg
    20200402_184144.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 256
  • 20200402_184149.jpg
    20200402_184149.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 173
  • 20200402_184156.jpg
    20200402_184156.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 230
Excellent work and appropriately weathered.

Great color choice and I love the Tamiya weathering sets

Thanks, yeah, they make it a bit easier for sure. It's my favorite part of the build so I always have to try and hold back a bit. I always forget how much the flat coat sprays really bring it all together.

I really like the diorama. Love the weathering and snow. (y)

One thing I have to mention though, is that is always irritates me, when people build their AT-ATs with one or more "legs/knees" bent backwards. This looks wrong to me and the AT-ATs in ESB don't do that (unless they are being destroyed). And since the walking animation is based off elephants (afaik) this really doesn't make sense. No Animal will walk bending their knees forward AND backwards. I know, AT-ATs aren't animals, so yeah, there rules probably don't apply ... anyway. This is just one of my pet peeves. ;)

I really like the diorama. Love the weathering and snow. (y)

One thing I have to mention though, is that is always irritates me, when people build their AT-ATs with one or more "legs/knees" bent backwards. This looks wrong to me and the AT-ATs in ESB don't do that (unless they are being destroyed). And since the walking animation is based off elephants (afaik) this really doesn't make sense. No Animal will walk bending their knees forward AND backwards. I know, AT-ATs aren't animals, so yeah, there rules probably don't apply ... anyway. This is just one of my pet peeves. ;)

Yeah, I hear you, I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what leg position made sense. The legs where they attach to the main body broke a few times as they are a bit delicate, eventually, I just had to get some hot glue (to re-enforce it a bit) and just go for it. I was trying to get the position they show in the Sculpting a Galaxy book but I didn't quite get it :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back