Craig Boone (Fallout New Vegas)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by TK-1776, May 21, 2012.

1. TK-1776

TK-1776 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone doing Fallout costumes? I'm planning on doing a Craig Boone. After many years in the Army, I have enough military clothes to supply a small army of my own. Think all I need is Boones beret and beret patch. And a decent fake sniper rifle. Anyone have any info on those items?
    [​IMG]

2. DarthGM

DarthGM Member

John,

Awesome choice, man. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Sadly, no suggestions for his rifle other than "Scratch build?"

3. TK-1776

4. DarthGM

DarthGM Member

5. TK-1776

Right?! Now, I'm on a mad dash to get everything else. Main outfit is as easy as my local Army/Navy store, but the armor is going to be a bit more challenging. Found a suitable rifle, bought the patch and beret and I'm looking into pouches and bandoliers.

6. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

7. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

your looking for a canadian special forces baret. they are maroon or red.
    fcsurplus.com sells them. i have one. fit in inches

8. ginyu force

ginyu force Active Member

i know this is kinda pricey, but im sure you can find cheaper, but this is a quality product, haha. Amazon.com: Military Beret: Clothing
    amazon always has ome good products, and they have cheaper ones too, just look around a little bit and tell me if you like anything you find.

9. TK-1776

Yeah, I bought a US Army maroon beret and it will work fine. I think my hardest part will be making the armor. I just want to do it right the first time. The rest of the costume should be okay to get. Thanks for everyone's help.

10. ginyu force

11. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

The ammo pouches on this page are pretty close. Warreplica - holsters bandolier gun paratrooper bag canvas leather As for the armor I suggest anti fatigue mats. The thicker ones. Cut your pattern out of cardboard first test fitting different shapes and sizes until you like how it looks on you before you cut the foam. Then transfer it unto the foam, add sew lines or stitch yard into it or whichever you wish, then plasidip a base coat, strap it with hotglue. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  12. TK-1776

On the Plasti-dip which one would you suggest? I see several kinds here.
    Plasti-Dip Products Category | Plasti-Dip, Plastidip and Plasti-Dip Coating. | U.S. Plastic Corp.
    Are we talking the camo spray in like OD green or like the silver metalizer? I love your suggestions. Keep them coming! LOL!

13. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

14. TK-1776

15. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

It does come out like very thick spray paint. Layer in stages of light coats until it is coated 3-4 times allowing it to dry 30 minutes for each coat, and about 24 hours before you handle it. You can then use cheap $1 walmart spray paint. I tried expensive spray paints and even airbrush paint, it all crackles, but the flat cheap walmart paint doesn't for some reason. Probably a lot of talc.

16. ginyu force

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  17. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Probably with the patch he bought :p

18. TK-1776

This shirt isn't actually part of my costume, but thought it was pretty cool. If you also want one of these, go to redbubble.com and find captainjeff. Very cool design and you can get it in any t-shirt color you'd like. I just thought this one went well with the beret color.
    [​IMG]

19. ginyu force

wow, that looks really good, i just bought one:D thanks for showing me this haha

20. Darkie

Darkie Member

Nice another one doing a fallout costume. last year i made a merc costume for me and a friend :D [​IMG]

21. TK-1776

No problem! :)

22. TK-1776

Darkie, great outfits!

23. Darkie

Darkie Member

24. TK-1776

So here is my new Boone jacket. Yes, the sleeves unfortunately will apparently need to be removed, or so that's how it looks in the photo at top of thread. Not sure if I will need to dye it or just dirty it. What does everyone think?
    [​IMG]

25. ginyu force

it depends on what die you use or what methode of "dirting" you plan on using

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  26. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Sleeves definitely need to go, and it needs to be sun bleached and dirty, just my opinion.

27. TK-1776

Well, it just arrived, so I haven't done anything to the jacket yet. Yeah, for an expensive jacket, it sucks to have to remove the sleeves, but that's how it's going to have to be. LOL! As for color and weathering, the images of him wearing it are always so deceiving. I can't tell if it's supposed to be tan, olive green or what. Clearly it needs to be weathered a bit, but not sure on the correct color. Certainly is going to work great once it's done.

