Crashed probe droid dispatch pod

scotthothpatrol

I have been wanting to do a project like this for awhile taking a studio scale model and making a diorama with it. I was thinking that out of "Thousands of probe droids searching the galaxy" not all the pods successfully got their droids into action. Here is a partial build up so far. My idea is to depict the pod as it rests on a planet rusting out after many years. I like the idea of being able to create some interior detail and do some rust weathering like I see car modelers do.

Attachments

• IMG_9087.jpg
    IMG_9087.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9088.jpg
    IMG_9088.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9100.jpg
    IMG_9100.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9101.jpg
    IMG_9101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9105.jpg
    IMG_9105.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9107.jpg
    IMG_9107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9108.jpg
    IMG_9108.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9109.jpg
    IMG_9109.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9110.jpg
    IMG_9110.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9111.jpg
    IMG_9111.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113

scotthothpatrol

Here is the model all built up. The engine bell was scratch made using Saturn V and plaststruct parts using photos in the Chronicles book as reference. I am still not sure of the type of terrain it crashed into at the moment but I plan to make up some smaller size mini dioramas to work that out but given that the ship is still well intact I am thinking a softer terrain maybe sandy or muddy.

Attachments

• IMG_9121.jpg
    IMG_9121.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9119.jpg
    IMG_9119.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9115.jpg
    IMG_9115.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9114.jpg
    IMG_9114.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9113.jpg
    IMG_9113.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9112.jpg
    IMG_9112.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 64

scotthothpatrol

Here is an update. I decided to go with a light colored landscape with some water puddles and shrubs as the small study dio depicts. The ship was first painted using various rust shades with Tamiya and using a lot of speckling technique. Then it was sealed with dullcoat , hairsprayed, and airbrushed with Archive X. After chipping I wend back with some rust speckling. I have these AK crackle effects I have been wanting to use as the crackle adds a lot of interest to the ground. Next will be painting the base and weathering the pod. Thank for all the likes.

Attachments

• IMG_9135.jpg
    IMG_9135.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9134.jpg
    IMG_9134.jpg
  • IMG_9137.jpg
    IMG_9137.jpg

scotthothpatrol

Here is the final diorama. Much of the weathering and ground work was done with Mig splashes range Dry Earth and Loose Ground.

Attachments

• probe droid pod 1.jpg
    probe droid pod 1.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 52
  • probe droid pod 2.jpg
    probe droid pod 2.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 47
  • probe droid pod 3.jpg
    probe droid pod 3.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 45
  • probe droid pod 4.jpg
    probe droid pod 4.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 42
  • probe droid pod 5.jpg
    probe droid pod 5.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 43
  • probe droid pod 6.jpg
    probe droid pod 6.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 48
  • probe droid pod 7.jpg
    probe droid pod 7.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 48
  • probe droid pod 8.jpg
    probe droid pod 8.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 49
  • probe droid pod 9.jpg
    probe droid pod 9.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 56

Bjorn

Outstanding! It totally works.

Great concept and execution. I love the patina colour on the hull and the cracking of the terrain.

Awesome!

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
At the risk of sounding oxymoronic: that is a beautiful and totally realistic display you've created, and it has perfect plausibility in all respects "other" than being set in a fictional universe!

Really nicely done, and a superb job of tying all the elements together into a singular whole.

scotthothpatrol

At the risk of sounding oxymoronic: that is a beautiful and totally realistic display you've created, and it has perfect plausibility in all respects "other" than being set in a fictional universe!

Really nicely done, and a superb job of tying all the elements together into a singular whole.
Thanks alot. I tried to put a lot of thought into how these pods function in terms of landing on a planet and allowing the droid out. In the film it hits vertically and gets destroyed even in snow I guess. I thought this one came in at a very shallow angle which preserves the ship and allows it to be modeled and weathered. I also have an idea of taking just the head from the ESB At-st and doing something with that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.