Crackerjazz' 1/10 Lunar Module LM-5 Eagle Ascent Stage

crackerjazz

Sr Member
I've always wanted to build the Eagle from Vincent Meens' site.
LM-5

I'm thinking about printing in 1:18 scale some of the harder to scratchbuild parts like the thrusters, the bell, the foot pads and landing gear struts.

Looking for more info on the RCS thrusters. The photos of the actual ship show finer ribs. Does anyone know if ribs show inside the thruster cones, too?

4nozzlepartforprinting.jpg

Edit: Drew new ones from engineering diagrams

Last edited:
Re: Eagle Lunar Module LM-5

I'm pretty sure the insides of the cone are clean. These thrusters are hypergolic, meaning the fuel and oxidizer mix and it ignites spontaneously. I'm not sure why the external ribbing is there, but there really isn't a need for convolutes and detail on the insides of the thruster bells because they don't get actively cooled like engine bells from LOX style rocket engines (where the convolutes are passages for liquid oxygen to circulate around to keep the bell cool under sustained thrust while also warming the oxygen to a near gaseous state). Such inner details might cause hot spots on a hypergolic thruster.

I'll check my references further to find out though.

Ooo! This will be sweet! :D

For photo reference on topics like the Lunar Module, I mostly do google image searches. You can limit searches to only "large" photos above a certain size to get the best resolution.

You can also try limiting a search to NASA sites. I do this by prefacing a search with "site:.gov" which will only search on sites ending in .gov, including all NASA sites.

Plus you can go directly to NASA image archives, and the Apollo Lunar surface journal, for hi quality photos.

In answer to your question, I do not believe the interior of the engine bells have any detail inside them.

K

Hm, this hires scan of an Apollo 11 photo DOES seem to show some very fine detail in there.

I'd still leave it out at that scale...

as11-40-5924HR-detail.jpg

Last edited:

I believe that internal swirl pattern is due more to how the metal was machined than there being any protrusions on the inside. I can also see some coloration caused by thruster firings as well. These things did get milled down to be as light weight as possible without compromising their function. A lot of panels on the LMs (and the CSMs) also got acid dipped to lighten them by a few ounces as every little bit of weight was critical early on (less weight on the LM, the more consumables it could carry).

Thanks for those, phase pistol - really awesome shots. Great info, Jay, thanks - I've been re-reading your LM model kit reviews.

Here is the descent engine bell.

003DescentEngineBell-1.jpg

004DescentEngineBell-2.jpg

Oh, Jay, I was talking about your internet modeler review and collectspace posts - all very informative.

005Primarystrut.jpg

Scaled up Vincent Meens' blueprint to help me visualize what 1/18 size is like. The model will be
almost a foot tall with a footprint of nearly 2 ft square. The primary strut alone will be about 7 in.

006Footpad.jpg

Footpads will be a little over 2 inches in diameter.

008Footpad.jpg

009Footpad.jpg

Nice to see somebody else here hangs out at Collectspace as well. Major coolness. I would also recommend a trip to spaceinminiature.com to order a copy of the SIM #7 LM book as it has paint and foil diagrams for all the flown lunar modules. And it might give you other ideas for some of the sub-assemblies (the RTG cask for instance).

Yes, I gotta get a copy of that. Need a lot more info about the landing gear struts and mechanicals.
Proper, that's cool - would look really good mated to the CM.

010Primarystrut.jpg

011Primarystrut2.jpg

012Primarystrut3.jpg

I want to add those rings from other references and also that telescoping portion. The shroud
would really hide them but they look cool.

14Plumedeflectormeasurement.jpg

Worked on plume deflector. Frame at 1/24 scale. I'll just scale them up to 1/18 come printing time.

14Plumedeflectorframebottom.jpg

Frame bottom

15Rivethead.jpg

Rivet head.

16PlumeDeflectorframebottom.jpg

Wow, this seems a lot slower than building by hand especially for a noob like me. At least they
can be printed at any scale. And at least I'm learning - what better way to learn than to
get right into a project and apply the tools.

Ooh, nice to come back here and find this project. Looks like more buttery kernels from the snack bowl of crackerjazz!

Best thing is, you won't have the same problem we have over at the 'other' Eagle thread regarding the interior cockpit to match with the exterior! :lol But, we do both share the thruster bell "lineage". :thumbsup

Who knows, maybe down the road you'll go nuts and decide to add phasers to it, or strap a photon torpedo on or something!

Are you going to use your rock-building superpower to construct any kind of section of lunar surface? Thus far that's been a kind of 'signature' to these works of yours.

Does this craft lend itself to any kind of lighting? Working from memory alone, I can't picture if had any kind of running lights, even. It's an extremely easy thing to visualize, but...I'm just not sure.
But I do feel safer in assuming that the interior wasn't a winky-blinky festival of lights. But there Had to be some kind of lighting, even if only practical lamps.

Looking forward to watching this!

Hey, Bob, thanks! Good to see you back! :) I wonder if my title misleads people into thinking it's an Eagle transporter I'm building - I hope I didn't create any confusion. (Title changed now : ) )

I probably won't do any dio background this time - this thing is a bit too big. And most likely no lighting either. Phasers? LOL. You know, this build is more towards my goal to learn how to make 3D models for printing. I said to myself I won't really learn unless there's some motivation. Unless I'm forced to keep drawing, 2013 will likely go to waste again. My 2012 New Year's resolution to learn led to nought so this time I'll make sure I do. Oh, i'm getting the hang of making bells, let me know if you need 3D printed thrusters. By the way I saw David Sisson's 44" restoration what a beaut! Makes me want to jump right in and build an Eagle transporter too. After I learn the ropes I probably will.

Worked on the ladder:

20Ladder.jpg

19LadderLeftSide.jpg
\

18LadderRung.jpg

17Ladderparts.jpg

Waiting for assembly. Left out the two curved rungs at the top for last as they're a bit tricky.

Last edited:
Re: Crackerjazz' 1/18 Lunar Module LM-5 Eagle (Apollo 11)

Started on some ascent stage panels. I'm glad the panels fit the styrene sheets I already have.

28ascentstagepanels.jpg

29acentstage.jpg

30ascentstage.jpg

Wow it looks great.... I definitely subscribed to this thread.... Keep up the good work....

Thanks, sWestervelt, but there's a drastic change of plans. I just got the Virtual LM book by Scott Sullivan - amazing reference - and it led me to realize that I don't have the necessary skill to build the descent stage with all the leg parts! So.... I'll be building just the ascent stage in flight instead, but in an even larger 1/10 scale, with this rendezvous (or is it jettison?) photo as my goal:

039lunarmoduleascentsta.jpg

Beautiful shot.

038enlargeddrawings.jpg

I had the Vincent Meens' 1/24 plans enlarged again to the 1/10 scale that I need. It's gonna be a sizeable ascent stage.

036110scale.jpg

35110scale.jpg

Scoring lines before cutting.

037110scale.jpg

1/10 size compared to the 1/18 that I started. I'm glad I haven't cut much of anything else for the smaller one except a couple bulkheads. Out the window they go.

Looking great, Mr. jazz! Now you'll have three "floating" models: this, your Millennium Falcon, and your Cetacean! :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back