28. Darkie

Darkie Member

cant wait to see this one finished :D great find with the jacket :D

29. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

It is very hard to judge any color from the game. I believe they intended it to be tan/brown though. There are a lot of earth tones in the game so you can't go wrong with a greenish brown like olive drab either.

30. TK-1776

Here's another piece of my costume that arrived today. :)
    [​IMG]

31. ginyu force

i would suggest getting two of those strapped pouched and connecting them, and another thing, where did you get that balling jacket/coat from?

32. rotccole

rotccole New Member

Dye it kind of a ugly kakhi to give it a worn look, then antique it by soaking it in tea. Then (sounds weird) spray a clear coat over it, like spray paint clear coat, to lock in the color!

33. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Clear coat cloth? Doesn't sound like the best idea.

34. TK-1776

I got the jacket off of a WWII site in China, believe it or not called WW2 Militaria, WW2 Uniforms For Sale at WW2SALE.COM
    They make AMAZING German uniforms from WWII and this style jacket was suggested from a person on here. When I looked up the style of jacket, this site came up. It's worth every penny!! Just need to get the color more of a tan color. I can also extend the ammo pouch even larger, so I don't think I will need to add another one to it. My biggest concern is getting the armor done right. There's several ways I could do it, but I wish I could find someone who could make it in ABS plastic like my TK armor. I also found a very cool looking airsoft sniper rifle but I haven't bought it yet. I kinda don't want to waste over $100 on something I never plan to fire. It's just going to hang on my back and I have to beat it up and weather it anyways. Just wish I could get one make of plastic or rubber that just looks right, but is just a prop.

35. TK-1776

36. ginyu force

thank you so much man, you dont even know how much you have helped me with this build, im also building a first recon costume, perhaps "10 of spades" and its going by so much smoother with all of your help.

37. PaulBoekhoff

PaulBoekhoff New Member

TK-1776, good job! Nice pipboy.
    I also want to make first recon or NCR soldier costume. I have got some ideas of boots and windings on legs. And i have bought some equipment. I will Post New Thread about my building a first recon costume.

P.S. Sorry for my English. I'am just studing to learn it.

Engelnicht likes this.
  38. TK-1776

Hey Paul, thanks for the kind words. The boots I believe you are looking for are called WWII double buckle boots like these. I know they are the style worn by most of the NCR. World War 2/WWII Double Buckle Brown Leather Combat Jack Boots 8 1/2 8.5 E on eBay!

39. PaulBoekhoff

PaulBoekhoff New Member

Yes this is what I think.
    I have bought the same boots I show them in my topic.
    I also have another idea about boots with PUTTEES. Like this:
    [​IMG]

I will show my boots with puttees soon.

40. TK-1776

I need to find a good way to make the chest and shoulder armor or find someone else who can make it for me. Everything else is pretty simple. The canteen is a WWII American canteen, but I'm not sure what the light colored box is on the right hip. I've looked through various WWI + WWII pouches, but haven't found that exact one. Do you believe that the outfits should be tan or olive green? Seems more of a tan color in most pictures from the game.

41. ginyu force

42. TK-1776

And to add more fun to the costume, I'm going to be adding this to the back side of my belt. Double the rads, double the taste!!!
    [​IMG]

43. ginyu force

my only concern i may still have with this costume would be the pants... what kind of pants are you going to use??

44. ginyu force

Sorry if i seem like a pester, but is there any progress on the costume?

45. TK-1776

Sorry, I got very caught up in my Batman costume and have been mainly focused on that lately. No new progress. As far as I know, regarding pants, I would say regular OD green Army pants, perhaps spray misted with a bit of brown would work well.

46. ginyu force

Well i am still working on the project, and i did a bit more research and found a pair of pants that would work well for the regular NCR troop, maybe even a 1st recon. I found the pants on the same website you found the coat tk-1776...

PANTS!
    * Part Breeches

COAT!
    LW M40 Tropical Jacket

47. ginyu force

So im assuming this project is dead...